• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 20 February 2024 - 07:23 AM

Hi, 

Is there a guideline or health implication on the maximum concentration of chlorine (i.e. sodium hypochlorite) in water for handwashing? We use 100ppm sodium hypochlorite concentration by dipping hands in a sink/tub for 5 seconds, not rinsed with potable water, but utilized hand drier to dry hands. 

Thanks.

Mandark

jay2023

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 61 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:16 AM

Hi, i have not heard of this being used to sanitise hands before as it can cause irritation and damage to the skin-especially with regular use. I dont think this use would be recommended by the Hypochlorite manufacturer but you could ask them for a guideline if it is used in your part of the world. 

I Have worked with hypo to sterilise vegetables and the upper limit we had in place was 100ppm.

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 20 February 2024 - 09:26 AM

Greetings Mandark,

Don't use chlorine for hand-washing even if it is diluted. It can cause skin irritation, inflammation, excessive dryness and if some member of the personnel rubs his eyes, as all people can mechanically do at certain times, it can also irritate his eyes or even worse.

There are perfect sanitizers from companies that specialize in this area, accepted by food authorities and auditors, complemented by their approval from pharmaceutical organizations etc.

Have in mind that swimming pools have a suggested maximum limit of 5ppm before it starts becoming potentially dangerous and you are using 100ppm (???) without even rinsing it (???)...

Regards.

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 276 posts
  • 59 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 20 February 2024 - 12:35 PM

10 ppm is enough & safe.

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 20 February 2024 - 01:07 PM

Post 4 please rethink it. Not even surgeons use chlorine to sterilize hands before a surgery and make use of approved disinfectants and you suggest using this amount daily?

And I won't even mention that the use of chlorine on food contact surfaces (if used) is to be followed by a thorough rinsing and you would let people who used chlorine without rinsing their hands to touch things in the production??

Chlorine is not safe for long exposure in high concentrations, in any case scenario. That is why it also has special mentions in OHSAS / ISO 45001 established systems. Because people tend to overlook it due to its excessive use, compared to other cleaning / disinfecting agents.

At 3-4 ppm in swimming pools people start getting itcy, experience dryness and have skin rushes and that comes from experience through my work, I am not even talking about studies.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 February 2024 - 01:22 PM

A chlorine dip (of any concentration) does not take the place of actual handwashing with soap and water...Period

The ONLY time a dip only would be acceptable is in the fields when hand harvesting vegetables 

• G M likes this

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 February 2024 - 02:56 PM

NO chlorine for hand washing. I have witnessed first hand terrible things with this method, because few people get the PPM's right and bad things happen.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users