• 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2024 - 07:48 PM

Good Afternoon,

I am looking for tips and tricks or easier ways to create SDS's

We are a flavor and extract company and we create natural and artificial flavors with the use of chemicals.  We have to create SDS for each product flavor we make and I am curious if anyone has any genius ideas on how to make these less painful to figure out!

Thanks!

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 March 2024 - 02:20 PM

lol.  i made flavors and extracts for several years.   I have authored some,  some of them are not hard and some are very complicated. 

There is some sds authoring software out there that is pay by use.   Hiring someone is another method.   i would recommend these if you dont have the knowledge and experience.  

https://www.ul.com/s...zhoCmAsQAvD_BwE

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

keeli

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 March 2024 - 06:55 PM

lol.  i made flavors and extracts for several years.   I have authored some,  some of them are not hard and some are very complicated. 

There is some sds authoring software out there that is pay by use.   Hiring someone is another method.   i would recommend these if you dont have the knowledge and experience.  

https://www.ul.com/s...zhoCmAsQAvD_BwE

Thank you!

I would like to educate myself how to do them, but right now I'm curious, outside of hiring other resources as that is not in our budget, nor is it going to be in our budget, if there is something easier to use to learn about putting them together.  Like a SDS's for Dummies.

Thanks again!

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 March 2024 - 11:58 PM

Thank you!

I would like to educate myself how to do them, but right now I'm curious, outside of hiring other resources as that is not in our budget, nor is it going to be in our budget, if there is something easier to use to learn about putting them together.  Like a SDS's for Dummies.

Thanks again!

I've been there. There are classes you can take.  https://learning.aih...g/courses/50825

Sometimes, your flavor houses will author for you.

You can get part way done by using the sds of the ingredients.  However once you start diluting, the hazards can change. For instance, ethanol at full strenght is considered highly flamable.  However, depending on its dilution / flashpoint the final product usually only flamable or not flamable at all.  

How many do you have to author?  if you are willing to share some specifics you can reach out to me directly and ill try and give you some tricks.   but honesly it may not be realistic for them to not provide some resources.   

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

keeli

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 March 2024 - 07:44 PM

I've been there. There are classes you can take.  https://learning.aih...g/courses/50825

Sometimes, your flavor houses will author for you.

You can get part way done by using the sds of the ingredients.  However once you start diluting, the hazards can change. For instance, ethanol at full strenght is considered highly flamable.  However, depending on its dilution / flashpoint the final product usually only flamable or not flamable at all.  

How many do you have to author?  if you are willing to share some specifics you can reach out to me directly and ill try and give you some tricks.   but honesly it may not be realistic for them to not provide some resources.   

Thanks for this!

Yes we use the chemicals and diluents to create flavors for all sorts of items from baking to alcoholic beverages.

We author...  A TON!    Well over 200 SDS's.  We probably average 6-8 a week. Sometimes these are just reviewing sometimes we have ingredient changes/swaps that we then have to make a new SDS for.

We create flavors daily and once asked for documentation create an SDS based on the chemicals used and at what percentage.  We also use Flashpoint for everything.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 March 2024 - 03:43 AM

Thanks for this!

Yes we use the chemicals and diluents to create flavors for all sorts of items from baking to alcoholic beverages.

We author...  A TON!    Well over 200 SDS's.  We probably average 6-8 a week. Sometimes these are just reviewing sometimes we have ingredient changes/swaps that we then have to make a new SDS for.

We create flavors daily and once asked for documentation create an SDS based on the chemicals used and at what percentage.  We also use Flashpoint for everything.

thats too many!  youve probably done more than me.   I didnt catch on that you were really already doing them.  Without the proper tools, they are painfull.  If your doing that  many the time it takes to author them would probably justify a pay per use or subscription system.  i get it, no one want to spend the money to do it right.       

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

keeli

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 March 2024 - 03:20 PM

thats too many!  youve probably done more than me.   I didnt catch on that you were really already doing them.  Without the proper tools, they are painfull.  If your doing that  many the time it takes to author them would probably justify a pay per use or subscription system.  i get it, no one want to spend the money to do it right.       

Yes we do them as they are requested by our customers.  Mainly via our sales team before items are purchased. My team and myself haven't had any training so I am learning from someone that taught themselves and it is HARD!  

Thank you!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users