• Quick Navigation
Photo

Cell phones, tablets, and scanners oh my!

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

LR-QA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 March 2024 - 07:23 PM

I'm curious how all of you handle cell phones. I work in a bakery and currently we have some approved cell phone usage with key personnel who need to collect photos, provide timely details via instant messaging, and communicate with employees who speak different languages. This usage is very limited, but I would like to have some type of protective case for these employees to mitigate the glass breakage risk.

Additionally, we just purchased handheld scanners that will be used in the production area and are considering adding one or two tablets. Any recommendations for these devices as well?

I appreciate any help!

Edited by LR-QA, 13 March 2024 - 07:33 PM.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 March 2024 - 04:41 AM

No personal devices should be permitted.  Gosh, the food safety implications are one thing, but the implications of a QA tech's personal phone being subpoenaed for a Federal investigation would be bananas for them and the company...

Any devices permitted for company use should be provided, should be included on some sort of sanitation protocol, and inspected per the glass and brittle plastic policy.  I have facilities running around with handheld scanners and they're fine, so long as they get cleaned appropriately at whatever frequency you determine.  If no production personnel handle them, you can probably justify cleaning them each shift with alcohol wipes or similar. 

MOHAMMED ZAMEERUDDIN

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 276 posts
  • 59 thanks
Excellent

• India
    India
  • Interests:Sharing the Knowledge

Posted 14 March 2024 - 11:48 AM

In order to mitigate the risk of glass breakage, all the key personnel shall use protective cases for their cell phones.

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 March 2024 - 12:53 PM

I agree with JFREY that no personal phones should ever be out there.   If a phone is needed by employees to do a job, then it should be company provided.   I have a similar role, and I often need my cell phone for pictures, quick communication, etc.   Where other employees are not allowed to have a cell, I am REQUIRED to always have my cell on me, 24 hours a day, and be at the ready whenever called upon.   This phone is paid for by the company.

LR-QA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 March 2024 - 01:51 PM

Mohammed, what types of cases are you using? An OtterBox? I'm looking for cases that are resistant to liquid and powder and have a protective cover so the risk of glass breakage is minimized.

It's an uphill battle for phones everyone, company provided phones are in the works but my question, which I phrased poorly, is more about how is everyone protecting these devices and mitigating risk to product in the production area.

Small world jfrey123, I used to work in Sparks.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 March 2024 - 03:00 PM

... how is everyone protecting these devices and mitigating risk to product in the production area.

One way to limit cross contamination risks is to segregate behaviors.  While certain management type personnel are expected to carry and use electronic devices on the production floor, they are excluded from making product contact.

Just like the sanitation or warehouse personnel, they're allowed to touch things that probably aren't sanitary (who washes and sanitizes their phone regularly?) so they're by policy not allowed to touch product in production areas.

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 20 March 2024 - 06:25 PM

We are in the same situation here.  And it is only going to be more of an issue in the future as we introduce many more tablets on the floor for operators to put in monitoring. Tablets are in otter boxes, cell phones must be in protective cases but we only require a good screen saver on the face.  I have seen phones break the face and the screen saver tends to keep the glass in place, unless of course you drop it into a piece of equipment during operations....

:shutup:  :shutup:

ChristinaK

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 200 posts
  • 67 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Art, Games, Gardening, Costuming, Public Health, Composting (with the power of worms!)

Posted 21 March 2024 - 02:09 PM

Also, I agree that any phones or tablets that must be used for company purposes be owned and provided by the company. 

From a personal perspective, I've had success using the "liquid glass" screen protector on my smart phones. Even with a cheap case, I've dropped it on multiple hard surfaces (concrete, epoxy, metal) and no cracks. I have had the s-pen pop out a couple times after dropping, though, but not completely out of the slot (Samsung note).

I've never used one, but I've seen apple iphone screens shatter easily after 1 drop, so the type of cell phone or tablet may also add to your risk. There are also those foldable smart phones (galaxy fold and the galaxy flip), which cannot use screen protectors due to their design. Those would also be a risk. Otterbox quality has gone down, imo, so as long as the screen has adequate protection, the case brand doesn't matter as much in terms of protecting the phone. However, you would also need to consider the plastic phone case in your Glass & Brittle program. I would suggest mandating cases that can be securely attached to a belt clip, and that cases cannot have rings, slim wallets, or popsockets, as these are difficult to clean and can harbor microbes.

-Christina

Spite can be a huge motivator for me to learn almost anything.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users