• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 April 2024 - 05:31 PM

Hi,

We are working towards SQF certification and I am creating a chemical mixing log.  Does anyone know the acceptable level of discrepancies for cleaning chemical use?  I come from a hazmat warehouse and know that when shipping out for disposal anything over 10% must be reported, but I'm unsure on the food side as far as logging usage internally.  I want to include "Any discrepancies over 10% must be researched and a corrective action preformed" but I'm looking for something to back that up other than "It makes sense and that sounds like a reasonable number."  

I tried Google, but keep getting info on chemicals that go into food (sodium, aspartame), it's trying to sell me cleaning chemicals, or just general info on chemicals, but not "in a food storage facility, if your inventory says you are supposed to have 5 gallons but you only have 3.5..." 

Also, I am planning on only doing a log for chemicals that are mixed (Simple Green and Simple Green disinfectant) only the Simple Green is used out in the warehouse.  The disinfectant is used to clean the restrooms/breakroom and disinfecting brooms and mop buckets. We are an ambient storage and distribution facility so we do not handle unpackaged food, run any machinery other than lift trucks, and any damage is tossed, none is recouped, so we are low risk for chemical contamination and are trying to keep it super simple (pun may have been intended, but only if it was actually funny).

Do I need to keep a log of hand soap, dish soap, hand sanitizer?  We are limiting what is allowed to be ordered for restrooms and breakrooms so all sites are using the same stuff, and they are listed in our Chemical Control Program with the SDS info, but not sure how to log use unless we have bulk containers and are filling the smaller ones (just the hand soap is moved from one container to the dispenser on the wall and measuring it would be very difficult with out using an actual measuring cup each time).

One last question...  Office staff keep hand lotions and hand sanitizers at their desks.  They rarely enter the warehouse, and if so, it's usually just to walk about 15-20 feet (no where near food) to get outside and it is not an everyday occurrence as they rarely need to go into the yard.  Will all those need to be added to the Chemical Control Program and/or logged?

I come from a hazmat warehouse and moved into a food safety role 6 months ago.  I have been learning as much as I can, have now been through 4 audits (3 AIB) in 3 facilities, and am trying to make sure I think everything through without over thinking it.  This forum has been a godsend (I would have run away screaming long before now without all the questions I've had answered on this site just by searching for things), but the chemical stuff has stumped me for awhile and it's getting down to crunch time.  Any guidance or links on where to get some of these questions answered would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I remembered one more thing...  We had someone say we need to number all our glass and brittle plastic, even the windows, and keep an inventory.  Do we need to go that far?  And if we have to do that, do we also need to number our brooms so we can record each one individually for a cleaning log?

Okay, I'm done...  for now.

Thank you,

Amy :)

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,515 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 April 2024 - 05:36 PM

We only log the date we open a new container of each chemical   that has always been sufficient  as per the code.  Inventory doesn't mean how much is in the container, but rather how many did you purchase and use..........a log where the lot numbers and dates of opening covers the element

11.2.5.2  Detergents and sanitizers shall be suitable for use in a food manufacturing environment, labeled according to regulatory requirements, and purchased in accordance with applicable legislation. The organization shall ensure:
i. The site maintains a list of chemicals approved for use;
ii. An inventory of all purchased and used chemicals is maintained;
iii. Detergents and sanitizers are stored as outlined in element 11.6.4;
iv. Safety Data Sheets (SDS) are provided for all detergents and sanitizers purchased; and
v. Only trained staff handle sanitizers and detergents.

What you are missing however, is a way to verify the concentrations as per 

11.2.5.3 Detergents and sanitizers that have been mixed for use shall be correctly mixed according to the manufacturers’ instructions, stored in containers that are suitable for use, and clearly identified. Mix concentrations shall be verified and records maintained.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 639 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 April 2024 - 07:16 PM

We let our chemical supplier do inventory for us.  For individual bottles/jugs:  starting with the number in stock at last count + the amount received in the time period - the amount found at current count = amount used during that period.  My plants don't usually include open bottles in the count and that's been sufficient for the auditors.

So say on Jan 1 you recorded 100 bottles in stock.  You received 20 on Jan 15.  On Feb 1 you count 80.  That shows in Jan your plant used 40.  This meets clause ii listed above by Scampi.  If you decide to trend that use and discover discrepancies, you can set a threshold on what discrepancy rate is high enough to investigate and see if it was from overuse, employee theft, or a potential food defense issue.  Might also create a running log where an employee marks each time they open a new bottle, and that can be verified against your inventory counts.

And also as Scampi points out, some log showing each time you've mixed a concentrate into a different bottle is needed.  For something like Simple Green, you can get spray bottles with measured lines on the side, and the log itself can list the amount of concentrate to water that is to be added.  Employee marks off refilling a bottle on x date and records the amounts of concentrate to water they added with a signature.  If you're loading it into bigger containers, just do the math for the employees ahead of time on the form and have them record that they followed those instructions.  Should be sufficient.

Lynx42

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 April 2024 - 09:01 PM

We only log the date we open a new container of each chemical   that has always been sufficient  as per the code.  Inventory doesn't mean how much is in the container, but rather how many did you purchase and use..........a log where the lot numbers and dates of opening covers the element

11.2.5.2  Detergents and sanitizers shall be suitable for use in a food manufacturing environment, labeled according to regulatory requirements, and purchased in accordance with applicable legislation. The organization shall ensure:
i. The site maintains a list of chemicals approved for use;
ii. An inventory of all purchased and used chemicals is maintained;
iii. Detergents and sanitizers are stored as outlined in element 11.6.4;
iv. Safety Data Sheets (SDS) are provided for all detergents and sanitizers purchased; and
v. Only trained staff handle sanitizers and detergents.

What you are missing however, is a way to verify the concentrations as per 

11.2.5.3 Detergents and sanitizers that have been mixed for use shall be correctly mixed according to the manufacturers’ instructions, stored in containers that are suitable for use, and clearly identified. Mix concentrations shall be verified and records maintained.

So I am overthinking it...

We are using Module 12 which is worded a bit differently and I'm looking at the Cleaning and Sanitation portion also.

12.2.5.3 Cleaning and Sanitation

Detergents and sanitizers that have been mixed for use shall be correctly mixed according to manufacturers’ instructions, stored in containers that are suitable for use, and clearly identified. Mix concentrations shall be verified and records maintained.

12.6.4.1 Storage of Hazardous Chemicals and Toxic Substances Used On-Site

Hazardous chemicals, toxic substances, and pesticides that are for use on the site with the potential for food contamination shall be: 
i. Used only according to manufacturers’ instructions; 
ii. Controlled to prevent contamination or a food safety hazard to raw material, packaging, work-in-progress, finished product, or product contact surfaces; 
iii. Included in a current register of all hazardous chemicals and toxic substances that are stored on-site; 
iv. Supplemented with a current Safety Data Sheet (SDS) made available to all staff; 
v. Controlled to track usage and ensure return to the appropriate storage areas after use; 
vi. Be compliant with national and local legislation; and 

vii. Used so that there is no cross-contamination between chemicals.

The Simple Green is not hazardous or toxic, but we are mixing from a 5 gallon container into mop buckets, floor scrubbers, and spray bottles.  It says we can use it straight, 1 part to 10 parts water, or 1 part to 20-30 parts water. The confusion is...  We are mixing it so I feel we have to record it.  How do we verify something that technically does not HAVE to be mixed?  My thought was a log whenever we use it out of the 5 gallon container.  X cups SG, X cups water into a mop bucket.  X cups SG, X cups water into the floor scrubber.  X ounces SG, X ounces water into a spray bottle or X ounces SG, 0 water into a spray bottle.

The Simple Green Disinfectant is corrosive and showing as a health hazard.  We buy this 1 gallon at a time as it's only 2 bathrooms, a breakroom and for disinfecting cleaning equipment.  The mixing levels are 2 oz or less per gallon of water (we are getting a 2.5 gallon container to mix 2 gallons at a time to refill spray bottles).  I have a log for that also that shows when we mix it into the 2.5 gallon container or when we put it in the mop bucket for cleaning brooms and such, but I was not going to have them record when they put it in, or use the spray bottles as it's already mixed.

I oversee 4 food facilities, but the first one going SQF only has 15 employees, so we aren't buying a whole lot at once.  

Thank you,

Amy

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,515 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 April 2024 - 12:08 PM

Well.........simple green is safe (the crystal simple green is also approved for organic use) but it's not food, and not safe to consume.....

Don't overthink it, you just need a log to record that they mixed it as per procedure , which could be to follow the marks on the bottle etc

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Lynx42

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 April 2024 - 03:05 PM

Thank you, Scampi!! 

I will dial it back a bit and my cleaning crews will appreciate it.  Recording everything with the date/time they are cleaning has been a big transformation for them (it was a single check mark at the end of the day that bathrooms were cleaned) and I'm trying to ease them into recording everything, going over it with them before we implement things to make sure it works best for them while getting it done correctly.  

PowderQM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 22 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 10 April 2024 - 02:08 PM

I wanted to give you a answer regarding your question about the glass and brittle plastic:

• I never heard about numbering all glass and brittle plastic, but you need a register for glass and brittle plastic. For this you need to take pictures of your glas or plastic article and a description. It´s best to take a Picture of an area and mark the articles on the picture.
  • And you need a risk based check on your glass and brittle plastic (high risk of breakage --> check more often)
  • In our factory we reduced the breakage risk by using protective measures (like: covering glas panes with an anty breakage foil)
  • We also included breakage checks in our work routine: High breakage risk: Check once per shift, medium breakage risk check once per day, low breakage risk : every 3 month during our regular hygene controls

For a storage facility I wouldn´t  expect a high or medium risk, since you work with packaged product. A visual check every 3 month should be sufficent.

Lynx42

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 April 2024 - 02:55 PM

I wanted to give you a answer regarding your question about the glass and brittle plastic:

• I never heard about numbering all glass and brittle plastic, but you need a register for glass and brittle plastic. For this you need to take pictures of your glas or plastic article and a description. It´s best to take a Picture of an area and mark the articles on the picture.
  • And you need a risk based check on your glass and brittle plastic (high risk of breakage --> check more often)
  • In our factory we reduced the breakage risk by using protective measures (like: covering glas panes with an anty breakage foil)
  • We also included breakage checks in our work routine: High breakage risk: Check once per shift, medium breakage risk check once per day, low breakage risk : every 3 month during our regular hygene controls

For a storage facility I wouldn´t  expect a high or medium risk, since you work with packaged product. A visual check every 3 month should be sufficent.

Thank you!  My site managers are much relieved they aren't going to have to put numbers on each individual window.  One of our customers is requiring us to be SQF and is "helping" us, but she's a bit extra on certain things.  We do already have a monthly check where all windows and lights are checked and we've been planning on adding glass items we are storing for customers (we are a 3PL).  It is very rare that we have glass breakage.
I am going to have each warehouse mark on a layout where glass is stored by customer and how many windows, skylights, and lights we have.  We do have shatterproof LED's, but having an issue getting documentation on that from the company that installed them.  

Thank you,

Amy

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users