• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are consumers well informed?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Consumers information (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe that consumers in your country are well informed about GMOs?

1. Yes (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

2. No (19 votes [82.61%])

Percentage of vote: 82.61%

3. Don't know (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Who do you think is responsible for informing the consumers?

1. The competent authorities/The State (19 votes [59.38%])

Percentage of vote: 59.38%

2. The press/media (6 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. The companies involved (7 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

What do you think is the best media for circulation of such information?

1. The press/media (21 votes [80.77%])

Percentage of vote: 80.77%

2. The Internet (5 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote
- - - - -

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:56 AM

Yes, the press media are the better source to providing information, but the information may be exaggerated. But if the matter is printed after getting edited / approved by the regulatory body then it would be fine, which does not happen...

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

What are peoples personal views on GMO though? I am certain that I'm not going to keel over after a GMO burger, however, I am not overjoyed at the thought of GMO (despite my name!)

My concerns are as follows. Please correct me if I'm wrong, my knowledge on this stuff is above your average punter but I'm no geneticist. As far as I understand it, a strain will be produced by inserting foreign DNA via plasmids but that's an expensive process and one you want to be sure is right in every plant so produce a field of plants, they're cloned or asexually reproduced so they have the same genetic make up. That seems like a big risk to me that we will drastically reduce genetic diversity and risk famine if a disease hits a certain strain. My other objection is it so plays into the Monsantos of the world who use it as an opportunity to make it resistant to only their strain of weedkiller. That doesn't sit well with me. They're becoming the Microsoft of biotech. The third thing is the thing that I like about food, the thing that brings me joy is the inconsistency, the small producers, the rare bread farmers.

The worrying thing is, consumers attitudes are already softening because of costs. I think it will happen and happen soon. I've heard about 2 or 3 news reports suggesting it already.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

What are peoples personal views on GMO though? I am certain that I'm not going to keel over after a GMO burger, however, I am not overjoyed at the thought of GMO (despite my name!)

My concerns are as follows. Please correct me if I'm wrong, my knowledge on this stuff is above your average punter but I'm no geneticist. As far as I understand it, a strain will be produced by inserting foreign DNA via plasmids but that's an expensive process and one you want to be sure is right in every plant so produce a field of plants, they're cloned or asexually reproduced so they have the same genetic make up. That seems like a big risk to me that we will drastically reduce genetic diversity and risk famine if a disease hits a certain strain. My other objection is it so plays into the Monsantos of the world who use it as an opportunity to make it resistant to only their strain of weedkiller. That doesn't sit well with me. They're becoming the Microsoft of biotech. The third thing is the thing that I like about food, the thing that brings me joy is the inconsistency, the small producers, the rare bread farmers.

The worrying thing is, consumers attitudes are already softening because of costs. I think it will happen and happen soon. I've heard about 2 or 3 news reports suggesting it already.

To be honest, i don't think the whole picture has been looked at. I'm going to try and keep it simple.

Husbandry of Cattle is a very complicated science.

Genetic engineering has been used in farming for years, in the form of "selecting" the sperm that you would use in Artificial Insemination, in order to improve the volume and / or quality of milk in Dairy herds, or to introduce certain traits into Beef herds.

Now Dairy and Beef cattle have totally different attributes. You require your Beef cow to put on muscle (meat) in specific areas, whilst you want your dairy cow to be high yielding (produce a lot of milk)
If you look at the genus website you can see that you can even have the option in selecting the sex of the calf. Male calves aren't worth as much as female in Dairy herds ( you can't milk them!) so by selecting them out, you can keep value with your herd.

There are very few farms these days that has a resident bull! Most farmers will now use AI straws in their breeding program.

So we've been genetically modifying cattle for a number of years, with little or no media attention!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:17 PM

Yes I do take your point and there has been selective breeding and selective fertilisation for years but that does not take it to the genetic certainty of GMO, there will still be some genetic variation (albeit not as much as in a natural system).

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

Organic / non GMO will take a hit in a poorer world with less food to go round.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

sandman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:26 AM

It does not matter which country you live in or are currently visiting, the answer is the same. Big companies often lie with an eye on the profits and with geneome modified food being given the go ahead in some of the countries for public consumption, one can only wonder what the next few years will bring us, advancement - maybe, but at what cost?

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France
  • Interests:Literature : novels, Sci-Fi, thrillers; Rowing; Personal and Professional travels

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

To me - and I agree with most of my native country about GMOs - we have to be very careful about GMOS.

As explained before we need more and more food for more and more people in the world. But it seems to me like oil, do we need to produce more and more, to consum more and more without changing our ways of eating? In that case we need GMOs, as big world companies.
Or do we have to adapt our way of life to current dangers scientists point out for years and we just begin to realize? Wastes are so important in developed countries, agriculture could be more efficient changing their mind that it might not be so difficult to save energies - and not use GMO.
Using GMO seems to be a fatality just for those who want to pay lower prices - and I don't think mainly about consumers.

My point of view is that the second point is the most important. To me the most intelligent reply is to think different (not think Pepsi :-)), not so easy to do!

Last, agree with GMO, my previous (beginning to get older!) scientist studies learnt me we can't play with sthg we don't completely control.

regards,

Emmanuel.

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:29 PM

HEllo everybody,

Interesting topics, the one about GMO and the one one about which would be the media for communication!!

Reading all your comments it seems that the only risk of GMO refers to " environment risk"; what about the risk for human health ?? some example ?

On the other hand, do you really thing that GMO will be the solution for the hunger in this world? Personally, I do not thing so.

Regards
Esther

Ayayay

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hello All,
Everybody have to be very carefull with GMOs because they have long term effects- most of them difficult to identify. It doesn't mean of course that they all are harmuful. Some GMO plants for example are very productive and disease stable.
The most information we get about GMOs the better for all of us.

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:21 AM

GMO is Genitic Modified Organism.. Thats mean Some Organism (ex. Corn) modified by Genetic, that add genetic Material from Bacillus Turingensis, To protect Corn from pest and can increase the productivity up to 10 times at the same areal compare with the original ones... That's Call BT Corn

According to the Corn case, There is usefull to solve the problems like the hunger in the world.. but we have to consider about Side effect of BT corn.. Because if that no control, as i Know some that can mutation Of genetic happen by the Nature.. And may be we can find "THE X MEN" in the next years.... :ph34r:

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France
  • Interests:Literature : novels, Sci-Fi, thrillers; Rowing; Personal and Professional travels

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

Hi everybody,

To me we won't be informed before a long time about risks on human health - a bit like phones, but it's another issue.

But right, we have to consider potential involvments on human health (the first part of our job of Quality manager)!

Regards,

Emmanuel

rita

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hi!

I too feel the use of GMO may have adverse health effects which may take some time to be revealed and indeed can effect the environment.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users