Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:22 PM

The last few months I've had one cold after another. I got a new one yesterday (sore throat and generally feeling awful), its going worse today and I shall be retiring to my bed shortly. :tired:

I just wondered has anyone dabbled in these probiotic drinks and yoghurts. I've heard they help you stay healthy by boosting your 'good' bacteria levels, which can then fight off the bad bacteria. Thus making your immune system stronger.

I don't know if the above is scientifically correct. Does anyone know about them / use them? Are they beneficial or just a load of old cobblers?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:35 AM

Simon,

I don’t know about the Actimel stuff but as a casual observer of your life through a portal I would be inclined to think that your health concerns are more of a physical manifestation to pressure or indeed the dreaded word 'stress' that your life brings you. I don't mean to offend but I say this through similar experiences I have had to you and the effect this has had on my life.

This year I got married, moved house (decorated house from top to bottom), became a father, changed day job (soon), developed my business on the side (including all the financial worries this entailed), sold my business etc etc...

Surprise surprise, I have had quite a few colds this year as well. Through this entire period, I never particularly viewed myself as being 'stressed'. The irony is that I set up a stress management course for our senior management team and have a guess what some of the main 'stressors' are. :doh:

The analogy used is to imagine your life as a bucket, you can pour so much into it but when you get to a certain level it will spill over the edge..

Anyway, I have taken stock, my solution was to concentrate on one career - sold my business - I now have evenings & weekends to myself & family again.

Take care

Richard

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 August 2004 - 11:00 AM

I don't know about the Actimel stuff but as a casual observer of your life through a portal I would be inclined to think that your health concerns are more of a physical manifestation to pressure or indeed the dreaded word 'stress' that your life brings you.  I don't mean to offend but I say this through similar experiences I have had to you and the effect this has had on my life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No offence taken mate.

I've been on the actimel for a few days and already I have noticed a dramatic physical change…my propensity for generating wind. Not that I needed it.

There's a limit to how many balls one can juggle until eventually something has to give. I suppose it's something Neanderthal in us (and we know what happened to them) that makes us blokes think we're super human. We always tend to reach for a ‘quick fix' like a bottle of Actimel before addressing the real root cause of our problems.

Although I don't feel in any way stressed, I only have to take a short step back to see that my bucket is overflowing! I should (and will) take these minor ailments as a cheap and easy sign and make some changes now or in 5, 10, 15 years who knows.

I would like to know more about stress management if you have any ideas or good sources of information.

Thanks for the wise words Richard I really appreciate them.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:34 PM

Simon,

Please find attached the official line for managing stress in the workplace. It's a pretty good document raised by the HSE, there is a lot of other source data on the HSE website.

In truth 'stress management' is very difficult at organisational level as one persons floor is another persons ceiling.

The main thing you can do is look at the signs & educate peers to recognise signs in each other (note the signs which are not usually evident):

e.g. lethargy, confusion, lack of direction, indecisiveness, higher alcohol consumption, errors, procrastination, headaches, insomnia, anxiety, poor immune system, absenteeism, aggression.

In terms of dealing with stress, the biggest challenge is recognising it, to quote a previous production manager "I never get stressed, I just shout at people!"

On an individual level to get rid of stress many of the simple things are the most effective e.g. making a few of the decisions you've been putting off, talking to a trusted friend or colleague, going to the gym, improving diet, planning some quality time with family & self (and making it happen), get help at work to cover workload.

Hope there’s a few good pointers here, anyway I off home to kick the dog :whistle:

Attached Files

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 August 2004 - 09:06 PM

The main thing you can do is look at the signs & educate peers to recognise signs in each other (note the signs which are not usually evident):

e.g. lethargy, confusion, lack of direction, indecisiveness, higher alcohol consumption, errors, procrastination, headaches, insomnia, anxiety, poor immune system, absenteeism, aggression.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm. :doh:

Thanks for that Richard I've got some reading to do.

Regards,
Simon

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:11 PM

Over the bank holiday weekend I took some time away from the computer and I didn't miss it one iota. I'm extremely busy and have to work very long hours, but I've realised after a certain length of time sat in front of the computer, I get tired and turn into a cabbage. At this point I stop being productive (completely) and end up mindlessly surfing the net. I've stopped this now.

Anyway back to the weekend we went over to St Annes on Sunday (packed lunch, thermos flask et al.). It poured down with rain all the way there and when we pulled into the car park at the front of the pier the rain was literally going sideways. Within 5 minutes the rain had stopped and the clouds dispersed to reveal blue skies and bright sunshine - it stayed like that all day. Had a really fun time paddling in the sea (what a walk that was), the boys had a go on the trampolines; went on the pier and we even had a ride on a little train. On Monday we went fishing, messed about in the woods, and got really muddy.

Coincidence or not this week I feel great and I'm actually being more productive than ever. The moral of this fascinating tale is leisure time is very, very important. It's about getting the right balance.

Just off to do a few star jumps. :thumbup:

Regards,
Simon

Puzzle

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Petrolhead, sleeping, too much food and many other items that are forgotten!!

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:13 PM

My stress level is very high at present.

Can't exercise properly due to an old injury restricting movement. That WILL change soon.

Thing is , I know what is causing the stress and am dealing with them.

Top your original query, many years ago an ex-colleague 'swore' by pro-biotics. Not your yoghurts but the genuine article. The trick is to know precisely what is wrong and then use the correct treatment.

The problem with anti-biotics is tey are quite 'general' and are like spraying a cure as opposed to being directed at any one item, therefore easier to proscribe. Pro-biotics take a lot more skill to use safely.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:33 AM

I've continued with the Actimel, been taking it for a couple of weeks or so every morning. Whether it actual does anything for the immune system is debatable but anyway it's a nice refreshing drink first thing in the morning. :tired:

I think we should retitle this thread ‘Men's Health'.

Regards,
Simon

Puzzle

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Petrolhead, sleeping, too much food and many other items that are forgotten!!

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:42 AM

Could always be the 'placebo' affect.

:D

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2004 - 09:13 PM

Could always be the 'placebo' affect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Weren't they a very, very poor 90's pop group? :dunno:

Regards,
Simon

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2004 - 08:36 AM

Was'nt one of their songs called 'Nancy Boy'. I'm sure this is still many peoples interpretaion of stress.

Glad you had some good R&R, it does seem to make the world of difference.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:20 AM

Was'nt one of their songs called 'Nancy Boy'. I'm sure this is still many peoples interpretaion of stress.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I think it was, I was thinking about 'spaceman' for some reason. BTW hat's off for the link. :clap:

Regards,
Simon

Puzzle

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2004 - 03:00 PM

STRESSED.

Now wher is the Actimel?? Bring a barrel load :D

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2004 - 03:03 PM

Puzzle,

I know you are stressed but that is no reason to 'drop an E'.

I find a nice massage works before reverting to chemicals :beam:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users