• 135 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 11 May 2007 - 03:17 AM

A big difference

ISO-15161:2001

The concept of corrective action in the HACCP method describes the processing of nonconforming products and the nonconformities and the correction of the situation. The concept of corrective action in ISO 9001 (or any management system) is based on searching for causes in such a way as to perpetuate the elimination of the problem at the source of the nonconformity.

That’s why in one of the first drafts of the standard, we see this:

ISO/DIS 22000 (2004) (Draft International Standard)

7.6.5 Actions when monitoring results exceed critical limits

Planned corrective actions and corrections to be taken when critical limits are exceeded shall be specified in the HACCP plan.

Now, in the final draft….

ISO-22000:2005 (International Standard)

Planned corrections and corrective actions to be taken when critical limits are exceeded shall be specified in the HACCP plan.

A corrective action could not be planned…. You never know what the root cause of a new problem is.

Saludos!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:24 AM

Dear Erasmo,

You are not an auditor by any chance ? My head is spinning :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

Planned corrections and corrective actions to be taken when critical limits are exceeded shall be specified in the HACCP plan.

A corrective action could not be planned…. You never know what the root cause of a new problem is.

Saludos!

Hi Erasmo, Don't you just love ISO speak? :unsure: Maybe they mean the process of taking corrective action and corrections should be planned rather than the actual detail of the corrective action / correction pre incident.

Saludos!

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Erasmo

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 135 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:51 AM

Hi Erasmo, Don't you just love ISO speak? :unsure: Maybe they mean the process of taking corrective action and corrections should be planned rather than the actual detail of the corrective action / correction pre incident.

Saludos!

Well. Now I'm not really sure. A direct translation in Spanish denotes a big difference.

Saludos!

Jahanzeb

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:26 AM

I join hands with Erasmo.

If we consider the section 7.6.5 first para, we may say that it includes the planning of how the corrections and corrective actions should be taken. But if we join it with 7.5 (d) and 7.6.1(e) it leads to documenting the corrections and corrective actions on the OPRPs and HACCP plan.

This seems more appropriate with the strategic risk management approach that we know all the possible hazards and their control measures alongwith their possible errors and their remedial actions. It is an established practice in case of HACCP system. But when it comes to corrective actions, the requirements stated are more of management system than of risk management.

In my opinion, this is one of the area where standard needs more refinement.

Regards.

Jahanzeb

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

A big difference

ISO-15161:2001

The concept of corrective action in the HACCP method describes the processing of nonconforming products and the nonconformities and the correction of the situation. The concept of corrective action in ISO 9001 (or any management system) is based on searching for causes in such a way as to perpetuate the elimination of the problem at the source of the nonconformity.

That’s why in one of the first drafts of the standard, we see this:

ISO/DIS 22000 (2004) (Draft International Standard)

Planned corrective actions and corrections to be taken when critical limits are exceeded shall be specified in the HACCP plan.

Saludos!

I think corrective action(s) on failure to meet required critical limits for a critical control point can be planned, IMO.

APPAJI

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

Dear Charles, Simon and Erasmo,
I do agree there is lot of confusion . As per Codex HACCP we are to take planned steps which corrects the product under question and also rectify the operation so that we get safe food then on-wards, as explained by every one now this corrective action is different from the concept of Correction and corrective actions as asked by ISO9001 which asks us to identify the reasons for the fault and eliminate that to get conforming products in future. To harmonize both the requirements we have present situations how to address. To come out of it I say taking action on the product is correction while taking actions on the operation to get safe food further is corrective action. Can we conclude in this way?
Regards
Appaji

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

In my opinion, HACCP or ISO 22000 enables you to plan corrective action through Procedures, SOP, etc. In case you exceeded critical limit, you can take appropriate action systematically and without panic by simply following respective procedure or SOP.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users