Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:52 PM

No takers for cricket or tennis here? Any bets for who is going to win the French Open? Is it going to be a cake walk for Nadal once again? What about Justin Henin or Maria Sharapova?

Come on pals..... let's have a debate! :yikes:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:58 PM

Dear Sankara,

Good idea! (of course everyone knows that this is just a warm-up for Wimbledon :biggrin: )

My Male vote goes to The Incredible Nadal. Regardless, he is surely the winner of the longest service action.
Female – Miss Gruntova because I suspect JH is not yet match fit. Special award to the enchanting Jankovic for listening to music on her ipod during the changeover in her match 2 days back.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

No takers for cricket or tennis here? Any bets for who is going to win the French Open? Is it going to be a cake walk for Nadal once again? What about Justin Henin or Maria Sharapova?

Come on pals..... let's have a debate! :yikes:
Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

I split into a new topic.

Yes cricket and tennis two more sports that England are rubbish at. :notworking:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:15 AM

Yes, The 'clay king' seems invincible.

I wonder why opponents are not objecting to 'grunting'? One can get easily get distracted with the intensity of
grunts. How it will be if its a 'grunting match' between Sharapova and Seles? :rock:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:29 AM

Dear Sankara,

Indeed.
Wimbledon 2005 (The Telegraph)

“It had been suggested before these championships that Sharapova, and some of the other noisy women, deliberately indulge in a little gamesmanship by grunting so loudly. Alan Mills, the referee, was quoted as saying that the worst offenders should be removed from the tournament for “cheating”. Sharapova, it seems, should be seen, and not heard.
The closer the match is, the louder she grunts. Sharapova also has an impressive vocal range, with several different kinds of grunt. Occasionally she shrieked, occasionally she let out a low bass note of a grunt, occasionally she attempted to muffle the noise, and occasionally she really went for it and came close to stripping the paint off the debentures enclosure.”

And BBC Wimbledon blog –

“Comparing the grunts Seles’ grunts are a mere shadow of the power that is Sharapova’s screamers.”

A reader’s suggestion – “Should Sharapova be banned or deducted points?. I think a muffling mask could be used.”

Rgds / Charles.C

@ Simon -

Lawn tennis was invented in Wales and patented and popularised by a Welshman, Major Walter Wingfield. Why Major Wingfield did this is not certain, though it seems plain to me that it was to gain revenge on the English for 600 years of oppression and Gavin Henson being left out of the Lions team for the first Test. As a tool of Welsh vengeance, tennis can only work if the English take it seriously. Unfortunately for two weeks every year we do. Personally I hate tennis as the devil does milk but it is a choice between that and Bodger and Badger and frankly, once you discover the latter is not a DIY show hosted by Bernard Hinault, that is no choice at all.

Don't get me wrong, tennis is a pleasant pastime for foreign girls and the more delicate sort of boy and it is for this reason I regard England's long-term failure to produce a men's singles winner as a badge of national honour. People keep posing the question: is Tim Henman a failure? The answer plainly is that he most certainly is not. Fred Perry and Bunny Austin - they were failures. Tim is a loser and that makes him a winner in my book.

The average English woman is likewise far too robust to be bothering with a pastime as unashamedly cardigan-friendly as tennis. True, some have shamefully succeeded in the past but they, thank goodness, are not typical.

After all, Sue Barker is to the womanhood of Albion what the Pekinese is to the world of dogs - all very well if you want something cute to carry around in a shoulder bag but useless at scaring away burglars or herding frisky bullocks.

( http://www.buzzle.co...-2005-72100.asp - worth a few chuckles) )

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

@ Simon -

Lawn tennis was invented in Wales and patented and popularised by a Welshman, Major Walter Wingfield. Why Major Wingfield did this is not certain, though it seems plain to me that it was to gain revenge on the English for 600 years of oppression and Gavin Henson being left out of the Lions team for the first Test. As a tool of Welsh vengeance, tennis can only work if the English take it seriously. Unfortunately for two weeks every year we do. Personally I hate tennis as the devil does milk but it is a choice between that and Bodger and Badger and frankly, once you discover the latter is not a DIY show hosted by Bernard Hinault, that is no choice at all.

Don't get me wrong, tennis is a pleasant pastime for foreign girls and the more delicate sort of boy and it is for this reason I regard England's long-term failure to produce a men's singles winner as a badge of national honour. People keep posing the question: is Tim Henman a failure? The answer plainly is that he most certainly is not. Fred Perry and Bunny Austin - they were failures. Tim is a loser and that makes him a winner in my book.

The average English woman is likewise far too robust to be bothering with a pastime as unashamedly cardigan-friendly as tennis. True, some have shamefully succeeded in the past but they, thank goodness, are not typical.

After all, Sue Barker is to the womanhood of Albion what the Pekinese is to the world of dogs - all very well if you want something cute to carry around in a shoulder bag but useless at scaring away burglars or herding frisky bullocks.

( http://www.buzzle.co...-2005-72100.asp - worth a few chuckles) )

Excellent mate. :lol: Not sure if the author is a genius or a complete nutter, but funny all the same. England are the eternal losers when it comes to sport. We may have won the 1966 world cup, but we didn't really, we cheated, but we were on home soil, the Queen was there and it was Germany. :off_topic: Whoops talking about football on a non football thread.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

I should have looked up the statistics before voting :crying: . Apparently Maria.S has never reached a clay final. Nonetheless, highly successful tournament for Serbia.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:50 PM

. Apparently Maria.S has never reached a clay final.

This time too she didn't trouble the statisticians. May be a new champion this time ?

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:35 PM

So Fedderer depatched Davydenko with clinical perfection. :bop: I wonder how emaciated stars like Davy.. and JH play some shots with such awesome power!!!

Another poser. Why the number of aces are less in clay court than in grass court? Is it similar to the hard pitches which aid spin bowling and grassy ones which aid pace ? :sleazy:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:04 PM

Dear Sankara,

In the pink and emaciated with money.Sadly yet another total anti-climax, I was afraid Ivanovic's choice of black gear was ominous. Nonetheless well done Justine, you earned it :clap: :clap:

Yes, the clay slows things down and makes the ball bounce sharply for the top-spinners (just like cricket I think ?). At least you have time to see the ball move. I missed not seeing the Hawkeye line shots, seems like French TV are technologically lacking although the all-girl band was a nice touch (if you watched it that is).

Now it's the Battle of the Titans.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:29 AM

Dear Charles,

Any predictions for today's big event? Guys like Fedderer, Sampras, Lendl bore me. I prefer to watch 'characters' like Agassi, Connors, Goran etc who add a touch of spice and flavour to the game. :rock:

I was just wondering how it would be if Monty Panesar tries to spin it in the clay court?:silly:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:24 AM

Dear Sankara,

One can see where he gets the spin from :smile:

Posted Image

As you say, it can be a bit more interesting when people like Mac the Brat Enroe are playing.
I've already got one wrong so by the laws of probability ..... Nadal by a short head.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:59 PM

I prefer to watch 'characters' like Agassi, Connors, Goran etc who add a touch of spice and flavour to the game. :rock:

Hey what about Tiger Tim? Tiger pah. What a wimp. Murray at least has spirit; we shall see, but he's more my type of guy. What do you guys think of Murray - is he a prospect or are we Brits building up another no hoper?

Simon

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:30 PM

Hey what about Tiger Tim?
What do you guys think of Murray - is he a prospect ?

Dear Simon,
I think Tim didnt live up to the expectations frankly. Murray, i think, is a prospect. Age is on his side.
Any predictions for Wimbeldon?

Ford has declined to coach 'team India' after flying to india for the inerview knowing fully well that he had a contract with Kent up to 2008 or so. They say its just one of the old tricks people do . They go to their boss with an appointment letter from another company, preferably the competitor. in many cases they get their salary increased.......... :smarty:

Best Regards,

A sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

I think Tim didnt live up to the expectations frankly. Murray, i think, is a prospect. Age is on his side.

Two years ago I had a bet on Nadal at 50/1 for Wimbldeon; he did not win. I don't suppose I will get those odds again.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:26 AM

Two years ago I had a bet on Nadal at 50/1 for Wimbldeon; he did not win. I don't suppose I will get those odds again.

You see I was always ahead of my time. :rolleyes:

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

Wimbeldon is round the corner. With lot of upcoming teenagers showing their mettle we could be in for some 'surprises' in the ladies' section. As for the gents, it should be Roger another time...
Any difference of opinion anyone?

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:10 PM

Dear Sankara,

You might consider trying a poll if you can think up say (half a dozen + "other" ) likely winners (and ladies ?). A few selected pictures might also help the less frequent tennis watchers.

BTW, what about Lewis Hamilton ? How about his chances for three 1st places in a row ? My guess is that this has never been done yet by a driver in his rookie year ? I suppose it also depends a bit on the car, McLaren seem to have achieved something special this year, so far anyway.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:54 PM

You might consider trying a poll if you can think up say (half a dozen + "other" ) likely winners (and ladies ?). A few selected pictures might also help the less frequent tennis watchers.

Mmmmmm yes please... :helpplease:

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:04 AM

Dear Charles,

Thanks for the tip. Ill certainly take the cue next time. :uhm:

Now coming back to Wimbeldon, when I was in Mumbai I have seen that one of the popular brands of butter had, as part of the commercial advertisements, placed huge sign boards in different parts of the city. In one of them captions used to be changed on the 'current' scenario on a weekly basis or so. Like for example when Pat Cash won the title beating Lendl, years back, the caption went like this...''Hard Cash is better than Czec''. I marvelled at the skills of the copy writer(and had a go at copy writing for some days - well.........) :lush:

See this one for example after World cup final last year
Attached File  amul_1.jpg   159.36KB   34 downloads

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:01 PM

See this one for example after World cup final last year
Attached File  amul_1.jpg   159.36KB   34 downloads

Is that really your work Sankara?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

Frankly, a name like Amul certainly needs some promoting.

Would have thought Agoat had more potential ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:40 AM

Dear Charles,

Amul is a well established organisation in India('Amul chocalate - a gift for someone you love' ....was famous those days). Attaching 2 threads for you to know something about Amul... :yay:

best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

Attached File  Amul_story.htm   26.67KB   15 downloads
Attached File  Amul_show.htm   38.78KB   44 downloads

A.Sankara Narayanan

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:07 PM

See the following to know about Guillermo Coria's woes. After going through it I was reminded of Monica Seles' mishap when she was at her prime .
:crying:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

Attached File  Guillermo_Coria.htm   71.04KB   17 downloads

A.Sankara Narayanan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

Dear Sankara,

Thanks for the milk links. Truly an amazing story (even has a Wikipaedia). Interesting that there is seemingly no unanimous agreement over the origin of the name. :smarty:

Rgds / Charles.C

added - seems that Coria may have had a case -

http://www.theage.co...2019282414.html

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users