• Quick Navigation
Photo

Who will win Wimbledon 2007 ?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Winners of Wimbledon 2007 ? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Gentlemen

1. ***R.FEDERER (SUI)(Seed1)(25yr)(4Wins) (8 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. **R.NADAL (SPA)(LF)(Seed2)(21yr)(1xRU) (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. A.Roddick (USA)(LQF) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. *N.Djokovic (SRB)(RtSF)(Seed4)(20yr)(4R) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. M.Baghdatis (CYP)(LQF) (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

6. J.Ferrero (SPA)(LQF) (0 votes [0.00%])

7. *R.Gasquet (FRA)(LSF)(Seed12)(21yr)(4R) (0 votes [0.00%])

8. T.Berdych (CZE)(LQF) (0 votes [0.00%])

Ladies

1. *J.Henin (BEL)(LSF)(Seed1)(25yr)(2xRU) (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. **M.BARTOLI (FRA)(LF)(Seed18)(22yr)(3R) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. N.Vaidisova (CZE)(LQF) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. S.Williams (USA)(LQF) (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

5. S.Kuznetsova (RUS)(LQF) (0 votes [0.00%])

6. M.Krajicek (HOL) (LQF) (0 votes [0.00%])

7. *A.Ivanovic (SRB)(LSF)(Seed6)(19yr)(4thR) (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

8. ***V.WILLIAMS(USA)(Seed23)(27yr)(3Wins) (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote
- - - - -

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:18 PM

Dear All/Sankara,

The official seeding list will be released in a few days however I have created a mini list based on current rankings with a bit of personal preference in the attached poll.

Please make yr choice in each part.

Since a few of the players are IMO not yet visually too well known, (not related to yr final decision of course :smile: ), I have added some appropriate pics below -

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
(J.Blake,N.Djokovic, N.Davydenko )

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
(D.Hantuchova, A.Ivanovic, S.Kuznetsova, J.Jankovic, N.Vaidisova)
Posted ImagePosted Image
(M.Krajicek, M.Bartoli)

Please have fun!

(I suppose theoretically voting should cease at start of competition, is that possible to control or any other suggestions ?)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:55 AM

Dear Charles,

Colourful..... Well, even if the voting is allowed up to the end of first week of competition, it should be alright, what do you say? :clap:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:08 AM

Dear Sankara,

You're probably right. Unless only "other" rapidly remain :smile: - good odds at the bookies perhaps ?

Rgds / Charles.C

added - wud have liked to include some Asian players but seems that none currently in top 15 except in doubles maybe. Highest singles ranked probably this lady (Na Li, China) -

Posted Image

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:42 PM

Are you enjoying yourselves guys? :biggrin:

I voted for Federer (no surprises there) and Mauresmo; she's a big powerful girl. Anyone else prepared to pin their colours to the mast - by that I mean say who they voted for.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

Dear All,

Most optimistic headline of the month -

Henman Looking to Turn Back the Clock

http://www.wimbledon...1239382031.html

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:18 AM

Most optimistic headline of the month -
http://www.wimbledon...1239382031.html

Why is he the official time-keeper? :lol:

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

Why is he the official time-keeper? :lol:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:42 AM

Dear Simon,

:lol:

Noticed the official male sweatshirt on the same link -

Posted Image

Very imaginative (single) colour. (added - was a bit unfair, there's also a white version :clap: )

Rgds / Charles.C

added - And this is presumably with the ladies in mind -

Posted Image

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:56 PM

I quite like the t-shirt. Understated and stylish. Did anyone see Henman V Moya. Great match, but very disappointing they didn't conclude it. Pair of wimps. :thumbdown:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

Dear All,

Just a short update for the interested.

As far as I can see, all of the nominated poll choices are still viable which is rather unusual at the (near) half-way stage I think. Marat Safin might prove me wrong today.
Bad luck Tim, So near and yet so far. Maybe next year ?

I extracted this bit announcing the latest technology at Wimbledon –

A familiar sound was missing from the Wimbledon show courts yesterday, amid the chomping on overpriced strawberries and the soft slap of rain on protective covers: the loud shrieks of Cyclops which, after 27 years, has been replaced on Centre Court and Court One by Hawk-Eye.

Hawk-Eye claims to be 99.9% accurate but it was not until 3.13pm, during the second set of Andy Roddick's match with Justin Gimelstob, that it was able to show off its talents.
After Gimelstob disputed a line judge's decision that his serve was out, the umpire announced that the American was using one of the three "challenges" a player is allowed to make during each set. There was then a delay of a few seconds, during which the crowd offered a pantomime "Woooaaah". And then, to loud cheers, Hawk-Eye confirmed that the official was right: Gimelstob's serve had been out by 14 millimetres.

Hawk-Eye next intervened on Centre Court when, at 2-2 in the third set, Teimuraz Gabashvili was convinced that a passing shot from Roger Federer had landed out. Again technology proved the player wrong. At least the Russian had the grace to smile and applaud the lineswoman, who nodded in shy appreciation.

( http://sport.guardia...2111570,00.html )

After my earlier criticism of the W-shirts, I was impressed by the magnificent towels, well one anyway, which although designated “ladies” seemed popular with the men also -

Posted Image

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:30 PM

With the hawk eye technology there is no need for a referee or line judges anymore. However, it would detract from the theatre of it all and who would the future John McEnroe's swear at. :dunno:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:16 AM

Dear All,

The poll data seems to have been struck by the zerovirus :bug: (on my computer anyway :crying: .) Perhaps it's Cratchet's Ghost.
Anyway, thanks to the valiant 6 voters - I think the half-way result was -

Gentlemen - J.Federer - Unanimous
Ladies - J.Henin / M.Sharapova (= 17%), A.Mauresmo / S.Williams (= 34%) [numbers very approx.]

At least all the above are still in the running, thanks guys (and gals?).

Maybe reset for the semi-finals :whistle:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

The poll data seems to have been struck by the zerovirus :bug: (on my computer anyway :crying: .)

Dear Charles,
I thought zerovirus attacked only my computer. Anyway , no thrills and excitements yet, no big upsets... going has been predictable. :dunno: In the ladies draw one can see some young stars emerging :cool: ...but as for gents, seems there is no challenge to Roger & Nadal. :wtg:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

vassilis

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:51 PM

Markos Pagdatis will be the mannnnnnn!!! :rock:

Vassilis

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:23 PM

A one-legged Serena was more than enough for her opponent today. But her 'bulk' seems to be the undoing for her. :thumbdown: A slimmer and fitter Venus is playing better and look at JH. With her slim frame she is all over the court. :whistle:

Best Regards

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

Dear All,

I have to agree with Vassilis that Baghdatis could have a chance if he is fully fit. (I had Nalbandian in my mind as my favorite "dark horse" so ...). However I'm not too sure that Baghdatis is competing regularly these days ?

Selena should also certainly thank the English weather but no doubting her determination to get through. :clap:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS - if you would like to see a map of the coming matches from 4th round on (for women), can try -

http://www.sportingl...7/draws/womens/

(other maps via the drop-down menu after hover mouse over "Draws" on upper bar)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:21 AM

Sorry guys, I have no idea where the votes went. Maybe this weekend I should edit the poll to include just the ones left in??? When does it finish?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:18 AM

Dear All,

Have attempted some resetting hopefully not at the cost of destroying the poll mechanism. Sorry if my memory not perfect (had a feeling Nadal had 1 vote but not sure).

If anybody who has not yet voted finds they cannot vote, please inform. Similarly for reverse.

I still have 5 possible additions for each list left so if anybody wants to add a (meaningful) name this is possible I guess especially as it looks like the rain may extend the competition........ (apparently you get yr money/half money back if play less than certain times on a given court (the other day = one million pounds, hopefully insured by a sidebet).

Rgds / Charles.C

added - just to illustrate the money comment (Scottish extract, Surprise, Surprise !) -

There is a simple reason why the All England Club is loath to play on middle Sunday - cost. The only extra gate money it receives does not come close to offsetting the extra costs of bringing in staff and opening up at short notice.

The difference with a third Monday is that, if only a handful of matches remain to be played on that extra day, activity can be confined to one or two courts, much of the grounds can be kept shut, and costs are thus considerably reduced. The other point about middle Sunday is that playing on it is only contemplated when rain delays have already been severe - in other words when the club has had to pay out substantial amounts in refunds.

The exact sum lost on Saturday will depend on how many customers send in their tickets and apply for a refund. If there is less than an hour's play, ticket-holders are entitled to a full refund. If there is more than one hour but less than two of play, there is a half refund.

On Saturday, only those with tickets for No 1 Court were able to see more than an hour of play. Sharapova took an hour and a quarter to beat Ai Sugiyama.

People with tickets for Centre and No 2 courts and those with ground tickets saw less than an hour, and will therefore get a refund. It was a close-run thing on Centre, where Mauresmo wrapped up her win against Mara Santangelo in 57 minutes. If she had taken three minutes longer, or if the rain had abated enough for the next match to get started, spectators would have received only a 50 per cent refund instead of a full one, and the tournament would have saved £375,000. Instead, £750,000 will be paid out to the Centre Court crowd in total, and £285,000 to fans on No 1 Court.

( http://sport.scotsma...m?id=1029512007 )

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for fixing Charles.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

Dear All,

Awesome performance by Venus Williams. W v. W ??

Marion Bartoli surely the tournament surprise so far, now in the Semi-Finals. I remember the commentator at the French Open saying her coach had placed her on a program to gain weight so as to increase her shot power. His tone suggested he felt she might have overdone it. Indeed, she looks continually out of breath.

The Guardian had this to say –

Marion Bartoli's game is hardly a thing of beauty. Overweight and double-handed on both sides, her movement could hardly be more forlornly sluggish if she were picking rice in a field. But a clever mind compensates for a lack of mobility and yesterday she produced the best result of her career to reach Wimbledon's last eight with a surprising win over Jelena Jankovic, her comfortable conqueror at Roland Garros and the form player this year.
Bartoli's best result in her four previous Wimbledons had been to reach the third round in 2004 and she had bombed out in the second round on her previous two appearances. Even her chess-playing doctor father, diminutive, intense and cross-eyed, looked happy. But did she? Not particularly. "Yeah, well, you know, I've not already won Wimbledon," she said with a shrug. "Maybe if I win it I will be more happy than this."
Her interrogator persisted. "It must be a big surprise for you to be in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon?" Bartoli pushed out her lower lip and shook her head slightly. "It's not a big surprise for me. I'm a top-20 player."
Nor should it be a surprise for anyone, for France appears as the game's Land of Goshen. The six matches scheduled for the two main courts yesterday contained no fewer than five French players.

http://sport.guardia...2117982,00.html

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:59 PM

Dear All,

Just in case anyone's still interested, I have revised the poll tables to Quarter-final levels which now complete for GentleMen / Ladies + expanded the data for Ladies semi-final (line-up also complete).
The votes in “Other” were randomly transferred to Nadal, Baghdatis and V.Williams respectively. Hope that ‘s OK Vassilis :smile: . Further options may be considered.

As it stands, Roger could prove many voters have a good eye for the Men but only one (or zero) person will succeed for the Ladies. Good luck Justine! ;)

Rgds / Charles.C

added - maybe the happiest man of the day -
Posted Image

added (2) - if you'd like to stretch yr memory while the rain comes down, -

Who is the only wildcard to win a Wimbledon singles title? ( XoXan/2001)
Who was the last British woman to reach the last 16? (XXm/1998)
Who is the lowest-seeded player ever to win the ladies' singles title? (XXXus/14/2006)
Who is the youngest player ever to win a match at Wimbledon? (XXXXXXer/14/1990)
In 1964, Jean Borotra became the oldest player ever to compete at the tournament when he participated in the men's doubles. How old was he? (X5)

The reversed/shuffled (first name) X's are - asnevrgfin2piesnej (age X slightly approximated)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:20 AM

Who is the only wildcard to win a Wimbledon singles title? ( XoXan/2001)

Dear Charles,

This is the only question which I can answer, it has to be Goran 'Ace'ovic, the only one perhaps who could blast an ace for the second serve too :o .

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:28 AM

Dear Sankara,

You’re kidding! These were the easiest ones from the borrowed quiz.
Truth is that I did even worse than you, I couldn’t answer any of the (originally clueless) questions.
(Many newspapers are today answering the third one.)

I felt a bit sorry for Selena, fully fit I think she would have progressed however the thought of another W.W contest was, I suspect, some of the reason for crowd support to her opponent. Her sister is certainly a slimmed down version of great elegance although slightly less determined IMEV.
Djokovic's weird 15-19 ball bounce pre-serve is now challenging the Nadal routine in newsworthiness. One wonders when "tampering' will be raised. This has been a very subdued tournament with respect to "aggro" so far although Hewitt looked about ready to challenge Hawk-Eye yesterday (the statistically credible detection level is ?).

The poll has collected a little more support for Justine and Roger (very strategic voting :smile: but many thanks nonetheless).

If you wish for a rapid (almost) minute-by-minute review across the competition, the continuous comments on the link below are IMO quite remarkable –

http://www.sportingl...7/draws/womens/
(then click on the “Live Desktop Commentary” box at top/centre of screen)

Rgds / Charles

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:15 PM

Dear All,

Way To Go, Marion Bartoli ! Simply a Dream of a Performance. :clap: :clap:

Wonder if anybody got odds for this Final Line-Up.

added - Pre-Tournament odds for a win :- VW = 10-1, MB = 150-1

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:30 AM

Who inspired Marion ?

Attached File  007_Inspires_Marion.htm   32.64KB   16 downloads:thumbup:

Gasquet seems to be a good bet against Roger. Doesnt he?

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Share this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users