• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:11 PM

Dear All,

Do you believe in hire and fire policy? It is practised in many companies all over the world. In one of my previous companies I have seen umpteen GMs, VPs, PMs come and go. MD himself used to interview and select experienced people and bring them from other cities. They used to be placed to a high pedastal and given a long rope and after a year so they used to come down with a thud.....T :boomerang: he pattern was more or less the same(I shudder to think how I managed 7 years there - may be because I started in a low profile).

Looking forward to your comments/experiences..

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:45 AM

Looking forward to your comments/experiences..

Any time I have an interview for a new job I ask why they are seeking people out of their company. Are they really sure they have to "buy" the competence from the market ?

Maybe this is the reason why I did not change my job :doh:

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

Any time I have an interview for a new job I ask why they are seeking people out of their company. Are they really sure they have to "buy" the competence from the market ?

Maybe this is the reason why I did not change my job :doh:

I've only ever worked for 3 companies in 20 years. Every move i've made has been my decision. Maybe i've been lucky in that i've been flexible enough to be prepared to do a multitude of different roles.

I have noticed in the last few months, that I am getting cold called from agencies regarding roles with other food manufacturers, roles that i am more than capable of doing, but aren't an interest to me as i have a bit (not as much as some .....i won't mention the C word!) loyalty to the company im with.

I've also found that during the past few months, it's almost as if senior management have realised that some of the specalised skills that managers at my level had through doing courses with such institutes as Resheath, are sadly lacking in the "new intake" of managers, and we are being encouraged to appraise these managers and get them onto relevant technical courses (pasteurisation, drying, cheese making etc) so that they know why a Technical or Food Safety Manager has a fit when a divert check isn't done, or pH hasn't been struck in the correct time limits. To be honest i'm glad that we're being encouraged, these skills need to be passed down so that new managers understand any implications. I'm also lucky in that wherever i've worked, the company has sponsered me to do further education courses, and will continue to do so to whatever level i require.

So my order book is out, course are being booked as we speak (or type) :)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:52 AM

Do you believe in hire and fire policy? It is practised in many companies all over the world. In one of my previous companies I have seen umpteen GMs, VPs, PMs come and go. MD himself used to interview and select experienced people and bring them from other cities. They used to be placed to a high pedastal and given a long rope and after a year so they used to come down with a thud.....T :boomerang: he pattern was more or less the same(I shudder to think how I managed 7 years there - may be because I started in a low profile).

It was probably the MD that needed to fire himself. It is not possible for a junior person to come in and succeed in improving the business to a large degree without top management commitment. The MD must set the vision and objectives and help to drive them through the business with passion and vigour. This enables change agents to thrive. Culture change cannot be delegated and that’s probably why these people failed and the cycle was repeated over and over. Just my opinion.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users