Chac

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 52 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany
  • Interests:music( Gothic; Punk; Metal; Indie);culture of Maya; Canada;<br />Mangas/Animes;student club; ski jumping ...and of course food

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:35 PM

Hi to everyone!

Can anyone tell me if it is in the UK necessary to declarate the nutrition facts on the product?
ALDI Germany demands that now
My company wants to know that for the case they going to deliver UK

Thank you

"I believe in a madness called now."
(X-Japan--Art of life)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:34 PM

Hi to everyone!

Can anyone tell me if it is in the UK necessary to declarate the nutrition facts on the product?
ALDI Germany demands that now
My company wants to know that for the case they going to deliver UK

Thank you

Hello Chac. I don't believe it's the law, but I believe there are a couple of voluntary systems running. On the Food Standards Agency website there is everything you need to know about: The UK Labelling Rules

With regard to nutritional details on labels the FSA introduced the Traffic Light System, which you can read more about here - quite a few are using this nutritional signposting method.

Tesco decided to go their own way and you can read about their system here: Tesco's Nutritional Labels

I'm not sure who else uses the Tesco system (if anyone) and again I don't know if there are other systems. Suffice to say nutritional labelling is all over the place in the UK. Depending who you supply you will need to comply.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:41 PM

Hello Chac. I don't believe it's the law, but I believe there are a couple of voluntary systems running. On the Food Standards Agency website there is everything you need to know about: The UK Labelling Rules

With regard to nutritional details on labels the FSA introduced the Traffic Light System, which you can read more about here - quite a few are using this nutritional signposting method.

Tesco decided to go their own way and you can read about their system here: Tesco's Nutritional Labels

I'm not sure who else uses the Tesco system (if anyone) and again I don't know if there are other systems. Suffice to say nutritional labelling is all over the place in the UK. Depending who you supply you will need to comply.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Simon

Under FLR 1996, foods that are ready for sale to the ultimate consumer MUST be marked or labelled with
Name
Ingredients List
QUID
Durability Indication
Storage Conditions
Conditions of use
Name ans Address details
Place of origin.

Nutritional labelling becomes mandatory if a nutritional claim is made and can only be in one of 2 permitted formats.

Big 4
Energy KJ and Kcal
Fat g
Protein g
Carbohydrate g

or
Big 8
Energy KJ and Kcal
Protein g
Carbohydrates g Of which Sugars g
Fat g of which saturates g
fibre g
sodium g

the traffic light system is in addition to these

Hope this Helps

Both Leatherhead and Campden do very good nutritiona labelling courses

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:51 PM

Under FLR 1996, foods that are ready for sale to the ultimate consumer MUST be marked or labelled with
Name
Ingredients List
QUID
Durability Indication
Storage Conditions
Conditions of use
Name ans Address details
Place of origin.
Nutritional labelling becomes mandatory if a nutritional claim is made and can only be in one of 2 permitted formats.
Big 4
Energy KJ and Kcal
Fat g
Protein g
Carbohydrate g

or
Big 8
Energy KJ and Kcal
Protein g
Carbohydrates g Of which Sugars g
Fat g of which saturates g
fibre g
sodium g

the traffic light system is in addition to these

Hope this Helps

Both Leatherhead and Campden do very good nutritiona labelling courses

I bow to your superior knowledge Caz. :smarty:

Thanks, it's people like you who make this place worthwhile.

Have a nice day. :thumbup:

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

sandysoni

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:31 AM

Hi All,

I am sandeep soni and working as a Asstt Manager (NPD).

I want to know how these nutritional panels are generated. Are they generated through some software or actual nutritional anaysis is done before printing labels.

Edited by sandysoni, 15 November 2007 - 11:32 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:01 AM

Dear Sanydsoni,

A simple and interesting question which, amazingly, I don't recall seeing on this forum before ??

I have seen it done both ways which you refer. I forget the name but there is at least one standard Food Science text which is often quoted for enabling the calculation of nutrition data. There are also various general databases officially maintained, eg by FDA in US and ANZFA in Australia -NZ. Some degree of approximation is sometimes evident, eg data established for one species is used for a genus (or more) which can be a risky procedure.
Independent labs are also a popular source of direct experimentally measured data IMEX.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:51 PM

When I was masqeurading as a Food Technology student we used to use the Composition of Foods by McCance and Widdowson as the 'bible' of nutritional values. The current (6th edition) is published by the Food Standards Agency and so in the UK at least is 'official' data.

Composition of Foods

Why put off until tomorrow that which you can avoid doing altogether ?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

Dear MartLgn,

Composition of Foods by McCance and Widdowson

Exactly so :clap: Thks for renovating my memory.

A real bargain at BP47 only! Interesting that the advert also suggests to add it to a wedding list :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Jarve

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:34 PM

McCance and Widdowson is regarded as the best "guide" and there is a Nutricalc program based around the figures from the book. However I have done a lot of work recently on salt reduction and there can be differences between Calculated figures and actual analysis figures. Only a small difference of 0.2/0.3g can make you move from a green level to an amber level if using the traffic light system.
Most retailers in the UK will accept calculated nutritional for sample submission, but want actual analysis figures when it comes to final specification.

As Caz said earlier though, you do not need by law to declare nutrition unless making a nutritional declaration. As the FSA have now set target nutrition levels everyone is on the bandwagon at the moment declaring "less salt", "Omega 3's", lower fat etc. etc.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:47 PM

i can "sell" you a programme for calculating the nutritional values in Dog Food! :wacko:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users