Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

Been searching this forum for a source of legislation. Beside the EU site (from farm to fork) I am looking for a source who can give a clear and understandable explanation on the differences between EU laws and the countries who have partialy or completely implemented those directives and those who have additional laws. Hope this makes sense what I am saying ;)

For instance if you look at France, they have additional laws for plastics that come into contact with food, Netherlands has implemented all but the last amendment of 2002/72/EC into their national legislation. If I have a supplier who tells me the product complies to 2002/72/EC and subsequent amendments and to 1935/2004/EC. How do I get to know if the product can also be sold in France and if its ok for the Netherlands?

If national legislation apply and that national legislation are adoptions of EU directives. Does this mean that, when its conform the EU directive, it's also good for the country itself, even when they adopted less (like the Netherlands).

Is there any source out there who can provide data on country specific legislation, specificly if there are differences between EU and national laws and what exactly the difference is.

Phew.... time for weekend now ;)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

Dear Tom,

Some similar queries but aimed more towards food are in this thread –

http://www.ifsqn.com...amp;#entry19957

Don’t know about packaging but allowed variations in food law are linked with the concept of sovereign right, for example can see the general picture here – http://agritrade.cta...executive_brief and as a specific example -
http://www.foodlaw.r...ws/eu-06010.htm

FAO used to actively collate / publish country-by-country regulations on specific food topics, eg microbiological requirements, but packaging I don’t know.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:38 PM

I've always found in the UK that the customer requirements surpass legislation. It might be worth getting the customer requirements because they will normally go further than any law will.

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:56 AM

Dear GMO:

Totally agreed with you.

BBrandDesign

Grade - AIFSQN

• Banned
  • 26 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:23 AM

EU legislation sets restrictions on substances used in the manufacture of materials in contact with food (e.g. packaging materials, kitchen articles, cutlery and crockery). EU legislation derives from decisions taken at the EU level, yet implementation largely occurs at a national level. The principle of uniformity is therefore a central theme in all decisions by the European Court of Justice, which aims to ensure the application and interpretation of EU laws does not differ between member states.

saguym

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel
  • Interests:Fountain Pens, Music, Traveling

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

EU legislation sets restrictions on substances used in the manufacture of materials in contact with food (e.g. packaging materials, kitchen articles, cutlery and crockery). EU legislation derives from decisions taken at the EU level, yet implementation largely occurs at a national level. The principle of uniformity is therefore a central theme in all decisions by the European Court of Justice, which aims to ensure the application and interpretation of EU laws does not differ between member states.

As far as I know the EU legislation are the minimum requirments while every EU member country is allowed to add additional restrictions or extra requirments.

saguym

Nampak Cartons Netherlands

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

Does anyone know if there is any EU legislation about ink off set (migration)?
This coming from the new requirements in issue 4 of the BRC Global Standard voor Food Packaging.

Claudia

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

The basic legislation is in the annex of 2023/2006 (GMP regs) and is essentially what the BRC/IoP requirements are based on

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users