• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it too late to implement a Bar-coding system?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: What should they do? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

What should they do?

1. Implement Barcodes (8 votes [88.89%])

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

2. Wait for RFID (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Stay manual man (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (please comment) (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:14 AM

A packaging company I have been doing some work for on the BRC/IOP Packaging Standard are considering implementing bar-coding within their factory. At present they have a completely manual system and all the problems associated with it e.g. labour intensive, time lags on stock availability, data entry errors, despatching errors etc.

As a start and to get them used to the technology I can definitely see opportunities for them to barcode incoming goods (or getting their suppliers to) and also finished goods.

For example if incoming goods and storage racks were bar-coded then it would be a simple case of 'bleep, bleep, and that stock would be in that location and available to use - planning would love this information. At the moment the goods received notes are passed to purchasing for manual entry and there can be as much as 36 hour delay.

Also at finished goods the products are booked into the computer system manually on a three shift system; by bar-coding finished goods and putting a 180 degree scanner on the conveyor this could be fully automated - and three people could be deployed in more value added activities.

Again despatch could utilise the barcode for locating stock and also for picking orders. Thus making stock easier to find, reducing despatching errors and also stocks on the computer system would be updated immediately.

They have asked for my advice. :doh:

My feeling is that implementing bar-coding would give them some cost savings and process improvements for a relatively modest investment - perhaps maximum £10,000 for a few scanners, printers, software, training etc. (I'm guessing). The one thing in my mind is that Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) is becoming more prevalent, accessible and cost-effective - and it may be too late to implement a barcode system. They have managed for the last thirty years without barcodes so should they wait for a couple more years?

What do you think? Advice and ideas appreciated. :helpplease:

It's a case study - I've won a book! ;)

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:45 PM

At the moment the goods received notes are passed to purchasing for manual entry and there can be as much as 36 hour delay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about EDI ? You don't need bar code, but you have JIT inputs of incoming goods.

RFID advantages with respect to bar code are depending on the added value of their business.

For instance if they manage empty bottles I would not suggest RFID, but recommend bar code.

Please do not send me books, I'm still reading Mr. Deming :lol2:

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:25 PM

What about EDI ? You don't need bar code, but you have JIT inputs of incoming goods.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you expand a little more please - Non comprendez! :wacko:

Please do not send me books, I'm still reading Mr. Deming :lol2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry mate.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:28 AM

Well I guess if you are doing business with the GIANTS who would likely to insist that you follow the same path as them or "we do not do business" - you really do not have much of a choice - do you!

But if my business has not reached that level of engagement, i would be happy with just Bar Coding and if I guess it RIGHT - RFID would take at least over the next 10 years to achieve global acceptance i.e. only when economy of scale has been achieved. In the meantime, I can only take the present scenario as mere "huh hah!"

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:09 PM

But if my business has not reached that level of engagement, i would be happy with just Bar Coding and if I guess it RIGHT - RFID would take at least over the next 10 years to achieve global acceptance i.e. only when economy of scale has been achieved. In the meantime, I can only take the present scenario as mere "huh hah!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Charles. :lol2:

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:15 AM

Can you expand a little more please - Non comprendez! :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Electronic
Data
Interchange

allows to input data into customer's system directly from the supplier.
Usually needs a SW because the two systems are unable to exchange data, but ther's no need for manual data input any more :beer:

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:25 PM

So it's a bit like Star Trek - thanks Franco. :bye:

I think the consensus of opinion is implementing bar codes now would be beneficial.

Cheers,
Simon

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

So it's a bit like Star Trek - thanks Franco. :bye:

I think the consensus of opinion is implementing bar codes now would be beneficial.

Cheers,
Simon 

Hi Simon,

It's been 10 years since your original post on this topic and I've just joined the food industry. Our company is discussing bar coding for traceability and I'm wondering a few things about the scenario you originally presented here.

A) Did the company move forward with bar codes?

B) If so, how has the system worked for them in the intervening years?

C) Have you run into many companies in the past couple of years that have chosen RFID rather than bar codes and what feedback have you received for that type of system?

And, of course, I welcome any and all put from all of the other members here ---- I have yet to read a post that hasn't taught me something!! :biggrin:

Many thanks in advance!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

Hi Emily, my word this is a blast from the past.  

To answer your questions:

A) Yes, about 7 years ago

B) Fantastically, lot's of benefits including improved accuracy and status updates of inventory, traceability and planning/customer service information, reduction of data entry etc.

C) None

Implementing barcoding for raw materials, work in progress and finished goods is a wise investment.

Takes some work, but well worth it. :smile:

Regards,

Simon

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:23 PM

Hi Emily, my word this is a blast from the past.  

To answer your questions:

A) Yes, about 7 years ago

B) Fantastically, lot's of benefits including improved accuracy and status updates of inventory, traceability and planning/customer service information, reduction of data entry etc.

C) None

Implementing barcoding for raw materials, work in progress and finished goods is a wise investment.

Takes some work, but well worth it. :smile:

Regards,

Simon

Thanks a bunch, Simon!

We're unsure if/how much push back we'll receive from Management, especially since we're still a very new company and especially with regard to cost of initial implementation (cost of hardware, software and man hours). My response is generally that it will all pay itself off as soon as we have to utilize it for virtually any reason whatsoever but I don't have any hard data to support that claim; just my instinct and psychotic  :silly: desire for perfection.   :biggrin:

Many thanks, again, for your time and input!

~Emily~

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

herb b

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Things that go fast! Things that are complex. Food!

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:17 PM

bar code is simple, less items to configure vs. RFID.  We did both and RFID had issues with receivers, cost of washdown tags, etc.  I can print and apply barcodes or put them in a book, similar to Home Depot. so that we can just scan on delivery.

Right now, I receive goods, sticker pallets with a barcode label, and then scan when the pallet is delivered to production.  Inventory updates when added and then used. simple.

we wrote software in house for this.

Plant is located in Baltimore...herb

Thanked by 2 Members:

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

bar code is simple, less items to configure vs. RFID.  We did both and RFID had issues with receivers, cost of washdown tags, etc.  I can print and apply barcodes or put them in a book, similar to Home Depot. so that we can just scan on delivery.

Right now, I receive goods, sticker pallets with a barcode label, and then scan when the pallet is delivered to production.  Inventory updates when added and then used. simple.

we wrote software in house for this.

Plant is located in Baltimore...herb

Great info - thanks, Herb!

The official "NO" came down from Management today. I think they think we're not yet big enough to justify the cost of a bar coding system. I'm a proactive rather than reactive person so I like to work ahead of the panic/chaos curve but I'm not the one writing the check. ;-) I'm going to keep your reply in my "arsenal", though, for when the time comes I get to push for it again!

Enjoy your Thursday,

~Emily~

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users