• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

I have a two part question on flow diagrams for HACCP;

• I am seeing many definations of what is considered a "process step" for doing a flow chart for HACCP. I have come to the conclusion that a process step includes anything that could introduce a hazard (biological, chemical or physical). This does not include tests or decisions made. I am trying to make this defination as logical as possible for the HACCP team to identify process steps and not go overboard. What is everyone's opinion on a process step? Posted Image
  • Also, conveyor belts, do you put these in your flow diagram? I say no. Posted Image

cosmo

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

Also, conveyor belts, do you put these in your flow diagram? I say no. Posted Image

I believe conveyors should be included in the initial analysis. They move product and can introduce contaminants, especially physical.

Edited by cosmo, 28 July 2010 - 10:23 PM.

M. Ajaz Khan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Saudi Arabia
    Saudi Arabia

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

I believe conveyors should be included in the initial analysis. They move product and can introduce contaminants, especially physical.

Hi,

First you have to define your whole procsses in a flow Chart (One Block for One Complete Process Like: Production. It has several stages, But you register Production as ONE PROCESS, and all stages in priduction will be regarded as PROCESS STEPS, which you don't show in the PROCESS FLOW DIAGRAM or PROCESS MAP. otherwise you process map will become too much complicated (Use KISS Rule while making your flow diagram).

When your Flow Diagram is madeup, use Decision Tree to analyse each PROCESS Step for Regulatiry and Quality Control Points or PRP's, as show in the attached Example.

After analysing each process step, Perform HAZARD ANALYSIS of All the Regulatory and Quality Control Points, as shown in the attached Example sheets.

Kind regards.

Ajaz.

M. Ajaz Khan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Saudi Arabia
    Saudi Arabia

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

Hi,

First you have to define your whole procsses in a flow Chart (One Block for One Complete Process Like: Production. It has several stages, But you register Production as ONE PROCESS, and all stages in priduction will be regarded as PROCESS STEPS, which you don't show in the PROCESS FLOW DIAGRAM or PROCESS MAP. otherwise you process map will become too much complicated (Use KISS Rule while making your flow diagram).

When your Flow Diagram is madeup, use Decision Tree to analyse each PROCESS Step for Regulatiry and Quality Control Points or PRP's, as show in the attached Example.

After analysing each process step, Perform HAZARD ANALYSIS of All the Regulatory and Quality Control Points, as shown in the attached Example sheets.

Kind regards.

Ajaz.

I have cut shout the Examples as the file was geting over size... Only some sxmales are shown to give you a guide line

Attached Files

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Many companies in the U.S. include inspection steps in the flow chart. At times this is to ease pressure from a local authority (FSIS inspector) and at other times it is to ensure clarity for the plant. Because there is not a regulation on this - each company should keep in mind the prupose of creating the chart...it is to contribute to your ability to do the best possible hazard analysis. I have seen some that are too complex because it led to the company getting confused and not doing a good job on the hazard analysis. Others are too simple and the plant failed to consider major pieces of equipment or product movement that could impact safety. Conveyor belts and other means of moving product (transfer to combo or tote...) are often included since these are opportunities for contamination and include pieces of equipment that should be considered. Let the principles of HACCP guide you.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:36 AM

Dear holewin,

regarding "process step" you may find the discussion around this link of some interest -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ivity-or-a-ccp/

regarding conveyors, their presence is often the reason for using a metal detector in the haccp plan. > flow chart.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,238 posts
  • 1294 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:46 AM

• I am seeing many definations of what is considered a "process step" for doing a flow chart for HACCP. I have come to the conclusion that a process step includes anything that could introduce a hazard (biological, chemical or physical). This does not include tests or decisions made. I am trying to make this defination as logical as possible for the HACCP team to identify process steps and not go overboard. What is everyone's opinion on a process step? Posted Image
  • Also, conveyor belts, do you put these in your flow diagram? I say no. Posted Image
A couple of interesting questions. Firstly a process step could be described a simply a stage in the process.
Hazards can be introduced at many stages but may be controlled by GMP or Prerequisite Programmes.

Taking the conveyor as an example, there may be many modes of transfer of product in an operation, but would they all be in the flow diagram?

Effective HACCP implementation requires you to put in place fundamental food safety/GMP procedures so that the Hazard Analysis and final plan are not over complicated.

To quote CODEX Recommended International Code of Practice General Principles Of Food Hygiene:

Where necessary, conveyances and bulk containers should be designed and constructed so that they:
- do not contaminate foods or packaging
- can be effectively cleaned and, where necessary, disinfected;
- permit effective separation of different foods or foods from non-food items where necessary

Conveyances and containers for transporting food should be kept in an appropriate state of cleanliness, repair and condition. Where the same conveyance or container is used for transporting different foods, or non-foods, effective cleaning and, where necessary, disinfection should take
place between loads.

Prior to application of HACCP to any sector of the food chain, that sector should have in place prerequisite programs such as good hygienic practices according to the Codex General Principles of Food Hygiene, the appropriate Codex Codes of Practice, and appropriate food safety requirements. These prerequisite programs to HACCP, including training, should be well established, fully operational and verified in order to facilitate the successful application and implementation of the HACCP system.

So your conveyors should be covered by GMP and as such I would not put them in the flow diagram as this is also part of the application of the HACCP system. As an example in one of my previous roles Listeria contamination from conveyors was a potential hazard and as such we had GMP Cleaning/Sanitation and Monitoring Procedures to control Listeria such that the risk to the product was not significant.

Some posters have mentioned "equipment" which may be in the flow diagram especially if it has a function like inspection which identifies and removes hazards.

Some people knock ISO 22000 but IMO it does include a review and updating requirement after Hazard Analysis and implementation of the system which is no bad thing.

Regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 30 July 2010 - 04:50 AM.

holewinj28

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

Thanks everyone for the input! You all had very resourceful information. I really appreciate the feedback on this sight because it helps put confidence and clarification on the next steps I must take. Posted Image

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users