• 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

Wellll, I had been trying to post this since Monday, :lol2:

Persistent :roflmao:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

Persistent :roflmao:

You have no idea...

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

Cookies?? you need Welsh Cakes, with a bit of butter spread over the top!

welshcakes_67264_16x9.jpg

Caz x

Oooh those look good!

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

It is!  At least in the States

.....Well not for all of us.  My plant is working on Friday and we are hoping not to work Saturday.... :crybaby:  :crybaby:

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

Here they are.  The Suger Cakes (really cookies, this is an old recipe) are baked in a very hot oven, and they go from not done to burnt very fast.  If you don't have someone skilled to watch the oven, keep your eye on the cookies.  I always burn at least one pan, and I've been baking them since I was 7.

Enjoy,

Martha

Ginger Snaps

1 c. Crisco

1 1/2 c. granulated sugar

2 eggs, beaten light

1 c. Green Label Molasses (Brer Rabbit is the brand I prefer, but the important thing is that it be Green Label molasses rather than Gold Label or Blackstrap)

Sift together:

1 tbsp soda

1 tbsp ground ginger

Flour enough to roll (about 4 1/2 c.).  the dough should pull away from the bowl but not stiff.  It will stiffen up while it chills.

Chill several hours or overnight.

Roll out on floured pastry cloth with a floured sock on the rolling pin.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until they are no longer puffed up and have totally flattened out, but before they darken. They will be soft as they come off the cookie sheet, but will crisp up during cooling.

Sugar Cakes (Cookies)

4 eggs, beaten light.  Add 2 cups sugar, flavoring, one cup butter, two teaspoons of cream of tartar, one of soda, flour to make a soft dough (about 4 cups.)  Chill for a couple of hours.

Flavoring: 1 ½ - 2 tsp lemon extract

1 tsp vanilla extract

Roll out on a floured pastry cloth with a pastry sock on the rolling pin.  Bake at 450 degrees for 6-8 minutes.

Crisco and molasses...what a combination.  I used to have a fabulous recipe for chewy ginger cookies--but I lost it.  Someday I will find it. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

Crisco and molasses...what a combination.  I used to have a fabulous recipe for chewy ginger cookies--but I lost it.  Someday I will find it. 

If you roll out the Ginger Snaps very thick, around 1/4", they come out more chewy, like traditional ginger bread men.  You will need to bake them longer.

The original recipe, which is probably older than I am, was for lard and molasses.  Crisco was probably substituted during the Depression, which my parents lived through, or during WWII, when animal products were rationed.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

I had a family member that made the most amazing chewy gingerbread men cookies... I miss them so much...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

Ooooh, lard.  My dad made the best pie crust on the planet.....with lard.   He eventually switched to Crisco, but they were just not the same.   I miss those lard pie crusts.  

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:44 PM

I shall calculate how many ounces in a cup and post for you !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:09 PM

I shall calculate how many ounces in a cup and post for you !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!!!  :happydance:

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:21 PM

Looking through the posts in this thread makes it clear that food is not only important to people because it feeds the body, but it feeds the soul as well.  Look how many of us talked about someone who made something special, and created a long-lasting memory for us. 

It makes me feel that keeping food safe is important not only because it keeps someone from physical harm, which is of high priority, but it also helps preserve those memories and food-linked emotions.  I would feel differently about my mother's cherished cookie recipes if they were the cause of a bout with food poisoning; it would lessen my pleasure in baking and eating them for the future.

Got philosophical there, sorry.

Have a great holiday, if you are in the US, and have a great rest of the week if you are not.

Martha

Edited by MWidra, 26 November 2014 - 10:22 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

Looking through the posts in this thread makes it clear that food is not only important to people because it feeds the body, but it feeds the soul as well.  Look how many of us talked about someone who made something special, and created a long-lasting memory for us. 

It makes me feel that keeping food safe is important not only because it keeps someone from physical harm, which is of high priority, but it also helps preserve those memories and food-linked emotions.  I would feel differently about my mother's cherished cookie recipes if they were the cause of a bout with food poisoning; it would lessen my pleasure in baking and eating them for the future.

Got philosophical there, sorry.

Have a great holiday, if you are in the US, and have a great rest of the week if you are not.

Martha

No apologies necessary....its true!

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:03 PM

Dear US Food Lovers,

Finally remembered to view this thread, or should i say culinary delight ? Wonderful collection of calories / reminiscences. :clap:

Brer Rabbit Molasses sounds a bit of an oxymoron. :smile: I don't think Grover crossed the Atlantic though.

Here's wishing you a well-fed Thanksgiving.  :beer:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

Dear US Food Lovers,

I don't think Grover crossed the Atlantic though.

Rgds / Charles.C

That is a tragedy below are some pictures of the funny character.

GroverFullFigure2.png

super+grover.jpg

fark_8ZEZ2cj2go-iiKGljOmcSnxKukA.jpg?t=P

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:40 PM

The last pic didn't come through.

Mr. Incognito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

How bout we try this one.   Sorry to see you at work too.  Wish we would have gotten day off but too much work.  Drive in was nice though. 

Grover+excited.jpg

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

lol yup I'm here.  Kinda.   :roflmao:

You know I used to love Grover but I hated Elmo.  Maybe because of age when Elmo came out but he was so annoying.  I hated his voice.

Mr. Incognito

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

lol yup I'm here.  Kinda.   :roflmao:

You know I used to love Grover but I hated Elmo.  Maybe because of age when Elmo came out but he was so annoying.  I hated his voice.

Yep, I'm kinda here as well.  I have always loved Grover because I could relate to Grover.  Before kids, I was not an Elmo fan.  After kids, I could appreciate him more. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:39 AM

Edited by Snookie, 22 December 2014 - 05:39 AM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

Well, to brighten up your Monday, here is a bad pun.  Enjoy?

Two antennas met on a roof, fell in love, and got married.  The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was excellent.   :roflmao:

Have a good week, and hope it is short for everyone.  Our plant closes down between Christmas and New Years, but I'll be checking in from home.

Martha

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

LOL! I love it Martha.

My favorite joke is pretty corny but it's kid friendly and I think it's hilarious.  Of course you have to do it in person because some of it involves a little acting.

Speaking of Grover, I can believe I forgot, my favorite book as a kid was Grover's "The monster at the end of this book".  I thought it was pretty funny! 

Mr. Incognito

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

Nadolig Llawen I pawb!

:x_tongue:

A Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Caz x

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

Nadolig Llawen I pawb!

:x_tongue:

A Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Caz x

And to you as well.

Google translate for the win!  :roflmao:

Mr. Incognito

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,611 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

I loves me some Google Translate! 

Hail the return of the Sun! Happy Yule!

And to those in the Southern Hemisphere, Happy Midsummer!

-Setanta         

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 99 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:15 PM

And to you as well.

Google translate for the win!  :roflmao:

Thanks for the cheat tip.

Happy Holidays to everyone!!   My plant is closing from Dec 24 to Jan 5 (  :spoton:  :rock:    :notworking:   :potplant:  :biggrin:  :x_tongue:    :thumbup:  :drunk: )

Can you tell I am excited to have some time off?? I will check in periodically, but am very much looking forward to spending some much needed time with my family. I hope that everyone has a safe and happy holiday season!!! 

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Monday, Happiness, Survival, short week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users