• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:13 PM

Hello,

Has anyone experienced an SQF Audit with the new version 8? I am having trouble getting started with a Food Fraud Vulnerability program. I understand that BRC started doing this years ago, but SQF has now rolled out their requirements. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:20 PM

Hello,

Has anyone experienced an SQF Audit with the new version 8? I am having trouble getting started with a Food Fraud Vulnerability program. I understand that BRC started doing this years ago, but SQF has now rolled out their requirements. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi mec,

If you look in the BRC forum you will see that the requirement/implementation for (GFSI) vulnerability assessment has a multitude of interpretations.

BRC seem for the moment to not be being particularly discriminating regarding methodology as long as their basic, Code stated, "factors" are responded to. The practical problem is that for BRC the potential scope (safety /non-safety) to answer for is large but at the moment, eg SQF Manufacturing, only safety is mentioned. This can be massively different to BRC depending on the specific case. The preferred interp. for SQF so far seems to be indeterminate afaik (ie no Guidance).

Maybe some other members have got further than you. Hope so.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,614 posts
  • 1133 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:45 AM

Audits at version 8.0 don't roll out until January 2018.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Private CONSULTANT

(Food, Emerging Financials & Supplements)

ceo - Goodstart Coastal Enterprises, LLC

United States of the Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

mec862

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hi mec,

If you look in the BRC forum you will see that the requirement/implementation for (GFSI) vulnerability assessment has a multitude of interpretations.

BRC seem for the moment to not be being particularly discriminating regarding methodology as long as their basic, Code stated, "factors" are responded to. The practical problem is that for BRC the potential scope (safety /non-safety) to answer for is large but at the moment, eg SQF Manufacturing, only safety is mentioned. This can be massively different to BRC depending on the specific case. The preferred interp. for SQF so far seems to be indeterminate afaik (ie no Guidance).

Maybe some other members have got further than you. Hope so.

Thank you!

Karenconstable

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 38 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:16 AM

Hi,

I have researched this issue in detail.  As part of that research I watched a couple of SQF videos about the new requirements in Edition 8; these addressed both the new food fraud requirements and the other requirements.  

The key takeaways are:

1) from an internal auditing perspective, all SQF facilities should start upgrading to Edition 8 now, as full compliance is expected by January 2018.  And,

(2) SQF says that they are creating some training materials for the food fraud requirements but that they won't be launching anything specific until their conference in November.  Which doesn't help much at all. 

I totally feel your pain and am actually in the process creating some materials for SQF facilities to help understand the new requirements and create the required documents.

The free SQF webinar can be found here (as I said, it is very light on details):

http://www.sqfi.com/...code-edition-8/

Hopefully SQF will have some more information available sooner rather than later.

Regards,

Karen Constable

Food Fraud Prevention (VACCP) Programs | Food Fraud Training |

Consulting | Advisory | Compliance

The Rotten Apple Newsletter

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:38 AM

Hi Karen,

I haven't watched the webinar but (as in another thread here) I am curious as to how, for example, the SQF8 Manufacturing Code will claim full compliancy to the GSI requirements as far as the scope of GFSI's Food Fraud is concerned. (I haven't studied the textual minutiae of the GFSI compendia so i am willing to be corrected).

From a purely FS aspect, the current SQF approach seems somewhat of a "comment" on the scope of GFSI's Food Fraud which, debatably, had a "hint" of manipulating safety/non-safety considerations in its gestation so as to ultimately generate a nominal  FS "Hazard".

(not that other FS Standards contain zero non-safety sections, they obviously do, eg BRC weight control.)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mec862

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

Hi,

I have researched this issue in detail.  As part of that research I watched a couple of SQF videos about the new requirements in Edition 8; these addressed both the new food fraud requirements and the other requirements.  

The key takeaways are:

1) from an internal auditing perspective, all SQF facilities should start upgrading to Edition 8 now, as full compliance is expected by January 2018.  And,

(2) SQF says that they are creating some training materials for the food fraud requirements but that they won't be launching anything specific until their conference in November.  Which doesn't help much at all. 

I totally feel your pain and am actually in the process creating some materials for SQF facilities to help understand the new requirements and create the required documents.

The free SQF webinar can be found here (as I said, it is very light on details):

http://www.sqfi.com/...code-edition-8/

Hopefully SQF will have some more information available sooner rather than later.

November is right before the requirement must be put into place. This is not even an FDA requirement. 

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Food Fraud, Food Fraud Vulnerability, Fraud, Vulnerability, Food Defense, Defense, mitigation, mitigation plan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users