Kirsten

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Safety and Quality (I know I am a geek). Baking, Writing letters, playing with my grandchildren, loving life and so much more.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

Having a difficult time writing a Glass & Brittle Plastics policy. What I have seems simple, yet effective. Can anyone help? Thanks

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

Having a difficult time writing a Glass & Brittle Plastics policy. What I have seems simple, yet effective. Can anyone help? Thanks

Of course we can!

just say something along the lines of

"we XXX will ensure that all glass, ceramics and hard plastics utelised within our operation, including production areas will be recorded on a glass register and inspected against a schedule which has been risk assessed"

hope it helps

cazx

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Ours is fairly simple also:
  • List what is allowed
  • Inventory/Inspect to the list
  • What to do if something breaks
  • Handling jars in production processes (we use glass jars on a very limited basis)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

What have you got so far Kirsten - can you post it?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

What have you got so far Kirsten - can you post it?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:39 AM

same with the others.. IMEX we add " no Hg thermometer glass in production area, and all of glasses (lamp and windows ) in production must be cover by film )"

ding

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:11 AM

Here is one checklist for glass jar handing, very practical one for manual handling can food.

Attached Files

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:09 AM

Greetings for the day,

Here is the Glass & Brittle Plastics Policy (Thanks to IFSQN)

Glass, Wood and Brittle Plastics Policy Statement

• THE FOOD COMPANY is committed to adopting a policy of glass, wood and brittle plastic breakages-free process in its premises.
  • By this commitment, THE FOOD COMPANY minimises the risk of potential product contaminations by glass, wood and brittle plastics.
  • Wherever possible, items constructed of glass, wood and brittle plastic is avoided from the factory. Where no satisfactory alternatives can be found, such articles shall be protected in a manner which can be prevented from being shattered or when in an emergency situation, shattered fragments can be contained in a manner that would eliminate or prevent potential cross contaminations.
  • It is the company’s policy to provide continual monitoring of glass, wood and brittle plastic articles within the factory. This shall be done once annually or whenever deem necessary.
  • All process and non-process articles including process equipments shall be subject to risk assessment and the “Glass and Brittle Plastics Register” updated as required and maintained.
  • This policy of controlling the application of articles that are made of glass, wood and brittle plastics has been established, documented and is subject to regular reviews, verification and validation by the FSMS Team and Top Management Representative as reflective of its intended objectives and commitment

Approved date: 04th June, 2008

-------------------------------------------------
Quality Assurance Manager

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:11 AM

It is the company’s policy to provide continual monitoring of glass, wood and brittle plastic articles within the factory. This shall be done once annually or whenever deem necessary.

Pretty good Abdul thanks. This inspection should also be based on risk assessment. For example in production area where there is a risk, before starting production and at the end of the production shift.

Regards,

Tony :smile:

Amber McCreary

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

• List what is allowed
  • Handling jars in production processes (we use glass jars on a very limited basis)

Same here.

~>One thing we also implimented to help up in our policy/program was a Glass and Brittle Plastic Facility Guide to help with our self audits-it included pictures, locations, quantities and descriptions of each type of glass and brittle plastic found in the productions areas. This book also aids us in foreign material indentification and has turned out to be a very resourceful guide for both the plant and corporate level management. (Biggest problem I have found is that it HAS to be kept up to date or it is virtually useless. With a big facility this can be a full time job-Just something to keep in mind)

It is not so much the position you carry in life, as it is how you carry yourself within your position.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:46 AM

Same here.

~>One thing we also implimented to help up in our policy/program was a Glass and Brittle Plastic Facility Guide to help with our self audits-it included pictures, locations, quantities and descriptions of each type of glass and brittle plastic found in the productions areas. This book also aids us in foreign material indentification and has turned out to be a very resourceful guide for both the plant and corporate level management. (Biggest problem I have found is that it HAS to be kept up to date or it is virtually useless. With a big facility this can be a full time job-Just something to keep in mind)

Maybe a frequency of inspection based on risk assessment as well?

Regards,

Tony

Kamwenji Njuma

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 47 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Food safety,Quality,Hygiene and Agricultural consultancy.HACCP,BRC Food,ISO22000.ISO9001,GLOBALG.A.P,Etc

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:08 AM

Dear All,

You also need to include a procedure to say what happens incase of glass breakage i.e segregation of materials affected,cleaning up sand recording of the incident.

Regards,
Jeremy

Quality cheese

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Scotland
    Scotland

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

Dear All,

You also need to include a procedure to say what happens incase of glass breakage i.e segregation of materials affected,cleaning up sand recording of the incident.

Regards,
Jeremy

Yip and don't forget that some certificate bodies and major retailers require that all staff are aware of the glass policy and procedure... its preferable to have this included in staff inductions

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:39 AM

Dear qualitycheese,

Welcome to the forum ! :welcome:

Is it Good Quality Cheese or the Opposite ?? (from the humanoid view) :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Amber McCreary

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

Yip and don't forget that some certificate bodies and major retailers require that all staff are aware of the glass policy and procedure... its preferable to have this included in staff inductions

Do you know if BRC requires this? I think SQF does.

It is not so much the position you carry in life, as it is how you carry yourself within your position.

Quality cheese

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Scotland
    Scotland

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:06 PM

Dear qualitycheese,

Welcome to the forum ! :welcome:

Is it Good Quality Cheese or the Opposite ?? (from the humanoid view) :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

Thanks Charles
Good Quality cheese of course...lol

Do you know if BRC requires this? I think SQF does.

I can't remember exactly but i'll have a look at the standard Version 5... can't wait till version 6.. NOT

Eya

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:38 PM

• List what is allowed

In addition to the above it will also help if you categorized the glass and brittle plastic depending on the risk. This way you can have 3 to 4 criteria and you can easily identify which glass can be inspected by shift, daily, monthly, quarterly or yearly.

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

can anyone assist - I need some literature  that proves/ disproves  that wire  re-inforced glass (Wire mesh glass) is shatterproof .

A vu in time , saves nine

Orange Blossom

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

Do you have to number each item on the glass register?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users