Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

I work at a small plant filling and packing candy, now we have certain GMP controls in place and a HACCP plan that was written way before I came along. A customer recently asked about the lubricants we use and whether or not they are food grade. I talked it through with the maintenance engineer and he said they are not available or there is no equivalent that does the job quite as good. Not that I don't trust the old critter I wanted to sound out the experts on what is best practice for managing lubricants in a food environment. Is food grade as good as standard and what about the cost difference?

Tks,

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 01 July 2008 - 02:51 AM

Dear Goliath,

Actually, there are two kinds of lubricant on the food industry, the food grade (usually white colored, odorless, and tasteless) and the non-food grade. You dont need to use the food grade for parts that didnt contact to your material or products. But for those that contact directly to your products, you have to use the food grade lubricants, without compromise. You can ask the MSDS to your supplier, which can explain to your auditor that your lubricant is food grade and safe to used.

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:45 AM

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:40 AM

Goliath, doing a bit of research it looks as though there are food grade alternatives for all types of applications, they perform just as well and reading the suppliers literature they also claim that the price differential between non food grade and food grade is not much. Well not as much as when food grade lubricants were a new technology.

So no excuse for your engineer.

I have to confess my conclusions are based on theory and not on any practical experience. Hopefully one or two members can verify. :shades:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Goliath

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

Thank you for your comments and links. I'm clear now of the different lubes for use in the food industries and the regulations that apply. According to my reading there are three main categories of lubricants used in the food industries. They are also as effective and cost-effective. I can now speak with data to my engineer and we will work a solution to change over to food grade. Appreciate your help. :bye:

H1 lubricants - Lubricants that could have incidental food contact are sometimes referred to as "above the line" lubricants. These may be used on food-processing equipment as a protective antirust film, as a release agent on gaskets or seals of tank closures, and as a lubricant for machine parts and equipment in locations where the lubricated part is potentially exposed to food. The amount used should be the smallest needed to accomplish the desired technical effect on the equipment. If used as an antirust film, they must be removed from the equipment surface. Ingredients for use in H1 lubricants are designated HX-1.

H2 lubricants - These are lubricants with no possibility of contacting food. These compounds may be used as a lubricant, release agent or antirust film on equipment and machine parts or in closed systems in locations where there is no possibility of the lubricant or lubricated part contacting edible products.

H3 soluble oils - These products may be applied to hooks, trolleys and similar equipment to clean and prevent rust. The portions of the equipment that contact edible products must be clean and free of the oil before reuse.

H1 Lubricants
Physiologically recognized as safe, inodorous and tasteless special lubricants which meet the requirements of § 5 of the German food act (LMBG) and of the FDA 21 CFR 178.3570. As NSF registered H1 products, their contact with foodstuff is admissible.

Edited by Goliath, 03 July 2008 - 11:31 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

Dear Goliath,

You can also find some discussion on this topic in these older threads –

http://www.ifsqn.com...?showtopic=6869

http://www.ifsqn.com...hp?showtopic=49

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Goliath

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:36 PM

Thank you Charles and all for your assistance. I've since had a face to face with my engineer and we now have a plan to move fully to suitable lubricants dependant on risk proximity to the product line.

Tks,

IConnectVA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Ah! Yet again, another great point of reference!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users