Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,803 posts
  • 723 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

The chilled food association put out an explanation a while back on what areas should be used for preparing chilled foods. My challenge I guess is that there is some considerable potential blurring between what could be a low risk area and what could be a high care area.

I used to think it was easy but consider this application.

A bulk chilled product is brought into an area, unwrapped, portioned and repacked. If done on an industrial scale, would you expect any of these processes to take place in a high care or high risk environment?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:09 AM

BUMP.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France
  • Interests:Literature : novels, Sci-Fi, thrillers; Rowing; Personal and Professional travels

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:45 AM

Hello GMO,

Please could you explain to me 'a high care or high risk environment', quite difficult for me to understand this difference - due to the language,

Regards,

Emmanuel

EuGeNe

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:25 AM

Hi,

Under BRC definitions for high care and high risk are:

High Care Area (Environment)
An area designed to a high standard where practices relating to personnel, ingredients, equipment, packaging and environment aim to minimize product contamination by pathogenic micro-organisms.

High Risk Area
A physically segregated area, designed to a high standard of hygiene, where practices relating to personnel, ingredients, equipment, packaging and environment aim to prevent product contamination by pathogenic micro-organisms.

The difference here is whether is needs to be physically segregated or not. While the both the High Risk and High Care Areas would require very good hygiene care, for example full set of protective gears (face masks, hair covers, dust coats, boots, gloves etc), thorough cleaning etc. and so on... but the High Risk Area should also have proper security in place, for example, security tags for personnels, or color coded uniform, or physical barrier in place (therefore requiring authorization tags for entry).

Hope that helps.

Rgds,
Eugene

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France
  • Interests:Literature : novels, Sci-Fi, thrillers; Rowing; Personal and Professional travels

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

Thanks Eugene, that's clearer now!

To answer GMO's question...to me it depends on the product, if something which will be cooked or is a semi-finished product a high care area is enough. But if the product is eaten once thawed that's different.
In the french (and european?) legislation for example it's mentionned you can freeze some products if you have a freezer, of course in a high care area. But for some specific products like steak mince a high risk area must be dedicated to the production.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Emmanuel

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,803 posts
  • 723 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:27 PM

Imagine the product is chilled and ready to eat.

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:59 AM

which type of product?

Regards,

Emmanuel

Gunapathi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Hi GMO,

If the product is chilled and ready to eat, it is certainly high risk. As per BRC standard, this applies to products that are "ready to reheat and eat" as well. High risk product includes pate, cooked meat, prepared meals without any garnishes etc. Quiche is also high risk. 

Any food that doesn't have a food safety hurdle (like low pH, high salt, preservatives, low water activity) is considered high risk.

There are lots of movement restrictions of people and equipment in and out of high risk areas. In our facility, we have procedures on dedicated equipment control, people movement control in and out of high risk area.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users