bibi

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about having music in a food production area?

Is it safe in terms of the noise/hearing?

Does it potentially cause cross contamination dangers if people are changing the radio channel for instance?

What about having an ipod with speakers for example and letting it run on a playlist outside the production area? Is that considered a personal item in the work place?

Is there a BRC standard or any other H&S guidance on this issue?

I appreciate your comments and feedback.

Thanks,
Bibi

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:14 AM

IMEX... Music can disturb the production operator, becausemusic make operator not intense to monitor they equipment... so.. if somethink bad happen operator cannot fix imediately...

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:56 AM

Dear bibi,

I agree with AS Nur. Music only create disturbance in production area, instead of making them feel relaxed or full willing to work. Even when we work at noisy area, we use the earplug, not the earphone and listen to the music.

I think radio/music at production area would not gives direct influence to H&S issue. But the distraction and loosing concentration because listen to the radio/music might cause serious accident.

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Ayayay

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:07 PM

Hi All,
I agree that music in productiona area can more or less disturb production process. Of course listening pleasant music is good but this way operator couldn't concentrate to his work. And if the music is played through speakers it is not proper for the hearing.
The most enjoyable and proper way is to listen music during breaks.
Regards: Ayayay :bye:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:29 PM

In the UK (EU) now the level at which workers must wear hearing protection is 85 decibels (if they are exposed for long periods of time). This is very, very low in my experience. Music on speakers at any decent level will exceed this and so is pointless being on, especially if there is background noise from general work and machinery. A normal conversation can exceed 85 decibels. In my opinion the legislation has gone too far, it was 90 previously and the 5 decibels less makes a big difference. That said the law is made based on scientific evidence and that is more reliable than my gut feel.

Music off. Unfortunately.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

Food production areas are usually constructed with tiles which can result in the sounds from the machines to echo as the sound waves rebound from the walls or floors. This can exceed the legal limits as Simon mentioned. This is more of a Health and Safety issue and there should be guidance on the same. I believe no authorities would recommend having music in food rooms. Working in the manufacturing or catering units, I believe one is always prone to excessive exposures to noise and therefore find a solution to reduce the hazard (sound).

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:45 AM

In our company, we do not allow the workers to use mobiles or even a walk man for listening to music. No radio are allowed either.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:15 AM

In the UK (EU) now the level at which workers must wear hearing protection is 85 decibels (if they are exposed for long periods of time). This is very, very low in my experience. Music on speakers at any decent level will exceed this and so is pointless being on, especially if there is background noise from general work and machinery. A normal conversation can exceed 85 decibels. In my opinion the legislation has gone too far, it was 90 previously and the 5 decibels less makes a big difference. That said the law is made based on scientific evidence and that is more reliable than my gut feel.

Music off. Unfortunately.

Regards,
Simon

In mycountry the maximum level of sound in production area is 85 Decibles too..and for the reason, i think that same with as simon state...

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

Each person in my plant works alone in each room plus we do not make loads of noise therefore we allow music provided it doesnt sit on any food contact surface.

operators undergo training on how to handle the company provided radios plus they have dedicated stands specifically built for the radios.

thanks

Vu

A vu in time , saves nine

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users