Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

Please can somebody add any ideas or advise!!!

Currently we are useing one piece solid stainless knives in our raw mateials areas to open bags etc. We have recently had an audit by our major customer and they have recommended we change our knives which i totally agree with this statement as there is a risk of metal contamination from the points of the knife is a risk. Not only that they go blunt which then the operators are then using the knives as a saw which is adding a further risk.

I have tryed safety knives but they dont seem to be practicle. I need to be carefal as two piece knives will trap dough in the ridges which will give me a hygiene issue. I have been trying for a while to find an alternative but have yet come up with a solution.

Can someone help!!!!

Thanks

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

Dear stoker,

What I can suggest is to requesting a package that may ripped/teared easily by hand. It will help to reduce the working time and energy.

Another suggest is... using stainless steel scissors instead of knife. If it get blunt, I suggest to grind it, or buy a new one. For the hygiene issue, I think dough wont trapped easily on the scissors. But even if it trapped, I guess we can clean it down with easily and regularly (just spray the 70% alcohol and wipe it).

Hope helps.

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

I’ve purchased knives from all of these previously:

Safety Knives 1

Safety Knives 2

Safety Knives 3

Maybe help you to find what you’re looking for.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

Dear Stoker,

If you have a metal detector in your process, I would stay with the one piece metal knifes.
Metal pieces will be detected. Plastic parts will not.

You can implement a knife control check in which you check daily (end of the production) if all knives are still intact. If not, you can take corrective actions on the products.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users