Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

I´m posting this in General Discussion because I have no idea where else to discuss it.
I´m writing up a Procedure about how to deal with Bodily Fluids. I´m having trouble with the part about how to clean up bodily fluids. I´m up to the part when you´ve already gotten rid of the contaminated product, but how do I clean the surface? :uhm: Use a high pressure jet of water and detergent is probably the easiest answer, but what about if this were to happen inside a concrete or metal silo? How would I get the water out afterwards? Or what if it´s a wooden surface? (I know, I know, we shouldn´t have wooden surfaces, but so far local legislation hasn´t banned it in food facilities, so please bear with me.)
Anybody have any ideas?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

I´m posting this in General Discussion because I have no idea where else to discuss it.
I´m writing up a Procedure about how to deal with Bodily Fluids. I´m having trouble with the part about how to clean up bodily fluids. I´m up to the part when you´ve already gotten rid of the contaminated product, but how do I clean the surface? :uhm: Use a high pressure jet of water and detergent is probably the easiest answer, but what about if this were to happen inside a concrete or metal silo? How would I get the water out afterwards? Or what if it´s a wooden surface? (I know, I know, we shouldn´t have wooden surfaces, but so far local legislation hasn´t banned it in food facilities, so please bear with me.)
Anybody have any ideas?

:drool: I have no idea but I can give your post a little bump to the top of the pile. :smile:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

vin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates
  • Interests:Eating food, Exercise, cricket and ofcourse MUSIC

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:45 PM

Can you give more informations like, you would like to clean any body fluid that is present anywhere or you like to clean body fluids in the silo type where the cleaning up process is difficult?

And what kind of body fluids you would like to clean up.

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:04 AM

Hello Vin!
I´m thinking about places where it would be too difficult to clean with water, mostly because then, how would you get the water out? Or surfaces like wood ? Let´s say someone inside a silo starts to feel nauseous (because lack of oxygen for example), and he vomits, or a pregnant lady has her water break while she´s standing on the wood floor? Or someone injures himself and bleeds all over that same silo or wooden floor?
These are just pretend situations, but they could happen, and I have no idea how you would be able to clean the whole mess up.
Thank you for answering.
And thanks Simon, for bumping my post.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

Anybody have any ideas?

i have one, and i will post it here for you when i get to work tomorrow

caz x

Dukebagman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Shooting, fishing, computer games, watching movies and general chilling

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:09 AM

This is the one we use... we bought a biohazard spill kit and just followed the instructions that came with it. I have stuck the actual instructions on the back of the procedure/policy (other bio hazard spill kits are available).

This kit uses granules to soak up the mess. There is also a water solution that you mix up to rince off any splashes or leftovers.

I suppose it should say that whoever has caused the biohazard must remain in the same spot untill they are clean enough to pass through the factory... I didn't mention that bit coz how would you manage the situation if someone lost an arm?... just stay there I will be right back with a blue plaster!

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:51 AM

Anybody have any ideas?

Below is what i have. Must admit i plagarized some of it from the NHS.
I also have Bodily Fluid Spill Kits which i purchased from Setons (www.setons.co.uk) and we have a plastic box in a production area which contains gloves, apron, bags and Hypo tablets

3.7. Potential contamination by Bodily Fluids
 Dealing with spills of blood or other bodily fluids may expose the worker and the product to blood -borne viruses or other pathogens.
 Body fluids include:
 Blood
 Respiratory and oral secretions
 Vomit
 Vaginal secretions
 Amniotic fluid
 Faeces
 Urine
 Wound drainage
 Semen
 Cerebrospinal fluid
 Pleural fluid
 Gastric
 Aspiration
 Breast milk

3.8. Routine Safety Procedures
 Deal with any spillage of blood/bodily fluids immediately. PLEASE ENSURE THAT IT IS SAFE TO DO SO.
 Care must be taken to avoid skin, eye, and mucous membrane contamination during the cleaning and disinfection of spillages, protective clothing must be worn. This protective clothing is to be changed once the spillage has been cleared.
 Staff must always cover cuts and lesions with a waterproof metal detectable blue dressing whilst on duty.
3.9. Protective Clothing
 Wear plastic disposal apron.
 Wear disposable gloves.
 Protect eyes and mouth with goggles and mask (or full face visor) if splash or spray is anticipated.
3.10. Disinfection of Blood and Bodily Fluid Spills
 Disinfection aims to reduce the number of microorganisms to a safe level. Whilst a variety of chemical disinfectants are available, high concentration chlorine-releasing compounds provide an effective method of treating bodily fluid spills with activity against a range of bacteria and viruses. For clarity a chlorine releasing agent may be used.
 The disinfection solution is expressed as parts per million (ppm) of available chlorine:
 10,000 ppm for blood spillages.
 1,000 ppm for general disinfection.

Caz x

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

Thank you Dukebagman and Cazyncymru!!
You're right, Duke, about making sure that the person doesn´t contaminate the rest of the factory while going out! That´s probably easy in case of vomit and other bodily fluids caused by minor accidents, but really, what can you do in case someone is seriously hurt? You would just have to clean the trail after the person leaves I guess.
As for you Caz, you are soooo thorough!!! To the point of making me queasy just to think the kind of accident that would involve cleaning up pleural and cerebrospinal fluid!! :yikes:
I´ll have to find out if they have these kits in my country. Other than that, chlorine solutions seem to be the answer.
If you don´t mind, I´ll plagiarize from both of you. (Plagiarism is the highest form of flattery! Oh wait, it was imitation, wasn´t it? :cheezy: Ok, so plagiarism is a form of imitation... anyways, somewhere along those lines!)

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

If you don´t mind, I´ll plagiarize from both of you. (Plagiarism is the highest form of flattery! Oh wait, it was imitation, wasn´t it? :cheezy: Ok, so plagiarism is a form of imitation... anyways, somewhere along those lines!)

As long as you reference me as a source of info!!

lol...feel free i have no problems

caz x

ps i do have an appendices with directions to nearest supermarket for a bag on frozen peas in case some one loses a limb!!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

I absolutely would not use a high pressure hose. I have a procedure at work somewhere too. From the top of my head, I think I've put that the person should be taken away from the production area if safe and possible to do so and first aid given if needed then cordon off the area, not allowing anyone else to enter / leave. Call a QA to manage the process. Put any affected stock on hold or any that might be affected. Clean up the area, throw away any cleaning utensils used and then all employees should change their clothing and clean their shoes before restarting production. If you have one, I'd have a hygiene technician scrubbing the shoes while the employees nip off to get more workwear.

It's always worth having some spare workwear for emergencies which might need a change such as glass breakages, fire alarms or bodily fluid spillages. I know they're not ideal but if you can't afford the extra laundered stock, some disposables are better than nothing.

I'm glad you didn't just call it a blood spillage procedure btw, I've known of people to vomit in production areas...

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:04 AM

Dear All,

Distinctly queasy topic indeed but can also be hardly underestimated in importance. Some awesome functional advice already IMO but I would like to add a very slight off-topic. IMEX, many of the related incidents I hv met are through accidents from unsafe production equipment ( various reasons) and/or insufficient training of the using personnel. Engineering workshops are also definite danger areas IMO. I recommend (if not already doing so) to include a “safety check” clause as a specific part of yr internal audit routine.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SNAILRAIL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

Kinda in the same vein...but policy on access for emergency personnel??

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

Hi Charles C.,
thank you for your input. In fact, I do think that most of these bodily fluids problems happen when you don´t have safety procedures / equipment in place. Of course you don´t want to put a 7 months pregnant lady inside a silo and someone with stomach problems who might vomit or have diarrhea shouldn´t be inside a food plant anyways. Luckily (or maybe unfortunately :unsure: ) for me, I´m also part of the Safety Committee, so this is also part of my job.
Snailrail: I don´t know about a policy of access for emergency personnel. I personally feel that the most important thing would be to get to the victim and stabilize him, if it´s a serious injury.
"Where´s the victim?"
"Oh no, no ,no, Mr. Fireman, you're not going in there unless you put your hairnet on and wash your hands."

But you probably mean something else.
Thank you all for your ideas.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users