• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

Hello,
I am working in the meat processing industry (mainly cured, heat treated and HPP products). We are currently looking into using large quantities of frozen MSM (from EU countries) in our low cost products. The problem with MSM from my experience is that it can be very frequently contaminated with Salmonella. EU Regulation 2073/2005 (or 1441/2007) clearly states that MSM should be Salmonella free but it also recognizes that fact that Salmonelle contamination is possible and mentions (2073 article 7 par 3) that if a batch is found to be contaminated it can be used in approved heat proccesing plants (like my own).
So far what I understand from the relevant legislation is that "well check it and if you have a problem with Salmonella cook it and it would be fine".
Now my speculation.
If I use contaminated MSM and after a month or so there is a RASFF report on the particular batch, despite the fact that I sufficiently heat processed it, my company's name is at risk of getting implicated in a food crisis which is not something I want.
So the question comes down to whether the competent authorities in EU check MSM for Salmonella?

Sorry for the long post

PS: As far as I know there never was an Alert issued for salmonella contaminated MSM

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:37 PM

BUMP for Snitzel.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:25 AM

Dear Snitzel,

Although I’m not in the eu I think (after looking up the various links) I understand yr basic question which is that the directives you refer do not hv a specific statement as to the requirements on checking fully cooked meat products (RTE) made from msm. ?? I expect there is a reason for this, eg it's well hidden or covered somewhere else. :smarty:

I hv some basic queries -
I presume you are manufacturing / exporting to the eu ? Is this from outside the group or not ? It makes a fundamental difference I think, eg issues like competent authorities. If not outside, local regulations may also come in, for example, the uk hv issued their own, slightly modified, “interpretation” of some of the eu regulatory points. I expect that, internally, all countries will hv some kind of approval situation to produce food ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Snitzel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:03 AM

Dear Charles,
we are producing withing the EU (Greece actually). The issue is not with my end products, since the micro standards are coverd by local and EU legislation. In Greece there are no modifications of the basic EU legislation on the control of msm.
It would be helpful if somebody knew whether msm is tested by EU goverment authorities.
It is very odd to me that if msm (produced in EU) is tested there never was an alert in the EU of this sort!!! and it leads me to believe that it is not checked by EU authorities.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

Dear Snitzel,

OK, thks for the details. I hv experience other non-meat products (cooked / uncooked) from various locations outside eu into eu and then re-exported around eu. The inspection possibilities IMEX are quite complex since may involve both general eu directives and local (national) regulations, often somewhat unpredictably. You are correct in that (not surprisingly) risk analysis data is also involved in the selections.

Anyway, hopefully someone here will have the specific knowledge on yr product. I suspect you may be optimistic in yr current expectations. :smile: (one thing is could be a very low volume involved ?)

You probably know this already but one excellent source of related curent / historical data is –

http://www.fsai.ie/
(see food alerts)

This has monthly, annual and, I think, multi – year, retrospective, RASFF compilations, the latter with detailed, cross-linked, statistical analyses. I hv previously put some of the older jumbo documents up on this forum.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Snitzel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:03 AM

Well I made a formal querry to the country's food authority. Hopefully, in a month or so I will have my answer. Thanks for the replies

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users