Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:32 AM

I don't always read every word of every article published on these forums, but I did read this one.

Who can we trust these days? The Government… definitely not. Industry…certainly not. Scientists on the payroll… nope. The Media…hardly.

It's very difficult for the general public to know the truth about anything with confidence and it is very difficult to know when research that is presented as ‘independent' is truly independent.

Take the internet - if I wanted to know if there was a link between breathing aluminium dust and Alzheimer's disease the first thing I would do is consult Google - I'd probably type in something like:

'the link between breathing aluminium dust and Alzheimer's disease'

I've not tried it but no doubt tens of thousands of results would be returned; I would then look at the titles and descriptions of the results and click on the most relevant.

If the site said categorically there was no link between Aluminium dust and Alzheimer's should I believe it? Some of the indicators I use in deciding whether to accept or reject information on a web site are:

- Site publisher
- Author credentials
- Professional look of the web site
- Information well written without spelling mistakes etc.
- it backs up my argument :lol2:

But is this correct, the site could be bankrolled by Aluminium inc. and the article written by a scientist with a penchant for fine wines, fast cars and loose women (I mean who doesn't? :yeahrite: ).

I suppose the safest way is to not trust any ONE source - read a lot, discuss with people you trust (discussion forums are a good place) and then make up your own mind.

In another thread I discussed unhealthy factory produced chickens whose short and cruel lives are spent fattening up in double quick time so that we can gobble them up and fill our arteries full of goo. Unethical behaviour by the Retailers? I think so. I would like to stress I'm not a vegetarian, a member of the Chicken Freedom Party, or the Anti British Retail Consortium Coalition - I'm just a concerned consumer. :thumbup:

Thanks for the interesting article Franco.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Franco

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 752 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:16 AM

I suppose the safest way is to not trust any ONE source - read a lot, discuss with people you trust (discussion forums are a good place) and then make up your own mind.

:clap:

Thanks for the interesting article Franco.

:oops: You're wellcome mate

An ancient Chinese proverb teaches that the person who waits for a roast duck to fly into their mouth must wait a very long time.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users