• Quick Navigation
Photo

The Most Profitable Ideas For Your Business Are Lying Around...

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:23 PM

The Most Profitable Ideas For Your Business Are Lying Around Frustrated And Untapped Right Under Your Nose
By Chuck Yorke

A recent fascinating study carried out by the journal IRS Employment Review has clearly shown that ideas generated by staff can be worth millions of dollars every year.

The study asked some randomly selected companies to put an annual value on implemented ideas suggested by staff. Just to mention two of the companies polled, Siemens put it at 750,000 British pounds while Pfizer said that improvements ideas from staff generated 250,000 British pounds, annually.

The study noted that although a vast majority of staff suggestion schemes in many companies failed to produce much and were usually abandoned in the end, others usually lead to higher sales, more efficient ways of working and lower costs.

Interestingly 96 per cent of the corporations polled wanted greater staff involvement in their suggestion schemes. Another interesting point that emerged from the study was that although cash had an important part to play in staff motivation, executives believed that workers placed more value on the recognition they received for their efforts.

What all this proves beyond doubt is the fact that the most profitable ideas for improvement in a business are usually lying around frustrated and untapped right under the noses of corporate executives. To make matters worse these ideas usually remain untapped even as most enterprises face stiff competition and falling sales in the marketplace. When things go wrong company boards focus on changing management or acquisitions when the most effective source of solutions is readily available and already on the payroll. And what's more is that it is not too difficult to launch a program for motivating workers to constantly generate ideas for improvement in any corporation.

It is really sad that most enterprises these days do not make any use of this highly effective resource already available and at their disposal in the business.

###

Very long title - very short article. No excuse not to read.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:14 AM

Now I realise the reason why we are asked every year end to bring out our ideas and earn a good amount. These are called as innovative ideas.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Lucysmith

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Stretch Film

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:42 PM

Informative article ans the contents are really near to reality

AB01

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

Hello.

This is my first intervention on this forum.

It is a fact. Normally, general managers are going crasy traying diferent approaches to improve their business, either by reducing costs, improving quality ( product or service), safety or by increasing output ( productivity) and so on.
And the solution is normally next to them, willing to help at low or no added cost,
But they are normally ignored.

For those of you who are familiar with the TPM ( Total productive managemet) methodology ( or Six sigma) you know what I am talking about.
On the early stage of the TPM implementation, a KPI ( one of many) is set up and agreed with the workers: It is expected that every one within the staff to present a certain number of “good ideas”. If a good Idea is selected, normaly by a steering group (staff and management) and measurable gains are expected, then the idea is to be implemented and the worker ( or group of workers) receive a reward ( money, tickets etc.).
It works. The only problem is that most of the time, you get “bombed” with so many ideas that the upper management can not responde on eadequate time…..
AS TPM instructor, I have been using this aproach with sucess in several Industries.

Barbosa

Edited by Simon, 10 December 2008 - 09:44 PM.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

Hello.

This is my first intervention on this forum.

It is a fact. Normally, general managers are going crasy traying diferent approaches to improve their business, either by reducing costs, improving quality ( product or service), safety or by increasing output ( productivity) and so on.
And the solution is normally next to them, willing to help at low or no added cost,
But they are normally ignored.

For those of you who are familiar with the TPM ( Total productive managemet) methodology ( or Six sigma) you know what I am talking about.
On the early stage of the TPM implementation, a KPI ( one of many) is set up and agreed with the workers: It is expected that every one within the staff to present a certain number of “good ideas”. If a good Idea is selected, normaly by a steering group (staff and management) and measurable gains are expected, then the idea is to be implemented and the worker ( or group of workers) receive a reward ( money, tickets etc.).
It works. The only problem is that most of the time, you get “bombed” with so many ideas that the upper management can not responde on eadequate time…..
AS TPM instructor, I have been using this aproach with sucess in several Industries.

Barbosa

Welcome to the forums Barbosa. Interesting topic especially in light of the current global financial crisis. The need to become more efficient has never been so great fo business. I think it is a great opportunity for quality professionals to make their mark and show their value. Senior Management is committed. :smile:

I have to take issue with what you describe above as TPM. It sounds more like a simple suggestion scheme with rewards. I would like to hear more about what you do and how you do it if you have the time.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:00 AM

I have to take issue with what you describe above as TPM. It sounds more like a simple suggestion scheme with rewards. I would like to hear more about what you do and how you do it if you have the time.

Regards,
Simon

Dear all!
While searing on the internet, I have found some useful material related to TPM. Probably many have searched or seen that but I have quoted the same for those who have not approached that yet.

Definition of TPM http://www.encyclope...management.html

Total Productive Management: How manufacturers are accomplishing miracles by managing productively http://www.thinkingm...-management.php

However, I am still confused with the terminology. Before reading all these I elaborated TPM as "Total Productive Maintenance". I still don't know what is the standard elaboration of TPM. The concept, IMO, is almost same.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

Dear all!
While searing on the internet, I have found some useful material related to TPM. Probably many have searched or seen that but I have quoted the same for those who have not approached that yet.

Definition of TPM http://www.encyclope...management.html

Total Productive Management: How manufacturers are accomplishing miracles by managing productively http://www.thinkingm...-management.php

However, I am still confused with the terminology. Before reading all these I elaborated TPM as "Total Productive Maintenance". I still don't know what is the standard elaboration of TPM. The concept, IMO, is almost same.

Hi Zeeshan,

In my mind TPM (whether the P=Productive or Preventive) is all about maintaining machines in optimal condition to ensure uptime, running speed and product quality (OEE) by way of a team approach to maintenance, which includes planned, preventive maintenance by such as engineers and also operator involvement in the monitoring and ongoing maintenance activities whilst running. And all the necessary systems, training, education, tools and support to allow such a TPM culture to develop.

Regards,
Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users