Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

is there any equipment to speed up defrosting big batch raw material?
or what is the right procedure for a food company to defrost frozen raw material?

The following is the procedure i m going to write up

1.0 objective
2.0 procedure
Defrosting food safely is essential in preventing food poisoning. All food must be kept at a safe temperature (< 5 ºC) during defrosting.
2.1 chill room defrosting
2.2 cold water defrosting

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

Dear TinaZ,

It maybe depends what you mean by “big” batch. Of the order of 1 ton up??

Hv seen all 3 of yr mentioned techniques used for frozen seafood. Some systems are bought in, some are custom made but I don’t hv any references off-hand, sorry.

The specific choice probably depends on various factors, eg desired efficiency (weight loss, time, temp.control, etc), the product type / damage sensitivity, local environment and available materials, eg water, amongst others.

IMEX, strict adherence to 5degC is often difficult, hv seen up to 10degC used.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,913 posts
  • 733 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

Air temperatures are sometimes surprisingly high but I would be wary about straying above 5 degrees. IMO it's very important to monitor core and surface temperatures; they can be surprisingly different. Bit more info?

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:05 AM

Dear Tina Z,

Same as the two other members, I think it will be interesting to know your process steps. Why it has to be 5oC? Here are some links which also discussing similar topic like yours:

http://www.ifsqn.com...showtopic=10790

http://www.ifsqn.com...showtopic=11209

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,913 posts
  • 733 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

5 degrees is the limit of growth of a few pathogens. In one site we validated that we could get a core temperature of zero and a surface of 5. It's obviously easier to defrost if you heat up the surface loads but most defrosting units use a combination of surface and core temperatures to control and as the product gets closer to being defrosted, it reduces the temperature to avoid surface hotspots.

I think 5 is a good rule of thumb; 8 would be the limit for me.

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

I think 5 is a good rule of thumb; 8 would be the limit for me.

Makes senses for me. I'll make sure to keep that in my mind whenever running the meat process. Thanks.

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,845 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:02 PM

Can I ask what the frozen material is? Maybe it has already been mentioned in the thread, maybe it does not matter?? :dunno:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

Dear Arya,

I guess the most famous exception to the 5degC (or often 4.4 in USA from memory) guide is L.monocytogenes (as I suspect you already know).

And the most common exceptions to the operational 5degC guide are probably in the tropics (ambient temperature 30degC up !) :smile:

As a corollary to Simon's post, the eventual pathogenic-related consequences of not following the guide will depend on the product, its starting microbiological characteristics and the following process (eg, RTE or not, any kill steps or not).

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,913 posts
  • 733 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

Listeria can grow at zero but not quickly. The peak growth rate is around 30 something from memory. The 4.4 you're thinking of is the pH I believe?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:37 AM

Dear GMO,

Re 4.4, guess I was remembering this earlier link –

http://www.fsis.usda..._Thaw/index.asp

The Americans do love their Fahrenheits !

To illustrate the diversity of opinion - another, claimed validated, earlier link (and a prestigious website I believe) -

Validated Critical Limits based on study results:
• Intact chicken (frozen at -4°F or colder) weighing 3.68 lb or more can be thawed up to 9 hours at a temperature up to 86°F
• Ground beef (frozen at -4°F or colder) weighing 3 lb or more can be thawed up to 9 hours at a temperature up to 86°F
• Ground beef (frozen at -4°F or colder) weighing 1 lb or more can be thawed up to 9 hours at a temperature up to 72°F
http://meathaccp.wis...zen_chicken.htm

(note that the quoted temps are for the surrounding environment)

Have little doubt many people will be uncomfortable with the second one (including myself). Probably is counter to most current published HACCP plans. Guess it rather depends on their validation of “significant” growth for one thing.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

tina Z

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• China
    China

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

Can I ask what the frozen material is? Maybe it has already been mentioned in the thread, maybe it does not matter?? :dunno:

Thank you for everyone's kind replies. all your information is very useful.

the frozen materials defrosted in our site include duck leg, beef slice and shredded duck meat.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,913 posts
  • 733 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

I think the air temperature is less important than the product temperature. Naturally the air temperature has to be raised for defrosting to take place in a reasonable length of time as long as it's all validated around what temperature the product reaches.

Spreading out the food (if it's IQF) can help but I'd put a cover over to prevent drying out, e.g. a piece of plastic (food safe, distictive colour and decent thickness e.g. 45 micron plus before I get the foreign body police whipping out a baton on me!)

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:42 AM

Validated Critical Limits based on study results:
• Intact chicken (frozen at -4°F or colder) weighing 3.68 lb or more can be thawed up to 9 hours at a temperature up to 86°F
• Ground beef (frozen at -4°F or colder) weighing 3 lb or more can be thawed up to 9 hours at a temperature up to 86°F
• Ground beef (frozen at -4°F or colder) weighing 1 lb or more can be thawed up to 9 hours at a temperature up to 72°F
http://meathaccp.wis...zen_chicken.htm

I would be comfortable with the surrounding temperatures till 10oC max for thawing, temperatures upto 30oC is questionable for 9 hours. Maybe thorough cooking can eliminate any hazards, could be the point behind the time/temp in the thawing process.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users