• Quick Navigation
Photo

Gloves Versus Handwashing

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is Safest Gloves or Handwashing (305 member(s) have cast votes)

Gloves or Handwashing

1. Gloves (52 votes [17.05%])

Percentage of vote: 17.05%

2. Handwashing (237 votes [77.70%])

Percentage of vote: 77.70%

3. Unsure (16 votes [5.25%])

Percentage of vote: 5.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote
- - - - -

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

We enforce proper hand washing and use gloves/sanitizer. Here is our procedure:

Have you thought about a version with pictures as they tend to work quite well?

Regards,

Tony

TheDude

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Have you thought about a version with pictures as they tend to work quite well?

Regards,

Tony

Agreed. We also have instructions with pictures posted above each wash sink.

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

I still say that using gloves provides a false sense of food safety.  It would be better to have proper and effective hand washing practiced at a facility than gloves.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

KevinB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

HI Simon,

This is an argument that I lost a year ago. My opinion is that gloves are an illusion of cleanliness and that people do not treat their gloved hands with the same care they do bare hands. I gave up fighting this after attending a risk reduction seminar for cheese makers. I asked the professor giving it his opinion on the subject. His response was "What side would you like me to be on? I can argue booth side equally as well with equal amounts of data to refute the other sides arguments. Neither side can win." It all boils down to perception and most people's perception, in my opinion, is "they have gloves on they must have good sanitation practices".  Almost everyone who visits our facility has commented on the crew wearing gloves and how good it is to see that. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

Dear Kevin Burnsteel,

I would suggest it also depends on certain specific perceptions, eg Training, logical sanitation practices, monitoring. HACCP ?

IMO, as per yr closing sentence, a sampling of the preference for a "critical" step addressed to visitors's perceptions  would significantly favour the glove option even if "appropriate" hygiene controls were guaranteed either way. Human's perception of other humans ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:35 AM

Almost everyone who visits our facility has commented on the crew wearing gloves and how good it is to see that. 

And .......they probably will continue to do so until they find a glove or part of a glove in a product.

Swings and roundabouts ;)

Regards,

Tony

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Excellent point Tony.

In a previous position we did require some position to wear gloves.  We never had that happen to us but we did have an ingredient supplier, whom we copacked for, ship us domes that had bits of glove in it.  We found 3 domes that had glove pieces in them and highlights another reason why I don't like gloves.

If you lose a finger in the product your going to know right away.  If you lose a piece of glove apparently you might not.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

jamesdlm

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

OK we've had the debate so which, taking everything into account and in your opinion is the safest - gloves or handwashing. Please vote in the poll.

Simon

Simon,

Much of this discussion seems to be comparing proper hand washing to neglectful glove use. I would assert that proper glove use (i.e. properly washing hands before donning gloves, and appropriately changing gloves is safer than bare hand contact. would you prefer your surgeon properly wash only and then dig in with bare hands, or properly glove (which includes the proper wash step)? 

James

Thanked by 1 Member:

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

Simon,

Much of this discussion seems to be comparing proper hand washing to neglectful glove use. I would assert that proper glove use (i.e. properly washing hands before donning gloves, and appropriately changing gloves is safer than bare hand contact. would you prefer your surgeon properly wash only and then dig in with bare hands, or properly glove (which includes the proper wash step)? 

James

Surgical gloves are different.....they are sterilized. What we use in the food industry are not sterilized. Surgical protocols are far different than what most of do in the food industry. And in emergency situations, bare hands have been used without issue (at least from the hands).

We have become so reliant on gloves but am curious under what conditions they are manufactured under. Inquiring mind. We would like to believe under good GMP, but we would also like to believe that of a lot of companies.....but that doesn't make it true.

Edited by Snookie, 27 November 2013 - 06:47 PM.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Simon,

James

Yes very good point, the surgeon illustrates the point very well.  I would prefer him wearing gloves, however, there is a difference between a surgeon massaging my innards and a food worker prepping my chicken.  I think.

Whatever the choice the keyword is effectiveness, an effective system beats the ineffective system hands down. If they are both super effective then maybe gloves is safer.  But, a key factor in building and maintaining an effective system is simplicity and gloves are an added complication.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Without proper hand washing an operator is probably going to contaminate their gloves just putting them on.  Start with the basics imho.  If you have proper hand washing then the need for gloves is really irrelevant. They make you smile and feel good... so does beer.

Mr. Incognito

Ruhama

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Lesotho
    Lesotho
  • Interests:I love God, I like Food Safety and Quality, I like watching Tyler Perry's Movies. Auditing and customers visits interests me a lot.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Both hand washing and gloves washing need to be done thoroughly. I am working in a Production Company at Processing plant. We are not using disposal gloves we use Heavy Duty Nitrile Lined Green glove. When entering processing facility they are washed properly and sanitized just like hands. Following the hand washing instructions.  

Regards

Ruhama Thooko

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Highlands Trout (Pty) Ltd

Jehova Jire

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

At my last plant our policy was to change gloves not wash them because we didn't have any studies on how the chemicals in the soap/sanitizer may affect the gloves.  If it dissolves the gloves at all then there may be entry points from the outside to the inside and vice versa.

People from the company we co-packed for told me it was acceptable to wash gloves but in the end we decided against it.

Mr. Incognito

Empirestate

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

We just handwash every 30 minutes or after breaks or after a product is changed. Swob testing has shown this to be very effective in our case

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

On an aside when I saw "Empirestate" I thought you were in NY like me (New York is the Empire State) lol

:off_topic:

Back on topic:

You can't argue with results.

Mr. Incognito

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:47 PM

I just stumbled on this topic, and it has been interesting to read.  We just decided this summer to stop using gloves.  Our building is not air conditioned, and the process produces heat.  Sometimes the temperature in the building reaches 100 degrees.  Yes, I monitor the temperature and the workers are instructed to drink water and leave the hot area every 15 minutes at those times.  When they were wearing gloves, some of the workers perspired a lot, which created a hazard as well.

So we decided to push frequent hand washing and not require gloves.  Our product is low moisture and not RTE, and is mostly contained in the equipment.  It's not like they are handling a lot of materials.

I think we are going to do well.  I just started ATP monitoring this week, and without any increase in the sanitation, I did not see high readings on places where the hands touch.  We are initiating a regular sanitizing wipe of hand contact locations, and we'll see how this makes the readings go down even more, but they were not that bad to start with.

I definitely agree, wearing PPE gives people the "Superman" complex, they think they can do anything and everything is protected.  I think they are more careful with no gloves on.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

mamad123

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:01 AM

Hi,,

I prefer to use both of them. but in one condition that every 1 hour, handwashing (50 ppm chlorine) should be conducted.

when we did the validation. we got satisfied result on hand swabbing and product's TPC.

regards

teaks

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 33 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

My experience is that, when wearing gloves, employees tend to let them get dirtier (with product - not with dirt) then they do with bare hands.  Additionally, our employees hate waste, so they don't want to throw out the gloves! Yikes!

The other problem with gloves is the foreign material aspect:  If someone's glove rips, now you have to look for the missing piece......

KevinB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

I gave up the fight and threw in the towel. We used to do business with the DOD and one of there inspectors came in and pushed the issue. There concern was for staph. The first time they came to inspect they took samples for micro testing. They didn't even test for staph.!! I gave up the fight when i asked the instructor   giving a food safety risk reduction course for artisan cheese makers if he could help me with this. He said sure what side of the arugement do you want me to argue? I can argue booth sides equally and neither side can win. It boils down to peoples perception. We now wear gloves and have been for about a year and a half. We have a viewing area into our plant and whenever anyone comes in they go ohh and ahhh they must be clean look everyone is wearing gloves. I personally hate them as a general requirement for everyone. For specific tasks I agree with there use.

Without proper hand washing an operator is probably going to contaminate their gloves just putting them on.  Start with the basics imho.  If you have proper hand washing then the need for gloves is really irrelevant. They make you smile and feel good... so does beer.

I agree with MR.I it give everyone a false since of security.  

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

I just stumbled on this topic, and it has been interesting to read.  We just decided this summer to stop using gloves.  Our building is not air conditioned, and the process produces heat.  Sometimes the temperature in the building reaches 100 degrees.  Yes, I monitor the temperature and the workers are instructed to drink water and leave the hot area every 15 minutes at those times.  When they were wearing gloves, some of the workers perspired a lot, which created a hazard as well.

So we decided to push frequent hand washing and not require gloves.  Our product is low moisture and not RTE, and is mostly contained in the equipment.  It's not like they are handling a lot of materials.

I think we are going to do well.  I just started ATP monitoring this week, and without any increase in the sanitation, I did not see high readings on places where the hands touch.  We are initiating a regular sanitizing wipe of hand contact locations, and we'll see how this makes the readings go down even more, but they were not that bad to start with.

I definitely agree, wearing PPE gives people the "Superman" complex, they think they can do anything and everything is protected.  I think they are more careful with no gloves on.

Martha

Dear MWidra,

From the Workers POV, are these temperature conditions legally permitted ? Or perhaps this is the point of the 15min exercise ?

It reminds me of the rules in WTA tennis tournaments ( + humidity from memory).

Perhaps it relates to the process also.

BTW, atp does not necessarily monitor microbiological status.

AC is not an option ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

From the Workers POV, are these temperature conditions legally permitted ? Or perhaps this is the point of the 15min exercise ?

It reminds me of the rules in WTA tennis tournaments ( + humidity from memory).

Perhaps it relates to the process also.

BTW, atp does not necessarily monitor microbiological status.

AC is not an option ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Yes, these temps are OK as long as they drink and take the breaks.  I've got the OSHA heat safety app on my phone, and I go back and check the building temp during the day.  Also, people can tolerate these temps better if they are exposed to them gradually, over a period of 2 weeks.  Some of our workers are well acclimated.  This is inside, not in the sun, which helps a lot.

I'm well aware that ATP does not check for specific microbes, only biological material.  Very familiar with luciferin and luciferase reactions from doing luminescence assays.  We are fortunate that none of our products contain ATP (all cellulose powder), so any ATP is some form of contamination from workers or the outside.  It's a cleanliness tool.  Our process is almost totally contained in the equipment, so it is mostly "untouched by human hands."

AC is not an option.  The building is too large (about 3 stories high with a decent footprint, all open) to even attempt.

As an aside, I remember when Johns Hopkins University was working on the luciferin/luciferase system and bought lightning bugs from kids.  It's the basis for all ATP luminescence testing.

http://retrobaltimor...-lightning-bugs

Martha.

Edited by MWidra, 19 December 2014 - 03:31 PM.

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

TBH, i think the WTA results demonstrated that the parameters as used in OSHA app may have some limitations.

Having had to work in 100+degF when the AC failed, i have some pity for the workers.

Better watch out for Crabs with Guns :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Edited by Charles.C, 19 December 2014 - 04:11 PM.
edited

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

The puppies have all the guns... none for crabs  :roflmao:

Mr. Incognito

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

Dear Mr Inc.

Getting a bit too OT i fear, must be the Xmas Spirit(s).

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

The puppies have all the guns... none for crabs  :roflmao:

giant-crab.jpg

Crabs don't need guns.  Anyone who has handled them is scared to come close to those claws.

And, to attempt to get this a little less OT, no glove will protect you from this.

Martha

Edited by MWidra, 19 December 2014 - 04:18 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users