• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

Dear All,

We are the manufacturer of oil soluble oleoresins and essential oils. We want to start retail
marketing of water soluble oleoresins (ex Tea Masala),where ppl can use in their tea..etc.
How can we convert the oil based oleoresins to water soluble oleoresins. I have an idea that
it can be done by adding emulsifiers and stabilizers??

Please help me by providing more info on this matter. What stabilizer and how much to be used?
similarily for emulsifiers?

Thanks

SaRaRa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 186 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:40 PM

Hello!

I made a quick search. Here is what I 've found. I hope that you can find something useful! I think "Plating" is what you are looking for, even though I am not 100% sure...

Spice oleoresins - Description

Oleoresin

Principle forms of processed spices

Spice Extractives

Processing of Spices Using Supercritical Fluids

Plating

Plated Flavourings

Handbook of Herbs and Spices

Source Book of Flavours

Market Trends

Cheers!

Philip

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

Hi Philip,

Unfortuately, the links you provided this time round does not seemed to be what Sandy needs.

Some flavoring lessons for you here! :smarty:

Plating may be the oldest form of method (and the cheapest) to turn liquid flavor into solid powder, but it will not change the solubility of the liquid flavor. Neither does it have very long shelf life.

E.g. if you plate water-soluble flavor with maltodextrin, you will dissolve the powder in water with no problem. But if you plate oil-soluble flavor with maltodextrin, the oil will still surface to the top if you dissolve it in water.

Since the flavorings are adsorbed onto the powder, there are not much protection against oxidation, thus reducing the shelf life significantly.

Hi Sandy,

This happened to be within my field. Let me see if I can help you out.

As you have mentioned, you need an emulsifier to do the job. But you also need a good homogenizer to form a stable emulsion.

Then depending on the application, if you want your end product to be cloudy in appearence, I guess there are alot of emulsifiers to choose from, with the more popular one from National Starch's PURITY GUM 2000 or CNI's EFICACIA.

But if you want your end product to be clear, then another set of emulsifiers are required, like sugar esters.

If you want in-depth details to flavor emulsion, you can try to get hold of David Julian McClement's Food Emulsion reference book.

Hope these info are of help to you.

Added:

Hint - You might get hold of the digital copy of the book from a link that one of the members here posted in another thread... :whistle:

Edited by Hongyun, 20 June 2009 - 11:36 AM.

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

SaRaRa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 186 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

Thank you very much Hongyun!!! :thumbup:
Lesson learned!!!

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:50 AM

Dear All,

We are the manufacturer of oil soluble oleoresins and essential oils. We want to start retail
marketing of water soluble oleoresins (ex Tea Masala),where ppl can use in their tea..etc.
How can we convert the oil based oleoresins to water soluble oleoresins. I have an idea that
it can be done by adding emulsifiers and stabilizers??

Please help me by providing more info on this matter. What stabilizer and how much to be used?
similarily for emulsifiers?

Thanks

Dear Soni,

You can use standardized extract or in form of micro-particulate,
which may instantly dispersed in hot water or milk even in unstirred state
may need to check glycemic index / product will form lumps or not,
May I know the composition / ingredients and the process of getting oil soluble oleoresins (Tea masala),
so that i can look and provide you the suitable information.

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

Did the information provided answer your question Sandy?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users