• Quick Navigation
Photo

Food Inspector & Auditor - What is the difference?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:06 AM

Dear All;

Just I want to ask about Auditing in Food factories or any food establishments, What is the Actual job for the Auditors? what they Audit? and the last inquire . What is the different between Food inspector and the Auditor in terms of position and task?

Best Regards

Monzer

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

Just I want to ask about Auditing in Food factories or any food establishments, What is the Actual job for the Auditors? what they Audit? and the last inquire . What is the different between Food inspector and the Auditor in terms of position and task?

Hi Monzer,

In the UK a FOOD SAFETY INSPECTOR works for the local government carrying out random and scheduled inspections in food premises making sure companies are complying with the law and checking their premises and practices are fit for purpose to serve and deliver safe food. They also investigate complaints and incidents of food poisoning. They have lots of other responsibilities and legal powers - For more details:

Environmental health officers (EHOs) Role

In the UK a FOOD SAFETY AUDITOR could be someone who carries out audits internally within their own business or perhaps at their suppliers or both. These days Food Safety Auditors often carry out audits for Certification Bodies against the BRC Food Standard and other standards as part of the certification process, checking policies, processes, procedures and practices against the requirements of the standard. These auditors have no legal powers; their work just puts commercial pressure on organizations in terms of them failing an audit, getting multiple nonconformities and the threat of losing business or reducing the opportunity of gaining new business. It may also help the organization to keep their foot on the pedal in maintaining an effective food safety management system and perhaps even helping them to improve.

Hope this helps – it could be different in other countries.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:18 AM

Dear All;

Best Regards

Monzer

The difference according to me is qualification & responsibilities:

In my country food inspector is from municipality / government they come and inspect the factory/plant - raw materials & storage, product and process and finished goods & storage, whether all complying with rules and regulation / laws, GMP, etc.

Where as Auditor i.e. external or internal checks against the system / standards, eg. HACCP certified company - whether the plant, products and process is according to HACCP standards meets or not. In particular to ISO standards and other few observances related to GHP and GMP.

For both the background will be the same only the difference is in experience, training and qualification.

Hope this explanation clears your query!

Feel free to ask me anytime,

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:03 PM

My Definition

A food inspector is an auditor who has authority from local government to carry out an inspection of your establishment as mandated by the scope of the local government requirements/standard which could be laws/ by laws/acts or regulations.Usually they have a ceize-and-destroy authority or a shut-you-down authority.In most cases these do not have a direct relationship with the company.ALL FOOD INSPECTORS ARE AUDITORS

Food safety auditor as any person who can be an employee or an independent professional- They do not have the authority to report shut you down or to ceize product but they have authority ( and obligation) to report findings to their client which could be you or your customers. Their scope can follow local governemnt requirements but also include relevant customer requiremnts.NOT ALL FOOD SAFETY AUDITORS CAN BE CALLED FOOD INSPECTORS

A vu in time , saves nine

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:12 PM

Thanks guys. Well so far it seems pretty much that Inspectors and Auditors have similar roles in the UK, UAE and Canada.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,238 posts
  • 1294 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

My Definition

A food inspector is an auditor who has authority from local government to carry out an inspection of your establishment as mandated by the scope of the local government requirements/standard which could be laws/ by laws/acts or regulations.Usually they have a ceize-and-destroy authority or a shut-you-down authority.In most cases these do not have a direct relationship with the company.ALL FOOD INSPECTORS ARE AUDITORS

Food safety auditor as any person who can be an employee or an independent professional- They do not have the authority to report shut you down or to ceize product but they have authority ( and obligation) to report findings to their client which could be you or your customers. Their scope can follow local governemnt requirements but also include relevant customer requiremnts.NOT ALL FOOD SAFETY AUDITORS CAN BE CALLED FOOD INSPECTORS

Absolutely agree Food inspectors can shut your business that's the difference

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:10 AM

Dear All,

Well, just to be expansive :rolleyes: , a frequent species of external inspector met at establishments focussing on "animal" related food to be exported to EC are "veterinary inspectors". I doubt whether this function as related to food production wud be familiar in UK but, for example -

The aim of this review is to provide an insight into the current state of, and future changes in, veterinary education. At present, Veterinary Inspectors need to have the appropriate education, relevant experience and the ability to carry out their duties in the context of inspections. They should respond to the changes in legislation related to food and to the official control systems and must take into account the Community rules. In effect, there is still a wide diversity among schools in Italy and in Europe, showing that there is an urgent need for harmonization of the veterinary education, in order to have a common basis of knowledge. Moreover, it is important to maintain and update all knowledge by means of the so-called lifelong learning. Along the educational route of the veterinary inspector, many gaps still exist: the entire system of learning should be revised, with the aim of having a well-integrated education system in cooperation with all the figures involved. In this way Veterinary Inspectors will be able to face the new issues posed by society and the globalization of food consumption and will be able to maintain their position in the assurance of food safety.

http://www.springerl...41132g6l286435/

What's in a name ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

Dear All;

I want to thank everybody particibated and answered my questions.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users