• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality Management Systems, HACCP

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

Something I have an involvement in outside my working hours is running a couple of internet tv channels and it occurred to me last night in bed that perhaps an internet tv channel dedicated to food safety might be worth a try.

If anyone would like to help me in setting something like this up or you just want to contribute, please let me know. You won't get paid for it but if you contribute something like a video or a food safety presentation then at least you can say that your work has been featured on a food safety channel.

It might be good to do live interviews with regulators etc (don't need to pay them as they will do it as part of their job!).

I can arrange the broadcasting, designing a logo and marketing etc. If you're interested please comment!!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:58 AM

Something I have an involvement in outside my working hours is running a couple of internet tv channels and it occurred to me last night in bed that perhaps an internet tv channel dedicated to food safety might be worth a try.

A man after my own heart. I thought beds were designed for more interesting pursuits.

I'm interested in hearing more about your ideas. You'll need to exapand and provide more detail though as I cannot viusualise it.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Simon - since coming back to work here I don't seem to do anything more interesting in bed than think about HACCP, allergens, Tesco and BRC. My better half thinks I have gone completely bonkers, especially because I woke up at 2am one morning shouting "Allergen declarations!". I'm quite lucky she's a very understanding lady and I think the fact that she used to work in a psychiatric unit helps!!

Anyhow - back to the idea of an internet tv channel for food safety.

I was thinking that the channel could show programmes like food safety news, training videos on food safety, HACCP and various standards, interviews with regulators and government ministers etc. This might sound a bit ambitious but we could even make our own documentaries centred around members of the IFSQN.

The idea in the main is to provide a resource for food safety professionals to access visual content.

Setting up the channel doesn't cost a bean and the channel could become an extension of IFSQN. It could even sell IFSQN products as well as advertising from those that might wish to advertise.

Bear in mind that this thought is only in its infancy and needs some considerable development therefore ideas and contributions from members would be genuinely welcomed so that we develop a resource that we can all have a stake in.

Edited by pawilliams1, 29 July 2009 - 01:59 PM.

SaRaRa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 186 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

Very interesting idea! :thumbup:
I suppose its going to be a bit difficult to organise such an attempt considering that most members reside in different countries. This though can also be a plus because valueable information concerning regulations, codes of practice etc for each country can be gained.

One problem could be the "uniformity" of the shows/interviews/presentations. Maybe some kind of common form/some basic steps should be established so everyone can have a basic idea of where to start, what to do, in what "form" to present his work etc. Maybe some basic categories should be created and some basic steps/ideas/tips could be provided for each one.

Cheers!
Filip

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:55 PM

Very interesting idea! :thumbup:
I suppose its going to be a bit difficult to organise such an attempt considering that most members reside in different countries. This though can also be a plus because valueable information concerning regulations, codes of practice etc for each country can be gained.

One problem could be the "uniformity" of the shows/interviews/presentations. Maybe some kind of common form/some basic steps should be established so everyone can have a basic idea of where to start, what to do, in what "form" to present his work etc. Maybe some basic categories should be created and some basic steps/ideas/tips could be provided for each one.

Cheers!
Filip

Thank you - there's a couple of interesting points.

I agree that it would probably be a good thing to have information regarding regulations etc in other countries, particularly if a company is thinking of supplying that market.

With regard to uniformity of approach etc, I guess that we can take a leaf out of our own proverbial food safety books and write out a Standard Operating Procedure for producing content. In fact, it sound like a jolly good idea to me!

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:06 AM

I've just had another thought on this.

If anyone has or wants to make a video presentation regarding food safety - in any style you want but as long as the language is English - then please do so. I could set up the channel, run a few test videos from the members.

I can have the channel set up so that a chat room appears alongside and then viewers, hopefully members of IFSQN in the main, can then comment and let us know what they want to see on it and don't want to see.

And if you happen to read this Simon, I would like to ask your permission to call it the IFSQN channel and co-brand with this site. And if you're planning to upgrade or amend this site in any way, you could actually show the broadcasts on here.

Anyway, if anyone wants to make a video or has one that I can use (legitimately and without copyright infringement or having to pay royalties etc), then please send it to me at my personal e-mail address, pawilliams1@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:33 PM

I love the idea of videos and interactivity and I’m all for extending the reach of the site in creative ways. But I have to say I am completely out of my depth. I feel like I’m entering a dark room that I’ve never been in before. I need you to switch the light on, or at least lend me your torch. :smile:

Can you show us what you mean perhaps on a channel you have already worked on? It doesn't necessarily have to be food safety at this stage and can be anything just so that we can understand the principle and where it is – internet TV? Digital television. If you want to draw people in and get them involved the more you can show us the better.

I am very interested though.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

I’ve just been going through some of the recent threads and noticed this one.

Online Food Safety Lectures and Videos

Looks like there’s already people on with this idea using YouTube. Still I imagine room for plenty more.

Regards,
Simon

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:09 PM

Dear pawilliams 1,

comment and let us know what they want to see on it and don't want to see

I can give you one quick answer for HACCP - people want to see actual situations which have meaning to them and which show solutions intelligibly explained. Most presentations are 95% waffle IMEX with no worthwhile examples given.

If one is talking about official (eg USFDA) type FS/HACCP videos, they have been used for training purposes for 20 years +. Not so cheap though. Local public health departments will maybe loan them to bonafide applications if asked nicely.

Similar to Simon's link but not on Utube, the US hv been offering free, on-line items also for a very long time but they are generally not very good IMHO. Reasons as above and often simply not deep enough. There are some other links on this site (somewhere :smile: ).

Not trying to be negative, yr entrepreneurial inclinations are praiseworthy. Please be wary of sub-prime situations though. :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

The thing with this idea is to create a channel for those involved in and concerned with food safety, quality, legality etc.

I agree that most of the videos produced by regulators and enforcement authorities tend to be not very good. That is why I would like to develop it as a resource for food professionals that can be drawn upon and used whilst providing an interactive and real time forum to discuss topics of relevance.

There are plenty of places like You Tube where one can search for and find videos but again, these tend to be not very good. Admittedly I haven't had a look at the one's Simon's pointed out yet but in general videos on You Tube tend to be a bit crap.

There are plenty of channels at www.livestream.com that will give you an idea of how these channels work and they can be embedded into any website (including this one!!). The great thing is that all broadcasts, including live ones, can be recorded for playback on demand and any scheduled videos in the playlist can be made available on demand.

If we get this idea off the ground, the best thing about it is that it will be a channel for food safety professionals, run by food safety professionals and with content made for food safety professionals.

It will take some time to learn how to use the interface and to learn to create videos with professional effects but it is do-able. I know how to use various bits of software to produce a variety of effects, I can manipulate video and I can add music and titles - it didn't take me very long to learn!!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

The thing with this idea is to create a channel for those involved in and concerned with food safety, quality, legality etc.

I agree that most of the videos produced by regulators and enforcement authorities tend to be not very good. That is why I would like to develop it as a resource for food professionals that can be drawn upon and used whilst providing an interactive and real time forum to discuss topics of relevance.

There are plenty of places like You Tube where one can search for and find videos but again, these tend to be not very good. Admittedly I haven't had a look at the one's Simon's pointed out yet but in general videos on You Tube tend to be a bit crap.

There are plenty of channels at www.livestream.com that will give you an idea of how these channels work and they can be embedded into any website (including this one!!). The great thing is that all broadcasts, including live ones, can be recorded for playback on demand and any scheduled videos in the playlist can be made available on demand.

If we get this idea off the ground, the best thing about it is that it will be a channel for food safety professionals, run by food safety professionals and with content made for food safety professionals.

It will take some time to learn how to use the interface and to learn to create videos with professional effects but it is do-able. I know how to use various bits of software to produce a variety of effects, I can manipulate video and I can add music and titles - it didn't take me very long to learn!!

As mentioned previously I fully support this initiative and provided the videos are of reasonable quality, are educational and the information provided is valid and accurate I am happy to publish the videos on the website.

Personally I do not have the time to commit to being involved in any of the work in making the videos from either end of the camera. But if you do have anything I will obviously do whatever is necessary to get them published on the site.

It’s over to you really.

Regards,
Simon

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hi there

Just for starters why doesn't someone make a video of the correct changing procedure for going into a high risk area - I'm thinking a very good looking male model.

Wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself.

Rosie

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hi there

Just for starters why doesn't someone make a video of the correct changing procedure for going into a high risk area - I'm thinking a very good looking male model.

Wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself.

Rosie

OHH Rosie......i'm thinking Brad Pitt......Full whites change!!!!
i'm come over all peculiar. Damn good idea!

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

OK - what I'll do to start off with is set up the channel - if someone can think of a good, catchy name for it that would be good! "Food Poisoning TV" is something my missus came up with but I don't think that is a very good suggestion.

Once I have set up the channel, I'll get some videos relating to food safety on there - initially they probably won't be very good because they'll be ones that I find on the internet that I can use without infringing copyright etc. I'll see if the FSA and Gwynedd Council have any I can use as well - these will be for test purposes to determine the best values etc.

Once it's all set up and running with the test videos, I'll let you all know and we can go from there!!

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

Safe Food TV

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

OK - what I'll do to start off with is set up the channel - if someone can think of a good, catchy name for it that would be good! "Food Poisoning TV" is something my missus came up with but I don't think that is a very good suggestion.

Once I have set up the channel, I'll get some videos relating to food safety on there - initially they probably won't be very good because they'll be ones that I find on the internet that I can use without infringing copyright etc. I'll see if the FSA and Gwynedd Council have any I can use as well - these will be for test purposes to determine the best values etc.

Once it's all set up and running with the test videos, I'll let you all know and we can go from there!!

Sounds like a good plan. Please keep us up to date on progress.

Safe Food TV

How about

International Food Safety TV Network :smile:

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

OK - have now set up the channel, currently testing it etc. I have gone with "FoodSafe TV" as a name, for now at least.

There's a couple of videos on there for test purposes at the mo - one is an American basic food safety course which is not very good so I have only included three parts. The other is a funny selection of song parodies centred around food safety and are quite funny in my opinion.

The link to the channel whilst in testing mode is http://www.livestream.com/foodsafetv

I will add/remove videos as I get time to continue testing and will set an actual launch date for the channel shortly. If anyone has anything to contribute please feel free to e-mail me.

In the meantime, enjoy the music!!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

I'm quite impressed with what you have managed to achieve in a short space of time. Your vision is becoming television. :smile: Looking good.

Please keep us in touch.

I would be interested to know how it can be incoroprated into the website or how you see it working with the website?

By the way if nobody has beaten me to it this is the 29,000 post on the forums. Another milestone is reached. :clap:

Regards,
Simon

SaRaRa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 186 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:54 PM

Everytime I join this forum this song comes to mi mind!

Calvin Harris - Acceptable in the 80s

I suggest we make it the basic theme of the forum and the channel!!!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :shades: :band: :shades: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:11 PM

I would be interested to know how it can be incoroprated into the website or how you see it working with the website?

Hi Simon

You would need to add a little button along the top somewhere (right next to the "Forum" button perhaps) with FoodSafe TV as the name. You can then simply embed the channel into a page and it will, as if by magic, appear wherever on the page you wish to place it.

But there's plenty of time - I need to get the channel configured properly first and get some good quality videos on there. Perhaps a nicer logo and channel ident when I get more than quarter of hour to work on it.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:37 PM

dear PAW1,

Amazing :thumbup: but how does one progress from the general page shown by yr link to the actual music ?

(I don't mind being called technology challenged. :smile: )

(I played around [midnight GMT] with yr channel name but none of the buttons seem functional, loo break perhaps :rolleyes: )

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

dear PAW1,

Amazing :thumbup: but how does one progress from the general page shown by yr link to the actual music ?

(I played around [midnight GMT] with yr channel name but none of the buttons seem functional, loo break perhaps :rolleyes: )

Rgds / Charles.C

Hi Charles

Once you go to channel page (http://www.livestream.com/foodsafetv) the channel will load in your browser. It then cycles through the videos. I haven't added OD content yet because it takes a while to tweek the channel to work, depending on settings etc. It also seems to be slower in some browsers - Internet Explorer 7.0 seems to be very slow and the best browser to use seems to be Google Chrome.

If you wait for the boring American food safety video to finish, the music videos will come on straight after. They really are quite funny!

Once I have some content for the channel that is actually really useful, I will put in the OD section so viewers can access as required. There is also a chat room underneath the display screen where viewers can chat about the contents of a presentation etc - a useful feature I think!!

The important thing about the channel is that it becomes a useful tool for food safety professionals and that it provides you with what you want. So, any suggestions for content please let me know.

I hope this helps but if anyone has any more questions feel free to ask.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

dear PAW1,

Rgds / Charles.C

Whos got the remote? :whistle:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

dear PAW1,

Sorry mate,

I use ffox 3.5/no script/adblock/xp/sp2. (not an IE lover and chrome has received mixed reviews, fair enough it's very much a work in progress but I choose to not be the guinea pig :smile: )

Result = website only, no videos etc. Even tried releasing noscript (holding my breath) but no benefit.

Probably same reason that the site automatic login has never worked for me (IE6/ffox/opera). :whistle:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:55 AM

dear PAW1,

Sorry mate,

I use ffox 3.5/no script/adblock/xp/sp2. (not an IE lover and chrome has received mixed reviews, fair enough it's very much a work in progress but I choose to not be the guinea pig :smile: )

Result = website only, no videos etc. Even tried releasing noscript (holding my breath) but no benefit.

Probably same reason that the site automatic login has never worked for me (IE6/ffox/opera). :whistle:

Rgds / Charles.C

Hi Charles

Have you got Adobe Flash Player installed? If not, you can download it for free at www.adobe.com

This should help.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users