• Quick Navigation
Photo

What should be the frequency of refresher training?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

KarenT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

Hi
was wondering what frequency of refresher training for food hygiene, HACCP or general job related training other people are working to?

Thanks

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hi
was wondering what frequency of refresher training for food hygiene, HACCP or general job related training other people are working to?

Thanks

BRC doesn't state a specific time, but as a rule of thumb,

CIEH recommend refresher training for Food Hygiene is every 2-3 years, I do HACCP at same time.

If a procedure changes we do retraining then, and i do a full procedure refresher every 2 years.

you need to risk assess it!

Caz x

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hi

Thanks

Hello Karen, where abouts are you then?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

Looking at it from a slightly different point of view.

I think the frequency should be daily.

Fundamentally the operators should already be trained and have the underpinning knowledge, therefore refresher training is about keeping that knowledge updated and alive with topical issues. It’s the application of knowledge at all times that is the key and operators need the motivation to do this.

To me refresher training is a daily process that never ends.

I imagine employee motivation, knowledge and enthusiasm as a big pan of boiling water. As it boils if left unattended the motivation, knowledge and enthusiasm escapes to the atmosphere. We can choose to fill it up again with a big batch of water, hopefully before it runs dry or we can continually drip a little in every day to replace and replenish.

Don’t worry I’m not in drugs. Maybe I should be. :smile:

In short take every opportunity, every day to refresh operators by using all means necessary. Communicate everything to everyone. New customers, lost customers, business climate and results, new products, process and product changes, changes in legislation and standards, customer complaints, customer smiles, internal nonconformities, involve them in projects, internal and external audit findings. The list is endless. All of this is refresher training. Not all related to hygiene but it’s the all round motivation that’s important as much as the knowledge.

Good leadership and management practices also help.

Then find a way to convince the order you have refresher training.

Just my thoughts.
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Sirius

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:33 PM

Ah, this question is right up my alley. ^_^

I'm the Training Manager at the largest public hospital in South Australia, employing 260 people over six regional campuses, so we have not only an obligation to the general public but also to the vulnerable population. In that regard, I plan yearly mandatory training sessions in some key areas:

Food Safety - taking in not only the Food Act but also the regulations laid out in FSANZ (Food Standards on Australia & New Zealand) as well as our own stringent policies & procedures.

Occupational Health, Safety & Welfare - in some way to try and reduce WorkCover claims.

Respectful Behaviour - not just sexual harrassment anymore.

Fire Safety and Evacuation Procedures - surprisingly common considering bomb scares, gas leaks and chemical spills.

Chemcial Awareness - MSDS, work instructions, how to spread the kitty litter if you spill a corrosive cleaner.

Quality Assurance - how audits are conducted, what is looked for during EQUiP, etc.

These are calendered in and everyone must attend.

During the year, I also run minor information sessions to reinforce certain aspects (infectious control and dealing with aggresive behaviour for example).

Add to this the mandatory Department of Health induction sessions and my own Nutrition & Food Services induction before any new starter steps foot into the hospital and I think I have a workable system.

Of course, for those who fail or transgress against food safety policies, OHS&W regulations, or need refresher training as part of some sort of disciplinary procedure, are dealt with as soon as possible and do need to wait for the next training intake.

We also have an 50 inch LCD TV mounted in the main kitchen area and plugged into a media centre on which we run presentations, slides, training reminders, bulletins and videos during non-critical times.

And this is all for the basic training for all staff. I also run more advanced sessions for cooks, team leaders, supervisors, health and safety reps, auditors and managers.

Wow, I just realised how underpaid I am. :blink:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

Hey Sirius, thanks for your input. It really is a full time job. Is it effective?

I especially like your idea.

We also have an 50 inch LCD TV mounted in the main kitchen area and plugged into a media centre on which we run presentations, slides, training reminders, bulletins and videos during non-critical times.

I have seen these at various sites, usually in staff canteens and the information transmitted is only limited by creativity. I think such a tool is very useful for keeping employees in the loop about everything and helps develop a culture of inclusion.

Do you use any particular software for managing the media – delivering the information?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users