Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:09 PM

I work for a juice manufacturer. We are currently researching millipore (filter) plating for our finished product, however we have not had any success with filtering pulpy product. Has anyone come across a methodology that would allow for millipore type plating of pulpy juice products?

Thank you,
Amy

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

Dear Amy,

Welcome to the forum !

Sorry that no responses so far. It is possible that yr query is within very narrow area. i did try googling the topic but the results were somewhat baffling in a technical sense (to me anyway).

Hopefully something may yet turn up.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Betty8

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

Hi Amy. I wish I could help you but in my company we using standard pour plate method for our finished product. We never had problems with micro results but we've tried millipore as well - unfortunately unsuccessful. Can I ask you what's the reason for using millipore ? Why you want to use that method?   

Betty

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

Dear Amy,

I too used to do pour & spread plating techniques for fruit juices. The reason being, 47mm thickness of the filter paper has very small pore size to filter pulpy juices. I used to dilute the fruit juice with sterile peptone water or phosphate buffer. For isolating bacteria pour plate technique and for fungal isolates spread plate is used.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Minnie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 29 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

I work for a juice manufacturer. We are currently researching millipore (filter) plating for our finished product, however we have not had any success with filtering pulpy product. Has anyone come across a methodology that would allow for millipore type plating of pulpy juice products?

Thank you,
Amy

Hi Amy

In the past I have only ever been able to use a pour plate or spread plate method after diluting with sterile buffer solution. We tried the membranes but they just blocked up.

Regards

Minnie

AmyB

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:38 PM

Hi Amy. I wish I could help you but in my company we using standard pour plate method for our finished product. We never had problems with micro results but we've tried millipore as well - unfortunately unsuccessful. Can I ask you what's the reason for using millipore ? Why you want to use that method?

Betty

Our finished product is pasteurized and therefore if there are any surviving organisms they would be few and far between. We would like to be able to filter plate a larger volume to ensure we are picking up any living organisms.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users