• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, Internet, Science, Music, Art

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:32 PM

Ok, just had a Herculean task dropped in my lap, and I'm not sure I'm up to the challange. I was just informed that my bosses want me to train all the other technicians in QA about microbiology.
Now let me put this in context.

Me:
I have a Bio degree and I understand the area of micro pretty well I think, at least in the basics and theory. Everything practical I know, however, was learned on the job at various sites, all of which had different standards and methods.

Them:
These are all union workers who have been here for decades. Many of them don't have more than a high school degree and are old enough to be my parents, if not older. They got their positions in the lab due to seniority, and not because of what they know.
This training is taking place because of a dispute between management and the union. Basically the idea is that if everyone is paid the same, they should all know the same things, even if they never have to do them.

So now I have to figure out a way to train all these people from square one in a short period of time what others go to college for 4 years to learn, and what I have only learned piecemeal over the years. Before I try and start blazing a trail through the information swamp of google and the internet, is anyone aware of any good online resources/training materials I could access to make this go smoother?

Any help is much appreciated.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

Dear Gao Yu Qing,

My first reaction to yr post is "Watch your back ! :smile: " It looks like someone is trying to pass the buck on to you in a big way.

The scope as you write it looks almost insurmountable in a short time frame.

Do you have a budget ??

I suggest you rapidly define yr scope / objectives and hv them approved (if that is relevant, eg are you the top of the responsibility chain already ?? :smile: )

It depends on yr self - evaluated capabilities and the degree of practical knowledge you are required to install but the most practical route IMO would be to locate a short term - course. One obvious advantage is that training certificates prove yr / their effort. Otherwise you will hv to design an appropriate internal scheme to provide the same "insurance".

I cannot see how it is possible to learn practical microbiology on-line. Simplified theoretical basics yes maybe, similar to the level of training courses in hygiene anyway. From memory, I remember seeing some related UK on-line courses discussed in another forum thread here about this (1-2 yrs back) including some examples of their content, eg quiz pictures of petri dishes with colorful pathogens in them. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SaRaRa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 186 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:54 PM

Dear Gao Yu Qing,

Tough task it seems indeed! :P
Well uhm... I suppose you want some general things to teach?
Or maybe you want to explain some "hardcore" stuff like predictive modelling and microbiological analyses?

Here are some books that you might find interesting:

Foodborne Pathogens - Hazard, Risk Analysis and Control (2002)

Detecting Pathogens in Food (2003)

Microbial Stress Adaptation and Food Safety (2003)

Fundamental Food Microbiology (2004)

Good Microbiology Laboratory Practice (2005)

Modern Food Microbiology (2005)

Modelling Microorganisms in Food (2007)

Microbiologically Safe Foods (2009)

Good luck! :)

Filip

Gao Yu Qing

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, Internet, Science, Music, Art

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

Looks like I need to clarify. Got one spot of bright news. Looks like, at least for now, I just need to go through the basic theorys and methods of general micro work: dilutions, aseptic methods, etc. My boss is contacting other labs in our company to see if we can find some training methods and outlines that are already in use.
What I was looking for online, wasn't a training course per say. I was looking for training methods and outlines that I could adapt to my purposes. If one of these other labs are able to come through for me, that should solve the problem. I'm the sole "trainer" in this situation and my boss seems to understand I'll only have a couple of hours to train each of the individuals. I have no budget for books or classes and from what I understand, I'm to train them from what is at hand-meaning my mind and what I'm able to aquire from others or online. Could be "interesting." Least what they are asking for seems to be less daunting than what it originally sounded like. Hopefully it stays that way.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users