Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:10 AM

Hi. Good Afternoon. I have a major problem here seeking for advice.

This company is certified HACCP for 5 years. But got major problem which is they like to extend ingredients shelf life from other supplier by asking guarantee letter from the supplier for shelf life extension.

What do you all think about this phenomena? We as a QA dept already highlight this issue to the management but they still want to use it. Do you this this practice is correct?

Thank you,
Wan.
Food Tech

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

This company is certified HACCP for 5 years. But got major problem which is they like to extend ingredients shelf life from other supplier by asking guarantee letter from the supplier for shelf life extension.

What do you all think about this phenomena? We as a QA dept already highlight this issue to the management but they still want to use it. Do you this this practice is correct?

Thank you,
Wan.
Food Tech

HIGH RISK phenomena and the practice are incorrect.

It depends upon the product and application / usage, and some parts product is used as a blend with fresh ingredients and the manufacturers pack as a fresh and use new production / expiry dates.

The Stability test and shelf life studies is applicable and local municipality rules & regulations applied, (check with your local authority whether they permit to do so)

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

Thank you,
Wan.
Food Tech

I share your frustration as I've posted a similar question in the past. But I also agree with some of the replies from other posters. Depending on different ingredients, the acceptability of exentsion of shelf life differs as well.

Ex.

Salt, sugar, bulking agent, etc
--> these have infinite shelf life despite the expiry date given by suppliers. As long as they are not contaminated in anyway, they should be OK for use.

Herbs, spices, flavorings, etc
--> these ingredients are sensitive to the ambient temperature/light. The parameters to check would be the flavor intensity, color, moisture/volatile content, etc. If they are all well within the QC acceptable range and are kept at low temperatures, away from sunlight, they should be OK for use, even after 6-12 months.

Management will always want to extend shelf life to prevent having to spend more money to purchase new raw materials and dispose old lots. But if QC can prove that the material still can be use, then there is no reason to dispose the old lots. A request to the supplier to provide shelf life extension is also good as the supplier knows their products best.

Anyway, this is just my opinon. Hope to see what others think.

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

Any other comments on this from forum members?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Ratchet

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

Any other comments on this from forum members?

From a practical standpoint, suppliers are reluctant to give a shelf life other than a standardized one, ie: 12 months for spices due to loss of volatiles, when in reality, the product may be safe for use beyond the date. Also, once the raw material is shipped, it is out of control of the supplier, so storage and handling at the recipients end may affect the standardized and ultimate shelflife!
Jim in SC, USA

redchariot

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

We also have this problem (more than I would care to admit); again as other posters have stated, it all depends on the type of ingredient.

For example if is an ingredient with a long shelf-life e.g. dry ingredients, you should have no issues with looking for an extension from the supplier and I have found many suppliers are willing to do this but they do state that you should do a quality check before use in case the flavour etc is lost.

In the case of ingredients with short shelf-lives e.g. dairy, the supplier won't entertain an extension. In the rare occasion that we are forced to use such ingredients we would do taste/odour/visual checks and if satisfactory, let it be used, take a sample and test for micro and quarantine the product (which is also tested) and if the results come back satisfatory then the product is released.

However, I have found that customers take a dim view of extensions and it is something we are trying to erradicate

WCOULOMBE

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 June 2022 - 05:40 PM

I have just had a request from customer to get a shelf-life extension for inulin the customer is claiming to be ours.  The information sent does not match our lot numbers or format of our lot numbers.  

Is it common to grant shelf-life extensions on product sold to customers?  I have never been asked this by a customer before.  I do not want to grant extension on a product I do not know if it ours.  

Is there a protocol for this kind of request?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 July 2022 - 01:20 PM

I have just had a request from customer to get a shelf-life extension for inulin the customer is claiming to be ours.  The information sent does not match our lot numbers or format of our lot numbers.  

Is it common to grant shelf-life extensions on product sold to customers?  I have never been asked this by a customer before.  I do not want to grant extension on a product I do not know if it ours.  

Is there a protocol for this kind of request?

Hi WC,

As per surrounding (and further linked eg post 3) posts "protocols" vary. Local legality is presumably the first hurdle.  Customer leverage (?) maybe also relevant.

Personally I would initially be tempted to simply inform your customer (presumably validated as such) what you have reported in yr OP.

Then await developments.

I noticed you have previously had internal quality problems with this product which suggests to be careful as to any further commitments. (ie -

https://www.ifsqn.co...se/#entry162757

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users