• Quick Navigation
Photo

Pork – A real food safety issue for humanity.

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:55 AM

Pork – A real food safety issue for humanity.

I am presenting these abstracts with a “fear of peak resistance”. Only one thing encourages me to overcome that fear – the pure intention to save human beings from a great health issue. I am presenting these pieces of information not with the intention to proof any religious believe or condemn any cultural behavior or hit any life-style. My whole intention is to point out what experts are saying about what the world is eating blindly.

Pork (meat from the domestic pig) is dangerous to health. A great care is recommended by experts before its consumption. Then why one eat a food full of risk where other sources are available that are less risky. Some may argue that the relevant adverse health cases are very rare . Let’s accept for a while but they can not deny the fact that all those cases are not forged. Most are properly investigated and the culprit was only one – pork itself. Some may argue that these pieces of information are not correct or not based on scientific evidences. Let’s accept this also for a while but we can not resist to accept this logic that whether we should eat an item which is doubtful instead of those many other which are doubtless and proven as safe and healthy by scientists and professionals.

So please give a mercy on your health and adopt healthy, pure, hygienic and safe life-style. Eat what is good. Not what is risky. Eat what is good for both health and taste . Not what is good only for taste.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pigs can harbour a range of parasites and diseases that can be transmitted to humans. These include trichinosis, Taenia solium, cysticercosis, and brucellosis. Pigs are also known to host large concentrations of parasitic ascarid worms in their digestive tract.( http://www.thepigsite.com/pighealth/)

The presence of these diseases and parasites is one reason pork meat should always be well cooked or cured before eating.

Pigs are susceptible to bronchitis and pneumonia. They have small lungs in relation to body size; for this reason, bronchitis or pneumonia can kill a pig quickly. (http://www.pigs.org/...sp?article_id=3)

There is concern that pigs may allow animal viruses such as influenza or Ebola Reston to infect humans more easily. Some strains of influenza are endemic in pigs (see Swine influenza), and pigs also can acquire human influenza.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reference: http://en.allexperts.../Pork-haram.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. E. Kazim. M.D. in his article "Medical aspects of forbidden foods in Islam" (July 1981 issue of Muslim Journal has described diseases carried or caused by the flesh of the swine.

He writes:
The pig is a scavenger. It is an omnivorous animal. It eats everything. There are many diseases carried from swine to man, particularly parasite infestations. Lately extensive research has been focused on senility-old age is characterized by hardening of inner lining of the blood vessels of the heart, brain etc. a process called atheroselerosis. When a clot forms, it results in coronary thrombosis or a heart attack, cerebral thrombosis or stroke.

Different dietary factors are responsible for atheroselerosis. Gross atheroma may be produced in rabbit by feeding it with cholesterol, but when you add lard (derived from hog fat) to the cholesterol, the incidence of atheroma is increased and thus you would produce coronary thrombosis, and myocardial infraction.

Besides, lard contains 2800 units of vitamin D per 100 grams and no vitamin A at all. Lately vitamin D has been held responsible for atheroma, by causing increased absorption of calcium in the blood vessels. In human beings, serum cholesterol is not dependent on the intake of cholesterol in the diet, but depends upon the proportion of animal fats in the diet, which elevates the beta-lipo protein level in the blood. Animal fats contain saturated fatty acids and these saturated fatty acids have been found to be as one of the causes of atheroma in man. Medium fat bacon contains 25% proteins and 55% fat.

According to medical research, the fat content in pork is more than any other meat (beef, mutton etc.) and it takes longer to digest. Dr. M Jaffer in an article in the Islamic Review (London) of January 1997 issue has listed 16 kinds of harmful germs, which have been discovered in pork in modern researches and the diseases, which could be caused by them. The number of patients suffering from tapeworm disease is the highest in the world among pork eating nations. Other diseases attributed to pigs are caused by tri-chinelia spirates and intestinal worms occupy first place among such nations too.

Dr. Glen Shepherd wrote the following on the dangers of eating pork in Washington Post (31 May 1952).

"One in six people in USA and Canada have germs in their muscles - trichinosis 8 from eating pork infected with trichina worms. Many people who are infected shows no symptoms. Most of those, who do have, recover slowly. Some die; some are reduced to permanent invalids. All were careless pork caters".

He continued "No one is immune from the disease and there is no cure. Neither antibiotics nor drugs or vaccines affect these tiny deadly worms. Preventing infection is the real answer."

After reading the statement of Dr. Shepherd, one can realize that there is no real guarantee of safety when eating pork that one would not be affected by trichina worm. That is why modern doctors advise three prohibitions during illness: no liquor, no pork and no smoking.

Many things acquire bacteria by poor handling and some thing are by nature impure and bacteria prone- like scavengers.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

Dear Zeeshan,

It is an interesting point of view.

No intention of side-tracking yr detailed hypotheses but may I respectfully suggest an alternative, less scientific support for yr conclusion:

I do believe that anyone who has ever driven behind an open truck watching pigs destined for the slaughterhouse, jammed so tight that they cannot move, will never lose that memory as he/she eats the subsequent derivatives. The ideal solution is obvious and generalisable.

Only my personal viewpoint.

Best Regards / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

HI Zeeshan,

Thanks for sharing the information. But the way I see it, there are always some kind of disease associated with all meats, which are just as deadly. e.g. Cow=BSE, Fish=Mercury, Chicken=Bird Flu. Not only pigs.

Proper cooking and moderate eating of meat in general is still the best way to keep yourself strong and healthy.

Your last quote from Washington Post seems way too outdated (1952??). I believe people are more educated in terms of food safety nowadays to prevent getting food poisoning/diseases. Similarly, sanitary/hygiene issues has also improved alot since 1952 in pig farms and slaughterhouses.

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for sharing the information. But the way I see it, there are always some kind of disease associated with all meats, which are just as deadly. e.g. Cow=BSE, Fish=Mercury, Chicken=Bird Flu. Not only pigs. Proper cooking and moderate eating of meat in general is still the best way to keep yourself strong and healthy.

You captured my opinion perfectly Hongyun - thanks.

I had pork sausages last night and they were absolutely delicious. I eat pork about once every two weeks, I eat lamb about once every two weeks, beef once a week, fish once a week and chicken maybe three times a week. I buy all of my meat from a local butcher. I prefer to pay a little bit more for quality, locally produced, free range meats rather than shop at the supermarket. I store and cook meat properly.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

Dear Hongyun,

Similarly, sanitary/hygiene issues has also improved alot since 1952 in pig farms and slaughterhouses.

I'm afraid that it is still highly dependent on where you are. It's somewhat OT but do you remember the Bird-Flu Event ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:33 AM

sigh... I guess you are right... Let's hope people will wisen up after all these unfortunate events and learn to take care of these animals that will eventually become food for many, rather than overpopulate the farm and feeding them with cheap/substitute feeds for profit...

Dear Hongyun,

I'm afraid that it is still highly dependent on where you are. It's somewhat OT but do you remember the Bird-Flu Event ?

Rgds / Charles.C

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for participating in discussion.

I extremely do respect all the view points.

But I still want to emphasize the last statement of my piece of information. "Many things acquire bacteria/microorganism by poor handling and some thing are by nature impure and pathogens prone- like scavengers.". It is our general observation that in many cases a chain smoker live more than that of a non-smoker. The bad effects of bad things depends on the many factors. Sometime the bad effects are not revealed for many years. I believe one day someone will prove that eating scavenger is not good for health.

Also, as Charles said sanitary and hygiene issues are highly dependent on where you are and from where you have bought an item and also on your food preparation practices. Have you ever imagine the difference of same practices followed for high risk food and relatively low risk food?

However, I also believe that eating something is totally a choice of an individual. As we can not stop smoking and drinking alcohol although many of us know the bad effects of smoking and having alcohol. (Hope I have not started a new battle :unsure:).

Regards:
M.Zeeshan.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,893 posts
  • 729 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:46 AM

Chickens eat all kinds of stuff too. Very good at getting rid of slugs I believe. On the diseases endemic with certain animals, surely for chicken you could add Salmonellae and Campylobacter jejuni?

Eating any meat has always been a risk but it is also the best source of amino acids there is which is why people are omnivores naturally.

It is an interesting concept though and one I've often thought about; some religious food laws I personally believe had their basis in completely sensible food safety, for example, shellfish being non kosher was probably a very good idea at the time.

Personally I couldn't do without some pig. Some of my favourite foods are piggy like bacon, sausages, belly pork, haggis, iberico ham, chorizo... But then I also eat lots of shellfish, rare steak, blue and soft rinded cheeses, cured meats etc. Maybe I just like living on the edge!

teabag

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Nigeria
    Nigeria

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

I believe that eating any type of meat should be left to the individual but proper care should be taken to ensure that it's well cooked before eaten. Also proper safety precautions should be observed by people in charge.

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

I think the biggest pork concern at the moment is hep. E?

My link

Good news is that a liberal application of heat(as usual) solves the problem!

I have noticed a trend with some of the 'top chefs' to try to convert people to rare pork- not sure why though- I've only eaten rare pork once(accidentally!!)- and of more concern than the safety issues(to me) was the fact that that it tasted h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e!

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,893 posts
  • 729 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

I think the biggest pork concern at the moment is hep. E?

My link

Good news is that a liberal application of heat(as usual) solves the problem!

I have noticed a trend with some of the 'top chefs' to try to convert people to rare pork- not sure why though- I've only eaten rare pork once(accidentally!!)- and of more concern than the safety issues(to me) was the fact that that it tasted h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e!

Mike

Yep, not sure what that is about. I'd rather have a well cooked piece of fatty belly any day mind :thumbup:

I can't help it, I dig on swine.

Dunde

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

There is no actual problem eating pork which has not been cooked. Smoking and/or salt can do the trick as well. There are many cold smoked products/salted products which contain solely or partly pork.
All meat is a potential hazard when it comes to human consumption, pork is nor worse nor better.

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

Dear All :

I have took a course when I was studied at the university as food techology , the course name is meat processing , that there is a parasite specially and commonly found in pork ( Trichinella) it is heat resistance and it can stay inside the joint while cooking like spiral , and after consuming the meat can cause spiralis Trichinella, ans cause an illeness to the human being. and you go to read through this link

http://en.wikipedia....inella_spiralis
Thanks & Regards

Hygienic

Edited by hygienic, 15 January 2011 - 09:03 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

If I put a topic up "Beef – A real food safety issue for humanity", "Chicken – A real food safety issue for humanity", "Lamb – A real food safety issue for humanity" could we have a similar discussion on the inherent risks or dangers of eating it?

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

If I put a topic up "Beef – A real food safety issue for humanity", "Chicken – A real food safety issue for humanity", "Lamb – A real food safety issue for humanity" could we have a similar discussion on the inherent risks or dangers of eating it?

Dear Simon,

IMHO, NO.

As I've stated in my initial post, it is a sensitive issue. Many members might be thinking that I have started this topic because for Muslim community, pork is haram (unlawful/forbidden) to eat and I am justifying and promoting this religious concept. FORTUNATELY THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The intention of posting this issue is to invoke a need to re-think our eating habits as definitely it is a matter of concern of all human beings. The first golden rule for eating is "Leave all those things which MAY be dangerous to heath, not necessarily scientifically proven". The second golden rule for eating is "Prefer low risk choice where you have to choose among two: High-risk-superb-taste and Low-risk-less-superb-taste"

Health is of primary concern and it could not be compromised with taste. Life is a valuable thing. You might not get another chance to correct yourself.

I've just posted this information here to raise a "neutral" voice to think and research what we are eating blindly. I have highlighted in my previous post that inherent risk or dangers of eating pork is not the same as inherent risk of eating beef, chicken, lamb and other food items. On the basis of pure scientific reasoning, it is a matter of adopting a low risk instead of high risk. Of-course any person can go with any choice of his/her desire as you can not stop a smoker by presenting in front of him the scientific proof that smoking is injurious to health.

Regards!
M.Zeeshan

Edited by Zeeshan, 29 January 2011 - 09:53 AM.

Jomy Abraham

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 40 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

Control measures are the only issues in this regard. In order to elimnate pathogenic organisms, even from a bird flu affected poultry product, its necessary to heat the product to above 80 Deg C and we should ensure that the temperature is reached even at the joint parts of products anatomical structures. Other control measure requirement is based on individual health assesments. If the individual have high cholestrol in the blood, its always better to avoid such meat products. What do you think about the Tribal Canibels who ate human beigns....Its all about traditions, culture, immunity, health and individuals. So its better to think about control measure to eliminate the risk when you ate such products.. ..Enjoy the day with your tradition!!!!

Regards
Jomy Abraham

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

I stopped smoking as it's very injurious and now at 44 I try to eat a balanced diet, although I have a sweet tooth. If I eat fresh food, store and cook it correctly I believe I should be ok. Not based on science.

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

While you may have some valid points, and CAFO style pork producers with acres of toxic lagoons of pig waste are nightmares, you will get my bacon, ham, ribs from me when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users