• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

Dear All:

Nearly this year(2010) finished, we require to make a graphic shows up the number of customer complaints during this year , shall I have to demonstrate on the graphic complaints relate to food safety , relate to the raw material or relate to the supplier , etc... or what? or Shall I have to put the months and point out how are the complaints decrease gradually. Coud you help me on this matter ? How can I make such as this chart?

Regards
Hygienic

Edited by hygienic, 18 November 2010 - 08:35 PM.

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

Graphs are good for getting your point across easily. It would also help if you included information like the amount spent addressing customer complaints last year compared to this year, so that management can see how beneficial having a quality system is.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

I reckon think of your audience. If your average operator is an ex engineer and has a decent level of education; fair enough. If they all failed O Level / GCSE maths and struggle with simple concepts, genuinely a graph might just confuse people. There is a lot to be said for very simple methods of presenting information e.g. smiley / sad faces.

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:03 PM

Dear All:

Nearly this year(2010) finished, we require to make a graphic shows up the number of customer complaints during this year , shall I have to demonstrate on the graphic complaints relate to food safety , relate to the raw material or relate to the supplier , etc... or what? or Shall I have to put the months and point out how are the complaints decrease gradually. Coud you help me on this matter ? How can I make such as this chart?

Regards
Hygienic

Hi - i think the benefit of a graph is that you can manipulate the axes to pretty much show the info in any light you want you want!-ideal iof you want to get a particular point over!:whistle: (complaints wise I would personally much rather see numbers than graphs)

In the good old days i used to use letraset, a4 paper and the wrong end of a pencil!-which meant that you could miss out any datapoint that did not sit where it needed to(i can still hear my boss saying 'line of best fit Mike,line of best fit!')

Nowadays i just chuck the data into excel and use the chart function!- pie charts are great to show what proportions of complaints came from what source etc- relative costs of various types of complaints, complaints by department etc

Regards

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

And the good old pareto principle says that 80% of a problem is caused by 20% of the causes, this allows you to focus your attention on the vital few before the slightly less vital many. That said frequency of a problem does not always direct one to the most urgent area for improvement; cost and customer pressure often trump pareto. You can do the parteo on cost if you want.

Why don't you post the data and we can do some example graphs for you. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:54 AM

Dear All :

Thanks for sharing and for the inputs,but simon , can you explain me what do you mean by this 80% of problem caused by 20% of causes.
Actually our normal customer complaints prosedure is once received the complaint see the rout causes and what is the prevent action & the corrective action .
By analysis the problem you can give the route causes, I have looked to the complaints received this year , mostly during the current year 5 complaints have been
received by the customer foreign bodies found , normally hair, 3 complaints related to food testing (smelling or spoilage), 2 related to the weight .
like this how to make a graph shows up all these things ?

Regards

Hygienic

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

Dear All :

Thanks for sharing and for the inputs,but simon , can you explain me what do you mean by this 80% of problem caused by 20% of causes.
Actually our normal customer complaints prosedure is once received the complaint see the rout causes and what is the prevent action & the corrective action .
By analysis the problem you can give the route causes, I have looked to the complaints received this year , mostly during the current year 5 complaints have been
received by the customer foreign bodies found , normally hair, 3 complaints related to food testing (smelling or spoilage), 2 related to the weight .
like this how to make a graph shows up all these things ?

Regards

Hygienic

Hi Hygenic

Mr Pareto was an Italian economist who discovered that 80% of the wealth in Italy was held by only 20% of the population-then it started to become obvious that the 80/20 rule applied to all sorts of situations- like 80% of the absences at work will (roughly)by 20% of the staff- and 80% of your complaints will come from 20% of your customers etc etc

I have attached a very quick (and crude) spreadsheet/ pie chart as an example of how complaints can be displayed-you can make them much nicer though!!

Regards

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

Hi Hygenic

Mr Pareto was an Italian economist who discovered that 80% of the wealth in Italy was held by only 20% of the population-then it started to become obvious that the 80/20 rule applied to all sorts of situations- like 80% of the absences at work will (roughly)by 20% of the staff- and 80% of your complaints will come from 20% of your customers etc etc

I have attached a very quick (and crude) spreadsheet/ pie chart as an example of how complaints can be displayed-you can make them much nicer though!!

Regards

Mike

Many thanks Mike for the your explanation , it was absent in my intellect , but nothing attached .

Regards

Hygienic

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

Many thanks Mike for the your explanation , it was absent in my intellect , but nothing attached .

Regards

Hygienic

sorry about the lack of attachment!!-apparently " I am not permitted to upload excel files!!"

If you send me an email address I will email it to you!

regards

Mike

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

sorry about the lack of attachment!!-apparently " I am not permitted to upload excel files!!"

If you send me an email address I will email it to you!

regards

Mike

I think it was because the forums software was not updated to accept the latest versions of Microsoft Office documents. I have set up xlsx, pptx and docx as allowed file extensions. Can you please try again Mike. I would but don't have the latest versions. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

Ah yes; pareto. Very, very useful. Things don't always fall into a neat 80/20 pattern but it is surprising how often a rough 80/20 or 70/30 crops up. I once had an issue with micro out of specs that when I isolated the products which had micro failures of over 50%, I found 80% of them contained a similar ingredient. Definitely a very useful tool when investigating complaint trends.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:16 AM

Coud you help me on this matter ? How can I make such as this chart?

You can use Excel to generate something like this:

Attached File  Annual Complaints Analyser Template 2.pdf   581.92KB   283 downloads

or this:

Attached File  Annual Complaints Analyser Template.pdf   300.36KB   209 downloads

Edited by Tony-C, 22 December 2010 - 06:18 AM.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Sifiela@2806

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

Dear Tony

Will you kindly send me a copy of your customer complaint analysis template.

Edited by Simon, 14 October 2015 - 07:07 PM.
Removed email

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users