• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it safe to use Marker Pen on foil food wrapping?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic
- - - - -

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

Dear All:

We are producing a chilled meals to the market, like pizza or chicken fajita , but these type of meals should be reheated inside the oven , for that we wrap the meals by Aluminum Foil , and we write the name of the meal by using normal typ of marker , because the label can not be stable during reheating in the oven , but marker ok, the problem is we dont know if the marker is safe to use in the food establishments or there are some approved markers only can be used? please advise .

Regards
Hygienic

beantester

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

We use metal detector marker pens, so I they were to get into the product the metal detector/x ray machines pick it up, they also work in ferrous metal detectors.

Here is a link to the type we use, but if you search on t'internet for metal detectable marker pens, there are several options:

http://www.detectame...s-cryo-pens.htm

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

We use metal detector marker pens, so I they were to get into the product the metal detector/x ray machines pick it up, they also work in ferrous metal detectors.

Here is a link to the type we use, but if you search on t'internet for metal detectable marker pens, there are several options:

http://www.detectame...s-cryo-pens.htm

Dear beantester:

Thanks for the interested link , but I am not sure , can I write on the aliminium foil or not? Is it readable ?

Regards

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,845 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

From what you say the marker pen is used on the outside of the foil and the food is fully wrapped; in that case it is impossible for the ink or chemicals from the marker pen to migrate through the foil to the food as foil provides a 100% barrier. Have you tested it? At what temperature? Does it stay on / burn off? Rub off on hands?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:21 AM

From what you say the marker pen is used on the outside of the foil and the food is fully wrapped; in that case it is impossible for the ink or chemicals from the marker pen to migrate through the foil to the food as foil provides a 100% barrier. Have you tested it? At what temperature? Does it stay on / burn off? Rub off on hands?

We tested on the chilled -cooked food ,by writting on the foil pre reheating , its ok, but post reheating can not be estable while exposure to the high temperature , so some words removed and thename of the food becomes unclear and unreadable , what I think , is there a special lables or stickers can be heat resistance ? maybe can be better than writing direct on the foil .

Regards
Hygienic

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

Dear hygienic,

What temperature is involved ? > 100degC ??

There are surely (commercial) products available for yr requirement. I have just microwaved a plastic food meal tray to (internal) liquid boiling point. Has a paper/plastic coated outer label / ink-jet looking production date.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Rizwan Ahmed

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

i beilieve as far the ink does not penetrate the wrap its safe to be used, unless if it is rubbed off by hands. then it might cause contamination to other foods or utensils from ur hands.

regards.

rizwan.

saguym

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel
  • Interests:Fountain Pens, Music, Traveling

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

Foil generally is not a good choice especially if you heat the food product in contact with the foil, due to a possible reaction between the food and the plain aluminum.
Moreover normally the foil thickness being in the range of 14-15 microns is not free of pores (see attached article for instance for holes allowed in Aluminum foils), and penetration of ink and solvents is certainly a possibility that you should be taken into account.
There are certainly better solutions, however possibly more expensive.

Saguym

saguym

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Israel
    Israel
  • Interests:Fountain Pens, Music, Traveling

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

Foil generally is not a good choice especially if you heat the food product in contact with the foil, due to a possible reaction between the food and the plain aluminum.
Moreover normally the foil thickness being in the range of 14-15 microns is not free of pores (see attached article for instance for holes allowed in Aluminum foils), and penetration of ink and solvents is certainly a possibility that you should be taken into account.
There are certainly better solutions, however possibly more expensive.

Saguym

Attached Files

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

Foil generally is not a good choice especially if you heat the food product in contact with the foil, due to a possible reaction between the food and the plain aluminum. Moreover normally the foil thickness being in the range of 14-15 microns is not free of pores (see attached article for instance for holes allowed in Aluminum foils), and penetration of ink and solvents is certainly a possibility that you should be taken into account. There are certainly better solutions, however possibly more expensive. Saguym

I think the aluminium foil is approved by the Authorities, and still no studies proved that the foil can react with the food or can be a toxin. it is using commercially in many companies , because no alternative wrapping items can be used and keep the food in a suitable conditions such as the aluminium foil .

Regards
Hygienic

Edited by hygienic, 11 February 2011 - 07:12 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

Dear hygienic,

still no studies proved that if the foil can react with the food or can be a toxin.

??

Really ? Are you referring to yr local Al foil / authorities or in general ? If the latter, I doubt you are correct after all these years of usage but it's not my area.

Any more opinions ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

Dear hygienic,

??

Really ? Are you referring to yr local Al foil / authorities or in general ? If the latter, I doubt you are correct after all these years of usage but it's not my area.

Any more opinions ?

Rgds / Charles.C

In general , see this link , about the aluminium in food .
http://www.eatwell.g...sues/aluminium/

Regards
Hygienic

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:37 PM

Dear hygiene,

Thks for the interesting link.

It says a lot and the corrosive aspects unquestionably exist but seems to end up by concluding nothing. Agree ?

Meanwhile the Tv dinner business in Al trays rolls on.

Let's pray it won't be like asbestos. :banned:

Rgds / charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:07 AM

Check this website. This pen was recently certified by NSF non-food R1. Kinda pricey, but may do the trick...

http://dymon.com/dym...hp?product=1260

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:31 AM

Dear KTD,

Good find. :thumbup:

There appears to be some confusion over the precise definition of “R1”.

Eg here - http://www.nsf.org/b...m=NonFoodComReg

it is - Coatings for use on direct food contact surfaces
(my underlines)
whereas in the cumulated product status book it is - Coatings for use on incidental food contact surfaces

Attached File  whitebook.pdf   1.19MB   6 downloads (last page)

The whole subject of categorizing the safety of packaging coatings is obviously a mine field –

http://www.foodsafet...d=3167&sub=sub1

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:55 AM

try http://dymon.com/dym...hp?product=1260 for a NSF certified category R1 marking pen

[sorry - duplicate posting...KTD]

Edited by KTD, 15 February 2011 - 03:03 AM.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users