• Quick Navigation
Photo

Why petri dishes should be placed upside down in the incubator?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

Hi every one :

debate;

Technically and practically , in Food Microbiological testing , especially samples incubation step , the petri dishes should be placed inside the incubator in upside dowen , so do you know , why it shoul incubate in this situation , not normal ? what is the advantage if it is upside dowen ?

Thanks & Regards
Hygienic

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

Hi every one :

debate;

Technically and practically , in Food Microbiological testing , especially samples incubation step , the petri dishes should be placed inside the incubator in upside dowen , so do you know , why it shoul incubate in this situation , not normal ? what is the advantage if it is upside dowen ?

Thanks & Regards
Hygienic

If I remembered my texts correctly, I think it is to prevent the condensation from dripping onto the medium and contaminating it.

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

DAVE84

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

Yes hongyun.
You are totally correct. That is the one and only reason for keeping petri plates inverted.

Dave

raffay

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:49 AM

i agreed with dave that petri plates are placed upside down in ordor to avoid the absorption of moisture (resulted due to condensation) if it is not done colonies may not be distinct and clear.
regard
raffay

Yes hongyun.
You are totally correct. That is the one and only reason for keeping petri plates inverted.

Dave

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users