• Quick Navigation
Photo

UK Labelling Legislation - Where do I start?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

I have to admit to a bit of a black hole on labelling legislation and as I'm soon to be joining a small company, the Technical expertise might just stop with me. So, I need to improve...

I also thought that this is probably a bit of a black hole for lots of us. I'm ok on weight legislation, HACCP and general food safety but it's difficult to look through the legislation and pick out the things you need and convert them into language I can understand (which is sad considering I have a PhD).

Anyhoo... I thought I'd start this thread with a couple of questions I've been pondering to see if our combined expertise can answer them. Perhaps other people can add to this thread if they think of things that are gaps in their knowledge regarding labelling.

So.

On QUID, why are certain ingredients picked out for the quantitative declaration? Is it the ingredients in the "name" of the food? Are there any guidelines?

Nutritional information displayed on pack. Does this have to be on experimental results? Actually, I know it doesn't. Having worked in cheese, I was shocked that standardised values were used, (apparently legally). What other exceptions are there? What is the rule? I'm thinking nutritional is pretty pricey so I want to get a gauge on what is really needed.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

BUMP for GMO.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

Hi GMO

I've dug out a food labelling course I did....

Quantitative Ingredient Declarations (QUID) - cases where QUID is required:

1.Where the ingredient or category of ingredients concerned APPEARS IN THE NAME under which the food stuff is sold or is usually associated with that name by the consumer

eg Strawberries in "strawberry yogurt"
Vegetables in "vegetable quiche"
Minced beef in "chili con carne"
Steak and kidney in "staek and kidney pie"

2. Where the ingredient or category of ingredients concerned is EMPHASISED on the labelling in words, pictures or graphics

eg Different size, colour or font of text
Selective ingredient pictures/declarations
Symbols (eg butter churns/dairy cream logo

Hope this helps
Rosie

Thanked by 1 Member:

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

Food labelling is an enormous subject which keeps lawyers in the style of life to which I would love to become accustomed!

This is the FSA's General Guidance Document.

I don't know which food sector you are moving into but there are also specific Guidance Notes for different areas most of which can be downloaded from the FSA website:

http://www.food.gov....elregsguidance/

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:20 PM