• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are your views on Food Irradiation?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

In light of what has transpired in Japan, what are people's views on the use of Food Irraditaion especially in countries where it is utilised? It will be interesting to see what members have to say on this topical issue.

Regards

Ajay
:unsure:

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

I personally feel that irradiation is the safest method of treating food for elimination of microbiological organisms and insect infestation, at least in my industry which consists primarily of dried spices and herbs. I've seen numerous cases of recalls of various spices and herbs that have been ethylene oxide and steam treated, but none where the products were irradiated. My employer has recently changed our policy to only allow purchase of irradiated spices (and some herbs).

I do absolutely fear that the current nuclear crisis in Japan will be a setback to the food irradiation method simply due the fact that the average consumer who doesn't have the background to understand these issues will link radioactivity that's associated with irradiated food with the radioactivity associated with the reactor crisis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

Hi Esquef I totally agree with what you have stated. It will be good to see responses from any other members on this topic.

Dr Ajay Shah.,
www.aasfood.com

Hillsie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:13 AM

Hi esquef and Dr Shah.

Before I was a university student I was against irradiation of food for any reason. After making a detailed study our class all agreed that irradiation definitely has a role to play in keeping food safe. No residual radiation remains in the product so it would be highly unlikely that it could cause any harm to any plants or animals.

Studies overseas spoke about irradiated meat smelling like a wet dog so it would be unwise to use it with where the organoleptic properties of the product may be adversely affected.

Herbs and spices are excellent candidates for irradiation.

What do others think?

Hi Esquef I totally agree with what you have stated. It will be good to see responses from any other members on this topic.

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:37 AM

It is beyond me why we have not been able to progress past some of the irrational concepts we have towards irradition. Especially in the US, the public is more than willing to sue companies out of existence for even imagined faults, but absolutely unwilling to consider actions that potentially save thousands of lives with negligible increase in risk.

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

In light of what has transpired in Japan, what are people's views on the use of Food Irraditaion especially in countries where it is utilised? It will be interesting to see what members have to say on this topical issue.

Regards

Ajay
:unsure:

The problem with people is that once they accept food-radiation as safe, they no longer care that it sterilizes the seeds so they can't be used by farmers.

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

Dear All;

The latest test results of radiation levels for food from Japan .

http://www.cfs.gov.h..._17_03_2011.pdf

Regards
Hygienic

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Can anyone provide an overview of food irradiation, its history, applications, how it works and where and when it is used? I think it will be helpful to have some background information on the topic.

Thanks,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

I’m curious if radiation can kill any microbiological hazards (bacteria, parasites, etc) that are present on the food and cause it to spoil.

Any thoughts?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

I uncovered the article below posted on our website back in 2007, it provides and overview, but not sure of it's relevance today.

How Food Irradiation can reduce Food-Borne Illness

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

Food irradiation is a process whereby the food is exposed to high levels of radiation in order to kill insects, bacteria and mold, and make the food last longer on the store shelves. Although the idea of radiating food sounds quite unappetizing to most people, it has been practiced in the USA since the 1960's, when the Food & Drug Administration approved the irradiation of wheat and white potatoes. During the 1980s, the FDA approved petitions for irradiation of spices and seasonings, pork, fresh fruits, and dry or dehydrated substances. Poultry received approval in 1990. The FDA approved irradiation for red meat in 1997.

http://www.healthalt...ply-report.html

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

I was actually reading about Food Irradiation on the Food Standards Agency website and hope this will be of interset to some:

http://www.food.gov....od/irradfoodqa/

Regards

Ajay

:smarty:

Dr Ajay Shah.,
www.aasfood.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

D-D

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 239 posts
  • 55 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

It is beyond me why we have not been able to progress past some of the irrational concepts we have towards irradition. Especially in the US, the public is more than willing to sue companies out of existence for even imagined faults, but absolutely unwilling to consider actions that potentially save thousands of lives with negligible increase in risk.

Here is another example: Anyone ever had a MRI scan at the hospital? MRI = Magnetic Resonance Imaging. It uses the same concept as NMR spectroscopy for analysing protons, carbon (13) and other elements in organic compounds. NMR = Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. When it was developed for use as a medical diagnostic (at the height of the cold war...), they had to ditch "Nuclear" from the name to save panicking the patients...!

Becky

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

I personally feel that irradiation is the safest method of treating food for elimination of microbiological organisms and insect infestation, at least in my industry which consists primarily of dried spices and herbs. I've seen numerous cases of recalls of various spices and herbs that have been ethylene oxide and steam treated, but none where the products were irradiated. My employer has recently changed our policy to only allow purchase of irradiated spices (and some herbs).

I do absolutely fear that the current nuclear crisis in Japan will be a setback to the food irradiation method simply due the fact that the average consumer who doesn't have the background to understand these issues will link radioactivity that's associated with irradiated food with the radioactivity associated with the reactor crisis.

I totaly agree with your statement, So what I see is a challenge for all of us who work in the food industry to find ways to educate our consumers and public in general, ir order to avoid a negative response to radiation treatment.

What do yo think???

Jens Therkelsen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

For further insight on this topic please follow this link.: http://www.foodprodu...letter%2BWeekly

Regards

Jens

williams22

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the replies guys ! got some valuable points in my mind trough your comments which i have never known ! Posted Image

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users