• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

Does anybody use iCix? http://www.icix.com/index.html

We were recently requested to sign up to iCiX services so that an audit report could be uploaded and then we could submit our CA in the system.

I was wondering if anyone else uses it and what value they get from it. Am I missing a marketing vaue? For the cost there has to be some other value than uploading reports and CA's! There appears to be a recall function but that is what the FDA registry does so I don't see a value. I uploaded copies of my certifications (ISO, FSSC) but I am not sure who is going to see them if anyone?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

Never heard of it myself TSmith. Did a customer(s) ask you to sign up or did you make the decision yourself, if so on what basis?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

AKV

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

I am familar with it. I think if you are the customer it is probably really handy because all your suppliers information can be easily accessed as needed. I speculate that as a supplier it is nice if you have numerous or maybe even a majority of your customers requiring it because it is only one time you send/submit your documentation.

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

Never heard of it myself TSmith. Did a customer(s) ask you to sign up or did you make the decision yourself, if so on what basis?

Customer requirement. I am not sure if we would have signed up on our own without finding some other benefit to it.

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

I am familar with it. I think if you are the customer it is probably really handy because all your suppliers information can be easily accessed as needed. I speculate that as a supplier it is nice if you have numerous or maybe even a majority of your customers requiring it because it is only one time you send/submit your documentation.

I think there could be some value if more people were using it but having only one customer that wants it, it does not seem like much of a value. We have several larger customers that have private networks set up that we can get product specification and customer requirements so I don't think they would look at this as a benefit.

You can do a lot of the same things with a Sharepoint network or even a lot of Quality Management systems but then you need to have the resources to manage it.

It claims to bring suppliers and customers together but I have not found the area where you can find a supplier or advertise yourself.

Carolina

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:09 PM

My company uses it. All our suppliers were requested to register and post the documents. It has been an efficient way to manage our suppliers documentation. We opted to use the iCiX Compliance Matrix tool, after you post the documents ICIX gives you a compliance percentage. We are looking for suppliers with high compliance percentages. It is a good start for a supplier validation program.

We were recently requested to sign up to iCiX services so that an audit report could be uploaded and then we could submit our CA in the system.

I was wondering if anyone else uses it and what value they get from it. Am I missing a marketing vaue? For the cost there has to be some other value than uploading reports and CA's! There appears to be a recall function but that is what the FDA registry does so I don't see a value. I uploaded copies of my certifications (ISO, FSSC) but I am not sure who is going to see them if anyone?

Thanked by 1 Member:

Antores

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 63 thanks
Good

• Colombia
    Colombia
  • Interests:Photograpy

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

iCiX is a web-based compliance tool that has been used or some industries around the world, but is becoming very common u the US since some of the major retailers such as Wal-Mart starting using it. I do have myself about 25 sites registered in iCiX and I can tell you this:

If you are the retailer, or distributor that have numerous suppliers, this has tremendous value, since all your vendors will have to load themselves any documents required by your company (instead of e-mailing/faxing) and there are also reports that will let you know who is in compliance or not, and even send will automatic notifications. Besides, this is insanely cheap for a big (should I say Huge) retailer like Wal-Mart, which is why most of the major retailers are starting to use it. That is precisely the trick. iCiX make it irresistible for huge retailer, and once they are in, they demand all their suppliers (small or big) to register. The pricing is based by location, not by the size of the supplier, so this may come costly for some small supplier.

On the other hand, if you are the supplier, this most likely will not have any value, especially if you are using it for just one customer, since you could have simple e-mail or fax the documents right? So far, for small supplier, this is just another cost of doing business. They try to sell you other packages that will add value to the suppliers, such as recall module and CAR module, but the problem is that for this to work, all your distribution network has to be registered in iCiX, which is not our case.

Have fun with iCiX!

Thanked by 3 Members:

Bob29

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

I have two customers who require us to be a member. We use it only for themselves. Personally, I find it totally useless. The current methods of electronic communication could very well have done the trick. Maybe if more people were using it, it would worth it.

Thanked by 1 Member:

L.M.R.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

We use it as well and I find it incredibly difficult to use. It's not user friendly by any means.

Thanked by 1 Member:

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:45 PM

We use it as well and I find it incredibly difficult to use. It's not user friendly by any means.

I don't know that I have or will use enough of it to determine how difficult it is to use. I will say I was expecting to see a corrective action reqest list that I needed to answer but instead I got a copy of the report (which I already had from e-mail) and a note saying to respond.

My response will be a pdf of my corrections that could have easily been e-mailed. :dunno:

I agree with Antores, it seems like something that the big guys can use and their participation makes it a requirement for the little guys.

sarahfoodtech

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

Agree with the above posts! It is for Uber large customers who want a digital system to notify all suppliers in a mass call for their new requirements, automated responses for audits and CARs. I don't mind using it, but it has no real benefit for the supplier.
The only issues come up when you are super busy and don't check the system often enough and miss an update or request! They will not share your information with anyone but the intended parties.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users