• Quick Navigation
Photo

How do tobacco companies become HACCP or ISO 22000 certified?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:16 AM

For the sake of discussion only, I’m just curios on the possibility of tobacco companies to become HACCP, ISO 22000 certified (or other food safety standards)

Facts:
- Over 5 million people a year killed by tobacco
- Tobacco companies know exactly what there product does. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on earth. I myself found it difficult to quit from smoking. It took me years to work up to it.
- In fairness, tobacco companies warned people ahead of time of the dangers of smoking cigarettes in compliance to requirement for product warning labels. It read: Government Warning: Cigarette Smoking Is Dangerous To Your Health

Have any thoughts?

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:46 AM

Funny, it’s only now I realized that tobacco is non-food, therefore any food safety standards is not applicable. :roflmao:

Edited by mind over matter, 17 June 2011 - 12:48 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

Dear MOM,

Actually it appears that Tobacco can be regarded as a food :biggrin: -

Attached File  ssc_iso_22000_qu1.pdf   256.29KB   19 downloads
(see pg5 > produce)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:42 AM

Dear MOM, Actually it appears that Tobacco can be regarded as a food :biggrin: - Attached File  ssc_iso_22000_qu1.pdf   256.29KB   19 downloads (see pg5 > produce) Rgds / Charles.C

Thanks for the information, fav Charle C. So, the question remains, how do tobacco companies become HACCP or ISO 22000?

Over 5 million people a year killed by tobacco. It is worse than E. Coli outbreak, IMO.

Edited by mind over matter, 18 June 2011 - 05:56 AM.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the information, fav Charle C. So, the question remains, how do tobacco companies become HACCP or ISO 22000?

Over 5 million people a year killed by tobacco. It is worse than E. Coli outbreak, IMO.

Tobacco is huge business for tobacco companies and for governments the world over; to you and I and many others it may 'feel' ethically wrong, but the fact is tobacco products are completely legal. So the point is tobacco manufacturers must ensure consistency of safety, legality, and quality of product supplied to the customer. Not in terms of long term use, but in terms of that cigarette you pull out of the pack.

Tobacco companies are similar to food companies in so much as they are heavily regulated in the ingredients they use, marketing and product standards including the manufacturing. Tobacco manufactures need a risk based management system so something along the lines of ISO 9001/HACCP, ISO 22000, BRC etc. would be very useful. I have to say though I don’t know if any tobacco companies are certified to any of the Food Safety Management Systems, or whether there is a specific standard for the industry.

Check out this previous topic for some real life experiences and information:
http://www.ifsqn.com...bacco-industry/

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users