• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

hi everyone!

i am working in a hotel now, and with around 10 restaurants to control and audit it can be a bit daunting and frustrating to find new items here and there that are not part of our accredited food items from approved suppliers.

since sometimes we run out of stock of a certain ingredient and have to buy from the local grocer or supermarket, does anybody have any policy and procedure in controlling such emergency purchases? i know this can also occur in some restaurants where ingredients have to be exported or are not from the area.

Posted Imageany advice or help would really be appreciated. just to make sure i haven't missed anything out.

thanks again!

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:07 AM

Kabayan (fellow citizen)

Gaano kadalas ang minsan? (How often is sometimes?) :) Emergency purchases are not supposed to be becoming usual....

I suggest you include a system for traceability of products being purchased by a non-approved supplier in an emergency.

Edited by mind over matter, 09 October 2011 - 05:11 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:17 AM

hi everyone!

i am working in a hotel now, and with around 10 restaurants to control and audit it can be a bit daunting and frustrating to find new items here and there that are not part of our accredited food items from approved suppliers.

since sometimes we run out of stock of a certain ingredient and have to buy from the local grocer or supermarket, does anybody have any policy and procedure in controlling such emergency purchases? i know this can also occur in some restaurants where ingredients have to be exported or are not from the area.

Posted Imageany advice or help would really be appreciated. just to make sure i haven't missed anything out.

thanks again!

Dear Althene

First of all I would try to find out why you are having a stock problem: the real needs are not properly measured? the problem is focused in one product or in one supplier, then why? etc

But as alternatives I would say:

- buy the product you are run out to a one of your approved supplier`s clients ( if possible)
- enlarge your approved supplier list
- on the other hand, buying in authorized supermarkets or buying distribution marks products should give you a good confidence. You know, most of the distribution labels products are under a very demanding sanitary controls

I hope this help and tell us how you finally sort the problem out

Best regards
Esther

Thanked by 1 Member:

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

I have an idea. To minimize the risk, for emergency purchase, you may only purchase from non-accredited suppliers that maintains a third party certified management system such as ISO 22000 or so. However, suppliers certification is not mandatory in ISO 22000.

Best advice is what Esther said: Buy the product you are run out to a one of your approved supplier's clients (if possible)

Edited by mind over matter, 10 October 2011 - 03:00 AM.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

I agree with Esther, try to minimise emergency purchases by good stock planning and stock control (FIFO), keep waste low and operate tight portion control. Where you must make emergency purchases try to minimise the number of suppliers and perhaps use supermarkets and brands, have approved supplier lists. Also monitor the number of and reasons for emergency purchases and take preventive measures to reduce.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users