• Quick Navigation
Photo

What to Include in a Glass & Brittle Material Register?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Jimbo

Grade - Active

• 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

HI All
This is my first my first post so hopefully i have comkpleted it correctly and it makes sense.

I'm currently looking to update our glass and hard purspex register to include all brittle matierials. The thing i'm struggling the most is with plastics. What is considered brittle and what is considered hard wearing/flexible enough to not to be checked. Current almost everything that is plastic is on the registers exclusing plastic wheel on trolleys.

We have alot of plastic whithin our production areas and sometimes it seems we spend so long looking at possibly low risk items that the high risk items seem to get lost agmonst them. All items have currently been risk assesed and most havecome out as a monthly check, even with our factory split into 4 areas ( 4 weekly checks) this still means 5-6 pages of items, many of which their are multiples.
Would simplyfying the registers for the high risk items and then have the low risk items looked at during a general building fabrication audits on a four weekly basis be enough?

This would then enable us to create maps of high risk items and ensure all staff are more aware and focused on the items taht could cause the biggest food safet issues

Thoughts Please

Thank you in advance

Bag man

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

Hi Jimbo

Items such as polycarboate, polythene and polypropylene should not shatter and maybe ok. But despite that, in my industry (food packaging) I have them listed in my breakables register. I don't allow any brittle plastics like "perspex" (which is a trade name for Acrylic) certain PVCs such as transparencies in ceiling panels.
These are replaced with shatterproof materials in high risk areas.
I simplify my breakables audit by listing everything on a site map as you suggested just like pest control points or fire points. This avoids any confusion.
Depending on your business, you may have an issue with personal items like mobile phones and MP3 players and pens etc.
I hope this helps
Best wishes.

John.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

You should list all your brittle plastic, perspex, glass, forklift lights, gauges etc by having a register for each area with the numbers of items and this will assist you immensely in the long run.

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Just to add to the great advice already provided.

Where you can try to remove, replace or protect glass and brittle plastics. Prevent employees or contractors bringing glass and brittle plastics into the factory. Make sure any new machinery and equipment is risk assessed and specified to be free from glass and brittle plastics.

Once you've minimised then list what you have left by area. Risk assess the list so that items with a higher chance of contaminating product (e.g. in, around and over product lines) are audited more frequently.

Personally I like to build an integrity check of high risk glass and brittle plastic into shift start up or production order changeover, carried out by operators. So if something does go wrong it is identified and corrected quickly before it can cause bigger problems, potential product recalls or worse.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:
sci

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:29 AM

Do we have list out shatterproof material at our production area?

HARPC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Do we have list out shatterproof material at our production area?

Should we? Would like to hear any reason if we do or do not.

Sincerely,

Bill

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users