• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

Dear Fellows,
We are using returned glass bottles for the production of beverage. As bottle returns they contain foreign matter like straw, wrapper and other transparent plastics.In bottle washer, bottles are cleaned but these foreign matters are not being removed in bottle washer as there is o such mechanism in machine. We have deployed manual segregation step after washing to remove bottles containing straw. Bottles are also inspected for presence of foreign matter after filling of beverage.
Now some time it happens that these two controls fail and bottle with foreign matter goes to consumer/shopkeeper. We have asked our machine manufacturer to supply some suitable electronic solution. They have offered electronic bottle inspector for this purpose. but when installed bottle with even a single scratch outside was also rejected.
Can any one has similar experience and suggest some better solution or some machine which detects foreign matter only????

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hi Rizwan, sounds like you need something like the equipment described in this news article: X-Ray Inspection System Enhances Contaminant Detection in Glass Jars and Bottles

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

MKRMS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 31 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland
  • Interests:Food microbiology and related fields: conservation, cooking, cooling, re-heating, storage<br />HACCP and food safety management in in small and medium sized businesses<br />EU and international food legislation<br />Food Standards

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

Hi Rizwan,

Would re-calibrating the detection system so it doesn't discard bottles with minor differences from the idea solve your probleml? Adjusting the system's sensitivity might reduce the bottles that are incorrectly discarded. Another option might be to collect all discarded bottles and re-sort them manually (only bottles that ar reliably uncontaminated to be allowed to re-enter circulation.

At the same time it might be useful to discard not only heavily soiled bottles but also those that are (significantly) damaged to avoid or reduce accidental breakages on the filling line.

Regards,

MKRMS

MKRMS Food Safety - Be on the FOOD SAFE side!
http://www.mkrms.com

Rizwan Ali

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

Dear Simon, yes I need similar solution but for low density contaminants. any further if you can...

Dear

MKRMS

, I will try this one also but I am doubtful about results.

Dr Vu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 235 posts
  • 51 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Action movies...

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Try Quidview from Smiths detection

A vu in time , saves nine

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

I don't have experience of this but I would suggest trying to work on the bottle washer first is the most important thing as no detection system is 100% effective. Are the bottles inverted as part of the washing process?

Also don't forget people, sometimes they can be just as effective as a fancy, shmansy detector, especially if used in combination with other methods and well supervised. Are the bottles put on manually? Can you ask them to remove the ones with straws? Could you not reimburse for bottles returned with items inside? Might not be practical but just trying to suggest there are lots of ways to approach this problem, sometimes we jump to automation when something else might be more effective.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

Dear Rizwan Ali,

I assume you are refilling these bottles with intended ready-to-drink product.

After reading yr OP, i am surprised that you don't get consistently unacceptable micro.results.

As per previous post, it sounds like the bottle washing procedure is simply below standard.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users