Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Many logistics companies want to develop their business and want to store in a distribution center many kinds of products: food products, food packaging, cleaning chemicals , equipments, even animal feed.
For the chemicals ii is clear that you'll need a different area.
Also you'll need a segregation between raw materials and finished product.
You can not store fresh fish with cheese, this is obvious.

There is a regulation stipulating what kind of food can be stored together and which must be separated?

For example, in my opinion, packed products like sweets, sauces and fresh potatoes in raffia neting can not be stored together. A product like fresh vegetables is a high risk of contamination for the warehouse and for other products ( ground, infestation).
Am I right or am I exagerating?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,841 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Does anyone have knowledge / experience of good storage and distribution practice?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

deea

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Romania
    Romania

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

I asked and read a lot about this issue. Unfortunately the food safety is not an exact science.

The issues to consider are the condition of the products when received - there can be problems if the vegetables are in poor condition attracting small flies or if the products are contaminated already. Some times there are special storage requirements if they are stored long term such as air movement and avoidance of lightIf they are in good condition, can be adequately segregated, and are stored for a short period before further distribution then it should be OK.

I don't know if adequately segregated means a room for its or it's enough a dedicated area.

m.erzetti

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 25 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy
  • Interests:Consultant for ISO 9001; ISO 17025; ISO 22000; BRC & IFS. I worked at the University of Perugia in the CERB (Italian Brewing Research Centre) as Quality Manager (ISO 9001 - ISO 17025)

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi, I didn't find something about what you are looking for except for the structural requirements (see Reg. (CE) n° 852/2004 attach II).

But as you correctly wrote you should make a risk analysis for all the possibile contamination (not only microbiological) between the raw materials you are going to storage together (ex: no fish with meet; no meet of cow near poulty one; no food with strong aroma near the flat one, and so on).

Ciao
Mauro

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Dear deea,

It’s an interesting OP. Unfortunately the potential scope is enormous, eg there are entire books on this topic, not to forget a BRC standard of storage and distribution.

Just as an illustration, I enclose a minute sample of documents from googling “food warehousing cross-contamination” (163,000 hits).

Attached File  standards of warehousing.doc   1.26MB   181 downloads

Attached File  SafeFoodHandling.doc   133.5KB   103 downloads
(my PC noted a damaged table somewhere in the document but i didn't see anything)

Attached File  fsis meat,poultry,eggs- safety,security of transportation,distribution.pdf   512.05KB   69 downloads

Attached File  campbells FS manual - SupplyRequirements.pdf   1.22MB   109 downloads
(eg ch.13)
Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tom New

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Could it also be worth getting a copy of the BRC Standard for food distribution? I am not hugely familiar with it, but I visit a lot of food distribution sites which have achieved that standard. Clearly it may be more than you are looking for in terms of going for an accreditation, but it would certainly give you good targets in terms of best practice on your site.

Cheers, Tom.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Food Quality Assurance Consulting

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users