• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hi Guys,

Please i have a question concering HACCP certification.As the quality manager in my company, i am preparing the company for BRC accreditiation and would like to organise a HACCP team.my first question is:

is HACCP Level 3 CIEH accredited training the right certification for me tto get as the quality manager and the HACCP Team leader? (is it necessary to take level 1 & " before 3 because as you know its really expensive to get these certifications and would really like to hasten the process up)

My second question is: the other members of the HACCP Team do they also need to get the HACCP Level 3 training or can they just get level 1?

Please am in a dilema as i do not want to be seen as extravagant with company money and would want to propose only the necessary trainings to enable the team have a proper HACCP analysis of OOUr Pet Food manufacturing company site.

looking forward to any response.:helpplease:

ify

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

I have level 4 but I led HACCP teams with Level 3. I think Level 4 would be seen as best practice but Level 3 is fine.

Two of my HACCP team have Level 3 but I've just designed an internal training course for the others which is fine. I suspect the fact I have Level 4 though might mean me training the others is seen as ok.

If you have the money I would suggest Level 4 for the team leader and Level 3 for everyone else. No-one has the money though so your other options are Level 3 for the TL and internal training or level 1 or 2 for everyone else. I don't think many auditors would have an issue with that.

I went straight to Level 3 but I'd had internal training before that so I had some knowledge of HACCP and how it is applied but not a massive amount. Still got credit though so I can't have been too bad!

ify

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

thanks soooo much GMO for this reply.You have been more than helpful.Yea would really want to have the level 4 but i suspect my company might lean forward to level 3 , so i would just go for the level 3 as team leader and then level one for everyother team member.

I also think since i only have my personal aquired knowlegde of what HACCP is and how its applied, i think it might be best to do a level 3 as level 4 might be too advanced as a first step...what do you think?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Dear Ify,

I'm not in the UK but I seem to recall that sample test papers are available for these various levels if you wish to self-evaluate. They all seemed pretty tough to me. :smile:

I think there are even some threads here discussing "trick" questions which have been encountered. I vaguely remember thinking that the degree of analysis at the highest levels was perhaps approaching overkill for many practical applications / environments (ie i began to feel rather inadequate :smile: ). For example the treatment seemed more demanding than presented in the (probably ?) most utilised general text on haccp by Mortimore and Wallace.

Just a passing observation. Actual students should be the most objective.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:20 AM

thanks soooo much GMO for this reply.You have been more than helpful.Yea would really want to have the level 4 but i suspect my company might lean forward to level 3 , so i would just go for the level 3 as team leader and then level one for everyother team member.

I also think since i only have my personal aquired knowlegde of what HACCP is and how its applied, i think it might be best to do a level 3 as level 4 might be too advanced as a first step...what do you think?

Yes I agree. I doubt any certification body would let you go in at Level 4 on HACCP anyway so you probably won't have a choice.

Yep, Level 3 and 4 are both hard, but I still got credit and distinction. Yes I am a swot. :oops: Despite all that and several more senior members of staff at my old site failing level 4 on first attempt, they still didn't want to retain me part time after my maternity leave. Just goes to show you, smarts gets you nowhere in life!

ify

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Dear Ify,

I'm not in the UK but I seem to recall that sample test papers are available for these various levels if you wish to self-evaluate. They all seemed pretty tough to me. :smile:

I think there are even some threads here discussing "trick" questions which have been encountered. I vaguely remember thinking that the degree of analysis at the highest levels was perhaps approaching overkill for many practical applications / environments (ie i began to feel rather inadequate :smile: ). For example the treatment seemed more demanding than presented in the (probably ?) most utilised general text on haccp by Mortimore and Wallace.

Just a passing observation. Actual students should be the most objective.

Rgds / Charles.C

I agree charles, i think it is really difficult, as a matter of fat am not even sure am ready to take the certification but my position is kind of demanding that i start looking into it, which is why i am.do you have an idea where i caan locate the 'trick question' threads on this site? (Been browsing through the HACCP Topic on this forum looking for it)

Hi GMO, your funny! i know, too many company politics going on in your company i think...but then again tell me which company that doesnt have company politics? haha.your good and you know it, so i think thats all that should count.all the best!

Jayqc

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hi Ify,

The link below has more info on level 4 and also a couple of sample papers
http://www.rsph.org....d-Manufacturing

ify

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

Hi Ify,

The link below has more info on level 4 and also a couple of sample papers
http://www.rsph.org....d-Manufacturing

thanks alot jayqc!!! ur a star!!! will atleast hv an idea of what the questions are like and kknow how to prepare for the certification.:clap:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Hi GMO, your funny! i know, too many company politics going on in your company i think...but then again tell me which company that doesnt have company politics? haha.your good and you know it, so i think thats all that should count.all the best!

Posted Image

Ha, ha, ha! Yeah I am (modest too). I think it just took a while to find a company where I fitted in. I'm happy working for a small company where any issues are in your face and dealt with rather than the whispering behind closed doors.

When I went off for my maternity leave from my last job, we'd had 6 months without a single microbiological swab or product failure (not one). Within 6 months they'd had an EPW for Listeria. I can't wait to see what they get on BRC this year now the quality system I implemented is a good few years out of date... Posted Image

Not that I'm bitter. No. Not at all.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Dear ify,

do you have an idea where i caan locate the 'trick question' threads on this site? (Been browsing through the HACCP Topic on this forum looking for it)

This is an example thread but i think there are others also -

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__41467

Try searching "cieh" (without the inverted commas) and you will get a good selection of reading material. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
ify

Dairy

Grade - Active

• 18 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

One does not have to have previous levels done to start, for example, at level 4. I'm not long in the food industry but I started at level 5 and completed level 6 this year. To be honest though one would need at least one years experience working with HACCP in the Food industry to start at level 5 - I only had 6 months and found the concepts difficult to grasp - I waited a year before doing level 6 and found this much more beneficial. Some customers have a preference for one member of HACCP Team (prefereably TL) to have level 6. For example, Tesco have a base requirement that all HACCP team members have Intermediate level training which is a two day course with a mandatory examination (we interpret this as level 5) - they then have an "Aspirational" requirement that one member of the team has done the advanced course (Level 6).

ify

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Posted Image

Ha, ha, ha! Yeah I am (modest too). I think it just took a while to find a company where I fitted in. I'm happy working for a small company where any issues are in your face and dealt with rather than the whispering behind closed doors.

When I went off for my maternity leave from my last job, we'd had 6 months without a single microbiological swab or product failure (not one). Within 6 months they'd had an EPW for Listeria. I can't wait to see what they get on BRC this year now the quality system I implemented is a good few years out of date... Posted Image

Not that I'm bitter. No. Not at all.

aww am sure by the sounds of it, they probably wont do well this year....but well good for you that you work where you are now!

Charles thanks aloooot for that link and the search tip, :thumbup: already checking it out .

Diary thanks i will read up about levels 5 and 6 and then decide which is best.

thanks guys, ur all amazing!!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users