• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

hi guys, want to ask some opinion,

my micro lab's laminar flow cover is broken and now, they are using a cardboard to close the laminar flow.

due to this, they are unable to use the UV light to sterilize the HEPA filter and work area. but they do sterilize the work area with alcohol before starting micro work.

i already told them to carry out some open plate test and result shows no viable colony growth on the plate.

1. is it really necessary to use the UV light?
2. is closing the laminar flow with a cardboard good enough for the laminar flow?

appreciate your ideas and help if any.

Dr.Des

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hi
I assume you mean the front cover/door is broken?
If so the unit should really be taken out of use until it is repaired properly, absolutley no way would I trust a broken cabinet. I would take it out of use until it's repaired to be honest.
The units are designed to direct air in a very controlled manner so that the operators are protected, and the work area is kept clean. Rigging up a bit of cardboard is very likely to disrupt that flow of air, and cause you problems. It's hard to tell if the airflow is disrupted, and without knowing that it's ok then you may as well be doing the work on an open bench for all the good the cabinet is doing.

As for the UV light, they are a good help, but washing the area with alcohol should theoretically kill off most contamination that has settled on the surfaces so should be ok.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users