Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• El Salvador
    El Salvador

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

One of our customers asked us to have an Xray Scan as a CCP for their product in metallized pouch, since it's only one line of production, it became a CCP for that product in general.

Now we have another costumer who is requiring a Metal Detector in the plastic bag product, he hasn't quoted anything about making it a CCP. There is an internal debate within QA and Production if should be installed as a CCP or not.

This product has 3 lines of production installed, our client's goes trough 1 especific line.

Can this step be installed as a clients requirement in just 1 line? If it is stated as a CCP then would it be ok if only this client's product is scanned by the MD or should all of our product go trough it? Meaning more than one MD due to the size of production.

If it is not a CCP, how can it be called? an inspection step? o process stage? does the terms CP or oPRP be accepted in a BRC scheme?

Edited by ajrfrank, 04 October 2012 - 12:05 AM.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

I don’t know, but 70% of members voted yes in this longrunning and popular poll.

If you are feeling brave there are 17pages of discussion to get through…

MetalDetection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Dear ajrfrank,

Can this step be installed as a clients requirement in just 1 line? If it is stated as a CCP then would it be ok if only this client's product is scanned by the MD or should all of our product go trough it? Meaning more than one MD due to the size of production.

If it is not a CCP, how can it be called? an inspection step? o process stage? does the terms CP or oPRP be accepted in a BRC scheme?

CCP depends on yr risk assessment, not the client.

see the comments in yr previous thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__55669

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

ajrfrank

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• El Salvador
    El Salvador

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for your help, very useful on the risk assesment. We are about to do the evaluation and determine if CCP or not.

I just need some opinions in this.

Result is not a CCP, can this be an inspection step on this client's product line? I would have to instal 1 MD in 1 processing line.

Result is a CCP, does that mean that I have to place a MD for all 4 lines of production? (1 MD doesn´t fits our size of production) does the CCP statement makes me scan all of our products? or would I be able to scan just the line dedicated for this only client?

jorick

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

dear ajrfrank,

I agree with Charles C in the way that saying if MD is a CCP or not depend on your risk assesment and not on your customer wish. After if he has some remarks to say about it, he can explain himself and you can review or not your HACCP analysis.

About your risk assesment, the question I have is mainly about your historic and your threshold of detection for both technologie.
- do you have any issues with metal ? if yes, how high is your criticity (frequency x severity)? do you need to use the decision tree to check if it is a CCP ? (this serie of question is mainly valable to say if you need to install a MD on all of your lines of production)
- then, if your MD and the Xray scan are on the same line, is the threshold of the MD lower than the Xray scan's ? if not, your Xray scan will be the CCP because it will be the control measure for this risk. Then, is it useful to install a MD if the real control point is the Xray scan? Personnally I've never seen Xray scan more efficient than a MD.
- if your MD is better as a control measure, the question of CCP or oPRP (CP) is logic. This is all depending about your decision tree. if you use a decision tree that only mention the CCP, you will certainly found that your MD is a CCP. if you considere the oPRP you will certainly find a oPRP. But this is an enormous debat.

hope it would help.

regards

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users