• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do you agree with the auditor that can seamer is not a CCP?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

ati

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 26 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

Dear all,

My company have been audit last week and the auditor says that the can seamer is not a CCP as it's not really hazard related-mold due to the product are high acid (carbonated soft drinks).

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

CCP or not what control measures do you have in place to ensure a good seam?
I'm sure your customers or the end consumer wouldn't want a bad seam - what's your experience? Does it ever happen? What is the result?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

It's your HACCP and risk assessment, so if you want it as a CCP then as long as you have the rational behind it.

If you think about seam tear downs, you probably only do 2 or 3 tests per hour and in that time you many have canned thousands of cans. Can you guarentee that all tese "missed" cans are ok?

INO i think it should be.

Caz

jpalombi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

It depends on your risk assessment. Is a faulty seam likely to cause serious injury, illness, or death? Or, is it mostly an economic hardship?

In high acid foods, your microbial concerns may be non-exsistent due to acid content, pH level and the inability of pathogens to grow. Your concerns for physical injury from exploding cans (carbonation) might be a consideration though. Ask yourself the questions and see what your answers are, and what support there is for your argument....documented cases, growth studies, etc.

If you find that faulty seams are not a CCP, they are most certainly a QCP.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users